Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only owned this car for a couple of months and quite obviously I'm keeping my eye on the MPG.

I understand from the 'Official' Peugeot brochures and motoring reports, the MPG for this model should be something of the order of 63 (long journeys), 43 (Urban) and 53 (mixed).

I also understand that the above figures are calculated in a controlled lab and mean basically absolutely f-all compared to normal road use! (why on earth do they allow manufacturers to do this? It means naff all at the end of the day)

However, I'd be interested to know what others who own the same model are getting from their cars.

I'm not innocent when it comes to my right foot. Sometimes I can be quite controlled and sensible, but every now and again... well I do toe it a little - one has too with some t*s*ers on the road these days.

At the moment I'm averaging 38 mpg. Does this sound right? What are you getting on your 136Bhp XSi HDi?

C

·
0 Posts
Your average MPG is really dependant on the type of driving you do, and the condition of the motor. The same motor in the 407 (heavier, but better aero, so it levels out somewhat) isn't brilliantly economical, with owners experiencing low to mid 40's MPG in genuine mixed motoring.

Remember as well that the manufactuers quoted 'combined' figure is not a genuinely tested figure that an average driver will typically achieve - it is simply the mathematical average of the Urban and Extra Urban figures.

Manufactuers test and publish their figures in this way, simply because this is how the EU tell them to do it. This causes further distortion of the truth as manufacturers quite naturally set the engines tune to give optimum MPG during the test, not on the real road. This is why quality remaps often give better MPG as they're designed to give their best on the tarmac, not on a laboratory dyno.

It's the same with noise testing. If a meaty engine is a bit noisy they tune it not to be too aggressive at the point in the range where the noise is tested. This and the tuning for the EU eco-test are why some cars have nasty annoying holes and flat spots in the power delivery, the 207GT being perhaps the best (or worst) example of the mess this can make once a car reaches the driver.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
As long as all of the manufacturers fiddle the mpg figures - then they will be meaningful in comparing cars.

I'm experimenting at the moment to see how much I can get out of a tank of fuel - by driving smoothly, changing gear at 2k, foot off accelerator going down hill etc.

I normally get 49mpg - interesting to see how 'economical' driving will change the figures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we've been doing some long motorway runs this weekend (nearly 700 miles in all).

At more or less 85mph on cruise control and in 6th gear we managed 44.6 miles per gallon.

We'd get more at a lower speed but that's plain boring.

C

·
0 Posts
Doesn't it defeat the object of buying the diesel somewhat if you don't drive it in a manner that gives you some chance of accessing decent economy?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
How's this then - 55mpg when driving economically.

Frankly its far too much effort to have to constantly think about your driving style - I'll happily accept 49mpg if it makes driving more pleasurable.

·
Super Moderator
1,748 Posts
chopper1192 said:
Doesn't it defeat the object of buying the diesel somewhat if you don't drive it in a manner that gives you some chance of accessing decent economy?
Driving a diesel hard still costs less than driving a petrol hard...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i used to average around 32mpg in my old 307 now in my focus (i know not pug) about 52mpg sensible/slow driving and 46mpg at a little heavy foot moments...very similar specs tho, to a diesel 307, similar BHP etc. but if i keep getting those 5p off a litre vouchers from tesco i pay 1.13p a litre for diesel so cheaper than petrol and can get more miles...win win as i say :D

but i was reading the post further up about how manufactures calculate mpg, and i can remember either last or the one before episode of watchdog and Smart/Merc are in trouble because they say around 80+mpg should be acheived in a smart car and not even a eco pro cannot do it...but they came round saying they did the test on a rolling road...not actual on the road tests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts