Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Have a 1.6 HDi (2009) with 140,000km on it. I'm getting a funny and repetitive "wuh wuh wuh" noise at idle that seems to be coming from the plastic cambelt cover (?) but is difficult to precisely locate. It's like something is rubbing similar to the brakes catching on a bicycle with a wheel out of round. It's quite quiet but sounds pretty much identical to the following youtube video:

Mine makes slightly less frequent noise than the video; maybe "wuh wuh wuh" pause for 3 seconds, then "wuh wuh wuh" again .

Car drives and idles fine, no error codes. Thinking it must be something mechanical.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe, if you can, get the cambelt cover off and have a look.

Hard to diagnose from a sound as 1 fault can have different sounds depending on the car, engine, damage.... etc.

Hopefully it'll be an obvious problem, but if you think its coming from the cambelt, don't leave it too long as thats a vital area.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it is the cambelt area, could be the bearings on the tensioner??

That would give you a similar noise with a delay while the bearings cycle round back to a flat/worn spot..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most often the alternator or power steering bearing maybe tensioner, pull belt and check for play/roughness before having to check timing belt. Heard this on a lot of different 206 petrol and diesel.
If timing belt is rubbing you should see white rubbing mark on the inside of black covers somewhere.

You could get a cheap stethoscope off ebay or from a motor factors, i find them handy to locate noises like this. Make sure it one with the long attachment though because your face and fan belt don't go well together:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! So likely somewhat urgent then and not worth taking a risk in ignoring it? I am taking the car for a service on the 22nd, so I will advise the dealer in advance.

Maybe, if you can, get the cambelt cover off and have a look.

Hard to diagnose from a sound as 1 fault can have different sounds depending on the car, engine, damage.... etc.

Hopefully it'll be an obvious problem, but if you think its coming from the cambelt, don't leave it too long as thats a vital area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help.

Is it difficult to change the tensioner? And by that I mean difficult and expensive?

If it is the cambelt area, could be the bearings on the tensioner??

That would give you a similar noise with a delay while the bearings cycle round back to a flat/worn spot..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help.

The auxiliary belt seems okay. Pretty sure it's not coming from the alternator which is down towards the front of the car. If I had to make an attempt to localise it, the noise is coming from under the plastic timing belt cover.

I think the cam shafts are linked by a chain on this engine and the timing belt is rubber. It does sound like a bearing I would say rather than chain rattle or rubbing.

You're familiar with the noise then?

Most often the alternator or power steering bearing maybe tensioner, pull belt and check for play/roughness before having to check timing belt. Heard this on a lot of different 206 petrol and diesel.
If timing belt is rubbing you should see white rubbing mark on the inside of black covers somewhere.

You could get a cheap stethoscope off ebay or from a motor factors, i find them handy to locate noises like this. Make sure it one with the long attachment though because your face and fan belt don't go well together:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Probably not a recommended by Peugeot move, but you might want to take of axillary belt and crank engine to eliminate noise coming from there being the cause. You might hear it more clearly with less stuff spinning as well. Make sure your battery is fully charged so you can get something close to idle speed not too long though you don't want a new starter on top.

Also starter might not crank fast enough to hear it or it might be louder at slower rpm.
Vague and useless advice, i should get into politics:lol:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the help.

Is it difficult to change the tensioner? And by that I mean difficult and expensive?
Normally you would do several other parts at the same time, i.e. cambelt, waterpump, tensioner etc. But if your cambelt is not very old, you should be able to get away with replacing the tensioner on its own.

This would save you a lot of effort as access is awkward and the complete job takes a few hours.

I wouldn't expect it to cost much as a cambet kit is normally in the region of £40 for everything.

Depending on your competency level, you may need to invest in the cam locking tools so that you don't accidently adjust the timing (epic failure possible if this happens).

If you go for it, check the tension on the belt before you undo anything (you can do this be measuring the belts deflection - on the long stretch of belt between pullys, measure how far the belt moves when you put presure on it)

Just be sure to replicate this when you have the new tensioner on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

I had a look last night (the car is actually a Mini but couldn't find anyone in the Mini forums with a similar issue) and it's so tight in by the plastic timing belt cover I couldn't get it off.

I've got the car booked for next week for a service and investigation into the noise.

Incidentally, I also noticed that the coolant level in the expansion tank is a little above minimum. During the summer it was close to the max mark. I can't see any traces of coolant leakage at the moment, but am wondering if this could be water pump related?

Would the water pump make such a noise if it had a bad bearing and was leaking?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any moving part has the potential to cause this noise.

It is a hard on to diagnose but if you top up the coolant (use demineralised water only, not tap water) keep an eye on it after a few trips.

If the coolant drops, you have a lead on the origin of the noise... or at the very least a good starting point for the garage to persue.

If you have to replace the water pump, make sure the other components are replaced at the same time as it's a false economy to only replace this when everything is in pieces. :thumb:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks.

I had a look last night (the car is actually a Mini but couldn't find anyone in the Mini forums with a similar issue) and it's so tight in by the plastic timing belt cover I couldn't get it off.

I've got the car booked for next week for a service and investigation into the noise.

Incidentally, I also noticed that the coolant level in the expansion tank is a little above minimum. During the summer it was close to the max mark. I can't see any traces of coolant leakage at the moment, but am wondering if this could be water pump related?

Would the water pump make such a noise if it had a bad bearing and was leaking?
Very possible the water pump impeller shaft seal is perished thus coolant leaking through which affects the bearing. It may be weeping slightly but if the vehicle is under load or being worked hard it's being punched through. Over time this will leak onto the belt and tensioner assemblies causing more damage. If you could off got the housing off you may of been able to see it. Hopefully the garage will suss the actual cause. Good luck and let us know. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, had oil and microfilter service today. The garage looked under the timing belt cover. No signs of coolant leakage from anywhere near the water pump.

Mechanic could hear the noise, but didn't seem concerned. It is quite faint, so they said if it gets any louder or I hear anything else to bring it in, but for the moment they said not to worry.

They said that the injectors were a little loud and "tappety" after a cold start, but that was likely due to the higher mileage (140,000km). Suggested some kind of calibration procedure (didn't fully understand as I'm an English speaker and it's a German garage), but maybe at next oil change in 20,000km. Suggested that miscalibration may manifest as power loss.

Think for now I'll leave it as the car seems fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts