Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I have read this forum quite a bit and am now posting my first post hoping that someone may be able to help, please.

my mechanic has just changed my cambelt, tensioner and idler as well as water pump. he is a French car expert and has done heaps of this job on my model (307 1.6Hdi))
He coudln't get the car to start afterwards. He did the fuel system bleed and still nothing. He gets no fault codes except for "glow plug duration".
Over the last week, he has been exchanging parts from a different car to find if there's a fault in one of mine. At some point after cleaning or exchanging, the car starts now but is a bit rough and there is no throttle response. he still gets the "glow plug duration" fault but nothing else> He even re-did the job to make sure that he got the belt fitted correctly and has triple checked the timing.

Another thing that may be of relevance, whist trying to restart the car he almost flattened the battery and had to recharge it. I don't know if he followed the correct 3 min procedure for doing this but I will check with him.

He is as frustrated as I am!

Can anybody suggest something that he might have buggered up when he did this job and that he can't figure out? (the car was running just fine before).

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bosch scanner...

It was a green Bosch scanner, I'll have to check what model.
He wondered about the cam sensor and was going to change it with a new one. I haven't heard the results of hat yet. What would be the symptoms of a damaged or disconnected crankshaft sensor?
Thanks for your suggestions

D

·
0 Posts
This said ''French Car Expert'', did he check for RPM on his Bosch computer on cranking of the engine. Also how did he time the engine before removing the belt?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know whether he checked RPM, I'll ask him tomorrow (it's night here in Australia). What should be looked for there?

Regarding the timing, I believe he used locking pins to time it before belt removal. I'll have to check that too.
Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
surely if the car was driving ok before he touched it .its got to be somthing he has done, could be camshaft sensor but it should only stop it starting and should,nt make it run rough. crankshaft sensor is on other side of engine from timing so should,nt need to go near it, the same with fuel system bleeding it should,nt have been touched. if it starts and runs rough im thinking valve timing, maybe it could have been timed wrong and have tipped a valve?

D

·
0 Posts
surely if the car was driving ok before he touched it .its got to be somthing he has done, could be camshaft sensor but it should only stop it starting and should,nt make it run rough. crankshaft sensor is on other side of engine from timing so should,nt need to go near it, the same with fuel system bleeding it should,nt have been touched. if it starts and runs rough im thinking valve timing, maybe it could have been timed wrong and have tipped a valve?
on the 1.6hdi the crank sensor is on the same side as the timing belt. Its picking rpm off the crank sprocket pulse wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David is correct. THat's why my mechanic was worried he might have damaged the sensor. Anyway, he has changed the sensor over and it has made no difference.

Also, he doesn't think that there is any valve damage. He timed the engine prior to belt removal (using the locking pins) and the new belt went straight on (he actually did this twice using a new kit in case the first belt was dodgey). Further, there appears to be proper compression.

I am wondering if there was some computer issue/damage. As I mentioned in the original post, he drew the battery right down while trying to get it started and had to put in a different battery. He had no idea about the "3 minute rule" that I have read about on this forum and elsewhere.

Current hypothesis is that he had air in the fuel system and couldn't get it started and then the battery got too low. Then he bled the system properly and changed the battery and that (or the low voltage battery that was in there) caused a computer glitch. Does this sound feasible?

Anyhow, at his expense, the car is being towed to the main (only!) Peugeot dealership in Hobart, Tasmania, to be plugged in and scanned on their computer (which I believe has a link to Peugeot homebase). Hopefully that will pick up the problem.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
if the battery has been left to go flat after cranking too much then maybe the immo has lost the keys and wont allow the car start

im not to nit-pick but self claimed experts are not that...i had a 307 which needed the cam belt replacing. anyways i took it to a garage and a fella who apparently used to work in a peugeot dealer sorted it out - well how wrong was i, he over tightened the bolts on the pulley and it decided to shred itself...i saved the engine by going to a dealer and reclaiming the costs back.

the dealers will now sort it, as because it was the fella who did the cam belts fault. its out of his pockets. if he doesnt agree get trading standards...i know your from oz but they typically do the same as us pomms :lol: :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John. I don't think it's an immo/key issue because the car turns over and occasionally starts. Unless, of course, an immobiliser decides to be not completely assertive - " ahem, you can start me, maybe, but you're not going anywhere".

