Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently took my wife's car for a service and upon pickup I asked what oil they put in and they said it was 10w 40 semi synthetic, now after reading the manual it says to use 5w 30 synthetic oil.

Will the oil they have put in damage the car or make it not do as many miles per gallon etc as it also says that the car has a partical filter and that it should be synthetic oil only in there.

regards

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I may do it myself tomorrow, (as I am unsure how to word it politely to the guy who serviced it what he has done) how much oil will a 1.6hdi need? Will the oil filter need replacing as well?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Better change filter to be sure ,book says 3.5 litres of oil but best put in less dip then add more and so on until you get desired level on dipstick.

ps, guy like many other people don`t know about peugeot fap filter ,5w 40 fully synthetic

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you haven't already changed the oil please put in Forte engine flush first and let the engine run for 10 to 15 minutes and then drain. You will notice a huge difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After piceing up oil and filter and flush it comes to well over £60 and a lot of time to do something I havnt done befour, decided that it best to take it back to the guy i have already gave £160 to and let him sort it, is there anything else i can say to him in support of what will go wrong with this oil in it and to get him to flush and replace filter and oil with proper stuff??

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
Dare I say it, but this is one reason I tend to go to main dealer - they should know exactly what the car should have. I've found the smaller independants don't realise some of the techy bits that Peugeot have developed into these cars... diesel additive for one, tyre pressure sensors at tyre fitters another.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seem to be working harder when accelerating and not as much pull in lower revs, i presume this is because the oil is thicker and the poor thing has to wade through it all. I just hope that the guy wont be giving me rubbish telling me that it will be ok just so that he doesnt have to fix the problem as i will then be stuck with what to say back to him and i dont think it is fair i pay for all those bits to fix his mistake.

J

·
0 Posts
Take in your service record book - it clearly states in there the correct oils for each engine, with & without the particulate filter.... he can't really argue with that

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jmkent said:
Dare I say it, but this is one reason I tend to go to main dealer - they should know exactly what the car should have. I've found the smaller independants don't realise some of the techy bits that Peugeot have developed into these cars... diesel additive for one, tyre pressure sensors at tyre fitters another.
This is only the second time I used this guy as he did a real good job on my car as the inlet manifold was clogged up, car has been running fine since, so I thought a service would be good from him, "aparantly not". :nono:

J

·
0 Posts
zerocool5050 said:
Is there anything I can look at on the car that will tell me if it is Fap or not?
Look under the car, just in front the the rear near side wheel - there should be a white tank with a fluid in it, and the pipe connected to the diesel tank - this tank is the additive to be used with the particulate filter.
p.s. there might be a plastic cover under it to shield it - mine hasn't, but looks like someone has had it off before and not replaced it

J

·
0 Posts
bettyswollocks said:
I`ve a black tank :confused: :lol:
I've read that the 307s had a black tank... suppose its luck of the draw with different age cars I suppose.
White is good - you can actually see the level in it.... was convenient for checking mine had actually been filled up properly the other day :thumb:
Either colour, the setup should still look the same I'd have thought

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone got any photos/diagrams of this as I am struggleing to find one or am looking in the wrong place. :p
There are no access panels in the arch to a tank and briefly looking underneath i cannot see any tanks. (my wife is wanting to know how full it is and if need be to top it up for her.)

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
zerocool5050 said:
Has anyone got any photos/diagrams of this as I am struggleing to find one or am looking in the wrong place. :p
There are no access panels in the arch to a tank and briefly looking underneath i cannot see any tanks. (my wife is wanting to know how full it is and if need be to top it up for her.)
SEARCH Button can be your friend -

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12081

C

·
0 Posts
Indeedy, 5w/30 is the correct oil on the 1.6 HDi, 5w/40 on the 2 litre. A low ash type is best, helps the life of the FAP.

They're very sensitive, and correct oil grade is critical on these. So much so that Ford, who use the same unit, won't do warranty work on non-Ford serviced cars unless the owner proves the correct oil was used, and send oil off for analyisis when arguments arise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts