Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I taxied in a 1997 Peugeot 406 1.9 xud unit from 2007 to 2014. When the car was bought,it had 118k,and when it was retired from duty,it had 451,000 miles. Incidentally, when the mileometer moved from 299,999 miles,the clock read half the number 1 instead of three! Also in that space of time all it needed was a timing belt (after it broke!), And a clutch which I managed to put 250,000 miles on! Anyone else got high mileage stories? This is only my second post!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
Think my highest mileage XUD engine was a mere 262000 on a 305 van think it was around 170000 on it when i bought it for £80 so got my moneys worth out of it :)..

Think your taxi would have needed a little more than just a timing belt if it had broke,hard to see how it didnt damage any valves etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think my highest mileage XUD engine was a mere 262000 on a 305 van think it was around 170000 on it when i bought it for £80 so got my moneys worth out of it :)..

Think your taxi would have needed a little more than just a timing belt if it had broke,hard to see how it didnt damage any valves etc
It probably did. Because I'm not that mechanically minded, I assumed "timing belt". I had a feeling it was broke, so I got towed home. Some of our guys have done a lot more damage repeatedly trying to start cars after belts have broke! I'm just pointing out that with the exception of the timing belt and clutch, the car neeeded very little over 7 years. One of the reasons we all love Peugeots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it would have needed a camshaft and caps but still an easy fix they did not normally bend any valves just like HDIs dont bend valves they just break rockers
In our experience the hdis have more trouble for instance injector seals and wiring looms,I don't think they were as tough as xud. hard to believe that the hdi has been around for 20 years or so

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It probably did. Because I'm not that mechanically minded, I assumed "timing belt". I had a feeling it was broke, so I got towed home. Some of our guys have done a lot more damage repeatedly trying to start cars after belts have broke! I'm just pointing out that with the exception of the timing belt and clutch, the car neeeded very little over 7 years. One of the reasons we all love Peugeots.

Very cheap for a 305, Even the petrol ones went on forever. My uncle got rid of his with 192000 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts