Peugeot Forums banner
401 - 420 of 434 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Pretty well all manufacturers are building to a price these days, cutting corners where they can.

And how do you define a decent warranty? One that the manufacturer actually honours? All vehicles come with one, but there are tremendous variations on the way the manufacturer treats the eventual owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a Toyota 4th generation hybrid, over 20+ years of hybrid innovation & there pretty much bulletproof.
Mechanically they are fine, I’ve owned two myself in the past.

The problem is catalytic converter theft making the cars useless.

I got rid of mine and bought a diesel, check out all the comments here from former loyal Toyota hybrid owners like me who would never buy another:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got word from the garage that Peugeot will own up and cover the repair as an extended goodwill warranty.

Looking at this mess from the bright side, at least I'll get the timing belt replaced for free a bit earlier instead of doing it on next scheduled service.

The mechanic said this issue is not uncommon on older 1.2 three cylinder engines. Peugeot apparently has changed the material in the belt on newer units (did not mention any specific year/month).

So be advised: you guys driving 2014 and 2015 308:s maybe should check this.

Skickat från min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk
Replacing the timing belt does not address the main issue, which is the degradation of the timing belt, and subsequent clogging of the oil strainer etc due to particles entering the oil. This is a design fault and could cause catastrophic engine failure due to loss of oil pressure. I wouldn’t buy a car that used this type of cam belt lubrication, but I suppose many others would argue its case.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Here's ( via a contact in the trade ) is a factory fitted belt before removal from an early 2017 built Puretech 110 with less then 40k miles on - he said it wasn't in good condition & has always had correct spec oil.

Apparently there is now a generation 4 timing belt available from Peugeot & that's what's been fitted to it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's ( via a contact in the trade ) is a factory fitted belt before removal from an early 2017 built Puretech 110 with less then 40k miles on - he said it wasn't in good condition & has always had correct spec oil.

Apparently there is now a generation 4 timing belt available from Peugeot & that's what's been fitted to it now.

View attachment 94197
Hi,
Do you have a Peugeot part number for the new built and what years it fits?

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Bloke I know with a May 2017 built Purecrap 130 powered 308 has just had to have the oil pick up cleaned & timing belt replaced at 45k miles.

This car fell outside the scope of the JZR recall due to build date.

·
Registered
3008 PureTech EAT6
10 Posts
Hey guys,

Having read each and every post of this horror series last night, the first thing I did in the morning was to remove the oil filler cap. The belt looks fine with a longditunal texture on it (like brushed metal). No signs of chamfering, swelling or crumbling.

Then I took the car to EuroRepar and the mechanic said it was ok too. We havent seen any signs of wear on the bolts so this suggests the belt was never serviced.

The car is 2017MY registered in August. I am guessing engine build date is late April or early May. Not sure which level of belt has been installed. Is there a way to know engine build date?

When manufacturers release an updated part, there is this parameter that sets interchangebility between older and new level parts. In cases like this, the logical thing to do is to decommision the older level and scrap/recycle remaining stock. Though, looking at PSA's stance at this problem, one suspects... This might be the reason behind post-2017MY failures. Even the belt supplier might have thrown in older stock among new.

PSA might have different engine plants and new level belts might have been implemented at different dates.

Not accusing anyone/corporation. Just using my usual skeptical approach as a quality diagnosis engineer for 8 years. Once I had to chase a hose failure for three months, which later turned out to be martens getting a taste of the air ducts... You never know...

Edit: spelling

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would the crankshaft failing likely be caused by the timing belt issues? I'm thinking if it was starved of oil with the pump being blocked etc. Mines past the recall width test but I have a knock coming from the bottom end. Strangely the car drives very well with no warning lights, misfires etc.

The car is going back to Peugeot next week for further examination. The free health report that was done at the same time as the belt inspection mentions the belt needs replacing, oil pump examining and picks up on the knock noise and mentions possible new engine.

I'm just trying to pre-empt the fact it could have been caused by anything other than the belt failing (in case Peugeot want to try to pull that one...).

·
Registered
257 Posts
another idea from oil forums....
in general, oxidation of oil makes organic acids, and oil will darken and may go thick. (TAN-acid number goes up)
that´s why oil should have big chemical reserve to neutralise acids (TBN-base number)
i´m afraid b71 2290+b71 2312 oils are weak in this regard.. and the long drain intervals are making it worse..

i was shocked by how fast the total 0w30 goes dark..... i have clean burning lpg so it should not come from fuel.... i tried few oils, but none was this dark so fast.
i now have the mentioned vst 5w40, which has organic tungsten additive. it is strong at lowering friction, and also oil oxidation. (not cheap)

looking at dipstick (greater mileage now), it looks like new.... total was much darker at shorter mileage.
so much for
bull:poop:

401 - 420 of 434 Posts