Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening lads, since last posting the 307 hdi has been sold and I am now the proud owner of my old 306 hdi again. Shes a poor old beast with 221k on the clock but my love for her ment when the opertunity arose i couldnt say no (plus i needed the cash from the 307 for my mr2 project lol)

Anyway the box on the 306 is about to blow up so Iv picked up a phase 2 XUD for £160 with the intention of dropping the lump and a few body panels across to the HDI and run her on veggy. My main worry is the HDI has abs but the XUD doesnt and I have to change the hdi box so am asuming I need to swap shafts aswell? Possiblily the hubs to?

I know its a bit out there but thought if anyone would know it would be someone on here. Also any info on the actual swap would be appreciated. Ill get some pics of the motors up shortly.

Thanks dudes :thumb:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Brakes will be fine and have nothing to do with engine swap.

Keep the hdi box, brakes, shafts etc. It will give a better gear range than the dt box.

Its the electrics that may give a spot of trouble but this conversion has been done before and the reverse also.

Get yourself over to club306 - plenty of knowledgeable people on there that will help you with the swap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for gettin back to me dude. I cant use my hdi box as its about to blow lol. The engine loom will be getting swaped over so electrics should plug and play. Am gonna get both cars side by side today and compare the 2. il head over there and have a mooch round see if i can come up with anything else. Again thanks for gettin back to me. If theres any interest i might keep the thread going with updates.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The engine loom swap is not quite a direct swap IIRC due to different sensors and clocks etc.

If you can find a decent HDI box that would be your best bet as they are so much more suited to the diesel & modern daily driving than the dt.

Also the fuel tank in the hdi has a lift pump whereas the dt won't - but that's simple enough to resolve.

As said before over on club306 there are plenty of folk that have run various combinations. Friendly bunch that don't mind helping out.

I've just gone the other route and finally sold my 306 after nearly 7 years and bought a 307sw 136 hdi.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, iv just gone to club306 and my meberships expired and am broke till friday so cant rejoin lol. from what iv read so far id have to change the clocks in order for the rev counter to work as its fed of the ecu in the hdi. iv been looking at the loom in the dt today and it appears to have all the connectors in place for an abs system so its looking nice and easy there when that loom goes in the hdi, only problem i can forsee there is possibly a different abs pump in phase 2/3. Im going to look into grabbing another hdi box but money is tight at the moment and want to do head gasket/timing belt/water pump and bosch it before the lump goes in. Would be nice to get the front mount in at the same time but like i said moneys tight lol.

Anyway thanks the the replies boys:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
548 Posts
No worries - still think you can post in certain areas of club306 without membership so may be worth a look.

HDI box is not essential but if you are going to tune anyway its worth seeing if you can locate one cheap enough, plenty of end of life xsara/406/306's etc out there - as long as its cable operated you'll be fine.

While its out take a look at replacing the nylon bushes on the clutch arm as they are only pennies in the grand scheme of things and tend to wear causing a premature heavy clutch.

Most of loom will be same so should be a fairly easy swap - don't worry about ABS pump - it should be a direct plug n play.

Bosch is good for veg but if you are not that bothered about that then the lucas can be tuned for good power but is often overlooked. Unlike the bosch the compensator acts more like a limiter, so you whack up the main fueling and the compensator controls the off boost fueling.
JP's 1.9 DTurbo Lucas Pump Tuning Guide

Front mounted intercooler will help if you are tuning for bigger gains but won't add any power in itself. Top mount is usually good for up to around 20psi boost. If you want to stick with the top mount a zx one is slightly deeper iirc (may be a 405 - can't quite remember) If you've a ph3 the slight higher ridge in bonnet means the extra height shouldn't be an issue. If keeping the top mount you may wish to use the ph2 dt bonnet lining though as it helps direct air over it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the dt has a lucas pump on it and to be honest im running round in it on veg already lol no issues at all so far and its 100% svo and done 300 miles. To be fair i was going to bosch it just because iv read its better for svo and want something thats gonna keep on going with as little issues as possible.

The front mount is in prep for a dt04 turbo as im after something quite fast to laugh at the badboys round lincoln. plus its got to keep a smile on my face untill june when the mr2 turbo comes out to play:D And they just look cool lol

Ill defo be changing them bushes and thanks for the heads up there, the dt seems to have a really low, heavy clutch so that might explain that and my mates got the same issue with his.

As for the box what sort of flywheel clutch setup would be required? i know about changing the forks over.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the hdi flywheel/clutch are pretty much interchangeable with the dt.

If you are wanting to run 100% veg then def go for bosch as the lucas is not known to cope well and you may be on borrowed time - lower concentrations you may be ok but its not the favored pump. You could always run it for simplicity & cost until it goes pop, but tbh its prob easier changing outside of the car.

As for heavy clutch the bushes are a known issue - but I'd also change cable while you are on as with it being a RHD the cable runs over the top of exhaust near turbo so the greased inner dries out.

A bigger turbo can be the way but does come at a cost - if you want fun on a budget the late ph2 had a gt15, same as the hdi, these spool up quick and while not the best for outright top power they do make a fun drive. I know mine was quite rapid with that setup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair we have an abundance of dt sapres. we currently have 2 awaiting scrap and then theres the flat d to lol theres a group of 4 of us in lincoln and we all run 306 deisels and are forever picking up full cars that are going cheap lol and what we aint already got the local scrappy has and is sympethetic to our cause lol

Just gotta see what i can get the belt/water pump/headgasket for on our trade account tomorrow and then fingers crossed we will be pulling the engine out at the weekend and breading some new life into it before swaping out the hdi lump

Im pretty confident me and the boys can get it in and running without to many issues but like to have a rough idea of what were doing as ill need a car running for work

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update,

After a massive "descussion" with the mrs lol iv now aquired a xsara hdi with a good gearbox so thats coming out and will be fitted to the xud lump then dropped into the 306 hdi.

One main thing thats poped into my head is how will the alarm/imobiliser/key situation work? any ideas?

Also anybody need any dturbo or hdi spares gimme a holla weve got loads:thumb:

·
Registered
548 Posts
TBH you may be best to ditch the imobilizer as the two systems are different. Can easily be bypassed by running a switched? live to the stop solenoid on the injection pump.

Best to speak to people that have done the conversion (one way round or the other) as they'll be able to point in right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts