Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2009 308 manual diesel. It needs a new clutch at around £700.

Everything else is fine with it and neverhad any other problems.
It has 110000 miles.

Question is, is it worth replacing? Are there any other big issues typical of this car model at this kind if mileage?

Thanks

·
7,227 Posts
What engine and what condition is the car in. An independent garage may be cheaper

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi

I have a 2009 308 manual diesel. It needs a new clutch at around £700.

Everything else is fine with it and neverhad any other problems.
It has 110000 miles.

Question is, is it worth replacing? Are there any other big issues typical of this car model at this kind if mileage?

Thanks
I my opinion it is worth it.
It is a very reliable car. But if the timing belt has’nt been changed yet it is time now. That is also a fairly big job. Waterpump pulleys and tensioner.
You will not get any money for the car selling it if those 2 jobs are’nt done.
But all in all shop around get several offers.
700 sounds a little expensive to me. But it is a massive job. A lot of dismantling and putting back together.
I would do it. Also with the resell value in
Mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I my opinion it is worth it.
It is a very reliable car. But if the timing belt has’nt been changed yet it is time now. That is also a fairly big job. Waterpump pulleys and tensioner.
You will not get any money for the car selling it if those 2 jobs are’nt done.
But all in all shop around get several offers.
700 sounds a little expensive to me. But it is a massive job. A lot of dismantling and putting back together.
I would do it. Also with the resell value in
Mind.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've queried the price. It works out at around £60 per hour, I think. The timing belt hasn't been changed. Do you know roughly how much that would be? Is there a way of knowing if it needs changed? Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me.

I've queried the price. It works out at around £60 per hour, I think. The timing belt hasn't been changed. Do you know roughly how much that would be? Is there a way of knowing if it needs changed? Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.
I dont know the price, since i dont live in the UK. But the parts alone is roughly £150 for good quality parts. It takes me 4 hours to change. So a skilled mechanic should be able to do it a little faster.
I would guess if you get the garage that is to change your clutch to do the job at the same time. They could do it cheaper.
There are some strict intervals for the belt change.
The 1.6 hdi is 60-70000 miles or 10 years.
So yours is way overdue.
Not changing might lead to catastrofic engine failure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1.6 diesel similar mileage, I paid around that price for mine, gearbox has to be taken out for the clutch, so need new gearbox oil coolant and clutch slave cylinder was leaking so was replaced at the same time.
Getting a timing belt kit fitted with the clutch kit should save on some labour costs.
I was quoted £1000 for the clutch but price came down to £800 due to having a solid flywheel that didn't need replacing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The 1.6 hdi is 60-70000 miles or 10 years.
Not sure where you got this one, but it's not true by a long shot. Interval for 1.6HDI is 180.000km for harsh conditions or 240.000km for normal conditions. That translates to 111.000/149.000 miles so this car is not overdue, but just in time according to harsh conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure where you got this one, but it's not true by a long shot. Interval for 1.6HDI is 180.000km for harsh conditions or 240.000km for normal conditions. That translates to 111.000/149.000 miles so this car is not overdue, but just in time according to harsh conditions.
Thankyou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts