Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a major fail on my 2015 1.2 puretech 110bhp with 107000 km on the clock.
After a breakdown on the highway the car has been towed to the Peugeot garage.
After first examination the mechanic reports that the timing belt has started to crumble and the debris from it has clogged the oil system causing issues with oil pressure.
The car has been serviced by the book by an authorized Peugeot garage (as recently as September this year) and cam belt replacement is not due until next service that is 20000 km away.
It is out of warranty. But the garage will try to make Peugeot take the costs since it might be a type related issue and car has been properly serviced.
So you guys driving this engine with lower milage than mine might want to have the belt and oil system checked before you are hit too.
Cheers!

Skickat från min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's just over 66,000 miles ? well under the quoted 'Lifetime' 110,000 miles or 10 years The timing belt runs in oil i think the oil change intervals like many today are too long,i think 6-8000 miles if only doing short trips i have changed mine twice in 20,000 miles (one was an interim) due for another in a month or so but now with what happened to you feel even more changes may be needed,looks like Peugeot's quotes are based on light duty.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have a major fail on my 2015 1.2 puretech 110bhp with 107000 km on the clock.
After a breakdown on the highway the car has been towed to the Peugeot garage.
After first examination the mechanic reports that the timing belt has started to crumble and the debris from it has clogged the oil system causing issues with oil pressure.
The car has been serviced by the book by an authorized Peugeot garage (as recently as September this year) and cam belt replacement is not due until next service that is 20000 km away.
It is out of warranty. But the garage will try to make Peugeot take the costs since it might be a type related issue and car has been properly serviced.
So you guys driving this engine with lower milage than mine might want to have the belt and oil system checked before you are hit too.
Cheers!

Sorry to hear that buddy, hope Peugeot cough up for the repair and your not left out of pocket. It definitely sounds to me to be a premature failure caused by an inferior/ faulty part. All the best :thumb:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If the belt is degrading due to oil contact, then how can more frequent oil changes make any difference? It's the belt which should be changed more frequently, or the material changed to one which is not affected by oil.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
This is 1 of the many improvements manufacturers are doing the belt RUNS IN THE OIL !!!

Ford done it to the 1.8 tdci engine used to be chain driven lower half changed it to wet belt the teeth fall off the belt and wrecks the engine !

This engine will have the same bad reputation in a few years time and its totally their own stupid fault its a mad design destined for failure.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening on this engine, I've also heard that due to the complex wet belt design changing the timing belt is a really major job. So much for their "masterpiece of engineering". It seems that Peugeot can't come up with a decent petrol engine that's reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the belt is degrading due to oil contact, then how can more frequent oil changes make any difference? It's the belt which should be changed more frequently, or the material changed to one which is not affected by oil.
Totally agree.If the belt is running in oil, whether the oil changes are more or less frequent, it should not make any difference. It seems more like defective materials used in the belt itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally agree.If the belt is running in oil, whether the oil changes are more or less frequent, it should not make any difference. It seems more like defective materials used in the belt itself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got word from the garage that Peugeot will own up and cover the repair as an extended goodwill warranty.

Looking at this mess from the bright side, at least I'll get the timing belt replaced for free a bit earlier instead of doing it on next scheduled service.

The mechanic said this issue is not uncommon on older 1.2 three cylinder engines. Peugeot apparently has changed the material in the belt on newer units (did not mention any specific year/month).

So be advised: you guys driving 2014 and 2015 308:s maybe should check this.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its a double edged sword if oil changes are not done the carbon in the oil gives the belt a hard life so it DOES make a difference.

The belt is not the same rubber as a timing belt on a normal engine it is more plastic than rubber so the oil wont affect it but its still a stupid idea and its like the timing chain in modern engines its not quite up to the job.

In the next few years you are going to hear about this more and more as people dont know it even has a belt !

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Looking at this mess from the bright side, at least I'll get the timing belt replaced for free a bit earlier instead of doing it on next scheduled service.
Good news.
Looking at it from the downside, a part of the belt is lurking around somewhere starving a gallery of oil..

It can happen on the RCZ when a guide fails. Then because the replacement job wasn't thorough enough the replacement chain fails due to lack of lubrication.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oil will become contaminated especially with cold starts during winter where unburnt fuel can pass down the bores diluting the oil just a theory but this contamination of the oil could be degrading the belt so less contamination the less chance of belt failure any vehicle will benefit from more frequent oil changes its called preventative maintainance a small price now is better than a large price later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting facts there. I'm in the north of Sweden where we have sub-zero temperature half of the year. Hence a lot of cold starts for the engine and bigger risk of oil contamination.
Maybe that's why this happens to my car?

Peugeot probably cheaped out on testing and quality control. Probably just drove around on test tracks in the Nordics for a couple of weeks, not three years :).

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a known issue with PSA pureTech 1.2L . It has been discussed here before.
Timing belt should be replaced before 100,000 km per PSA new instructions.
I'm surprised your authorized dealer skipped that . He should pay for your time loss.

·
6,422 Posts
As said in the previous thread on this. If engine flush has been used at anytime they will reject any warranty claim as there is supposed to be an issue with engine flush attacking the belt

·
Registered
2 Posts
me too

I just got my car back after having a delaminated timing belt. I note the oil they have put back in the car 0w30 is not the same as was originally in the car, that was 10w30. Also the timing belt part number has changed suggesting it is a different belt. I have been told to maintain recommended peugeot oils currently 0W30 to prevent any ongoing issues.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Which engine is this?

EDIT

Just seen your other post. I can see why, with a wet timing belt, they might say that the correct oil is important.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts