Peugeot Forums banner

Would smaller wheels give a better ride?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  chopper1192 
#1 ·
Last year I bought a 2 year old 207 Sport which has 16" Canberra alloys with 195/55 tyres. Are these tyres regarded as low profile?

I didn't particularly want 16" alloys (or a shiny bit on the exaust etc etc) but bought the sport for other extras.

I find the ride very hard and bumpy compared to my previous 206 and before that my 306. Also it is very skittish on bumpy corners - and I am not a fast or aggressive driver.
I also find the steering a bit wierd at times (can't be more specific than that I'm afraid!)

I asked a chap in a Peugeot garage whether the Sport had a harder suspension but he didn't think so.

My question is, would these problems be helped by going to the smaller 15" wheel (with presumably a deeper tyre) as fitted to some 207 variants?

#2 · (Edited)
You would have thought that the 207 sport would have had a slightly stiffer set up, but knowing Peugeot they probably didn't change a thing. 195/55's I wouldn't class as low profile so I wouldn't have thought that dropping down a wheel size would make a great deal of difference to the softness of your drive.

G
#3 ·
Apart from the GTi, the suspensions the same across the range. It's already pretty firm and making it stiffer for the 'Sport' models would be ridiculous, especially as Sport was simply a trim level and didn't bring any extra power.

15's may help a little, although at the expense of a touch of steering finesse. Be warned though - I've owned a 207 on 15s and it's still pretty firm, and not especially well damped either.

The only other thing to consider is the tyres thenselves, as run flats or rim protectors can also give a harsh ride. Speak to your local tyre bods, but TBH there isn't a huge degree of improvement to be made whatever you do.

#6 ·
steve m said:
Hey, I'd love to have a stiffer suspension, 307 rock like a boat hence the reason why I'm lowering mine in the next few weeks.
I hope they dont have the dreade peugeot/citroen curse of axle bearing failure when lowered. I've changed more rear axles in 306's, 106's, zx's, ax's, saxo's, xsara's.............. than I've had hot dinners, to make them MOT road legal again!!!:confused: :confused:

G
#9 ·
Nope. The rear beam arrangement means that lowering increases the static wheelbase as the arms 'rest' farther round in their arc, making and already rear-endy-on-the-limit car even more prone to go hunting ditches. The shocks are relatively basic shim stack jobs so seating them further along in their travel degrades damping performance and cocks the ride up and degrades the cars ability to keep the tyres in proper contact with the road. It's not a suspension set up well suited to such mods, unless big money is spent on suspension comoponents, and even then it's still better suited to a track, with no potholes or bumps to upset the rear end. The only genuine benefit is the appearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.