The mechanic has been upfront and said it must have been his fault. We agreed that he would foot the bill at the dealership. Maybe he'll try reconsidering once he sees it though!

Hopefully, I can post the "answer" soon. If anyone has more suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Ah right I must not have read properly. I have heard that the cam position sensor can cause this also and has been previously mentioned. I'll look forward to hearing in what dealer has said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saga continues...

Hi all,

this issue has still not been resolved! My car is still with the mechanic and is not running.

there were no faults that showed up at the main Peugeot dealership's computer. The head mechanic there thought that there seemed to be some excess backpressure while cranking (i think).

My mechanic has:
- checked for valve damage (none)
- cleaned out heaps of crud from the induction system
- checked glowplugs (that was the one and only fault recorded) and found one faulty plug which he changed
- checked DPF and found a complete blockage

He has cleaned out the blockage. He is now working out how to get the glowplugs to work. by direct wiring to the battery, they glow and are fine (and all the soot that was built up on them burnt off completely). however, they won't fire up normally (I'm not sure how he is testing this). He replaced the harness but that has made no difference.

This should, perhaps, move to a new post but how can he test the plugs/ relay for function?

The current working hypothesis is that faulty plugs led to no DPF regen. and this blocked the DPF. THis was, probably, purely coincidental with the timing belt replacement (very annoyed that there was no DPF fault showing).

Any assistance would be really welcome!

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Blocked dpf won't stop car starting , check all earths and woodruff key and recheck timing , this non starting is down to work done if it was a runner before work commenced.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can it start without glow plugs?

Thanks for the suggestions - i'll get him to check those.

Can the car start without the glow plugs? He doesn't think they are working even though he has replaced the faulty one and the relay but I'm not sure how he is checking it. How can glow plug activity be checked?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
They wouldn't stop the car from starting, they do come on during engine cranking when the coolant temp is below 25c

They only stay on when the engine is running if the coolant temp is as follows:

-25c = 15 seconds
-18c = 10 seconds
-10c = 0.5 seconds
-1c = 0.5 seconds

Assuming you're in the UK it's not been cold enough yet for the glow plugs to be needed.

They are also used during the FAP regeneration (along with the cooling fan and rear heater) to increase the engine temperature by placing a high load on it.

D

·
0 Posts
I'd really like to know how this guy timed up the engine. Eg was it by pegging the pulse wheel on the crank sprocket and the camshaft sprocket or by pegging the flywheel and the camshaft sprocket?

Also Get him to check to see if there is RPM reading on whatever computer he's using. These are simple checks.
I really think that this lad hasn't a clue what he's doing thinking the heater plugs and wiring loom are to blame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
talked to mechanic this morning...

here are some answers from the mechanic:

- has rechecked the timing - it's correct
- he originally timed it by pegging the pulse wheel on the crank sprocket and the camshaft sprocket. He said it's not possible to time this 1.6Hdi (2007 model) pegging the flywheel and the camshaft sprocket. Not sure if that's correct
- his computer does show an RPM reading - he checked that before
- woodruff key has already been checked
- earths would have been checked (he says) by peugeot's computer

He didn't know that glow plugs weren't required for starting (it's about 15oC here in Tasmania with overnights about 8oC). So, he will try and get it started without worrying if the plugs are working or not. He did say that he changed the harness because the loom was abraded through and was shorting. He currently has the exhaust system off and also the radiator. So, he may have to reconnect those before starting!

If the plugs weren't working, this would contribute to DPF clogging, right, given that the plugs are involved in regen (he didn't know that)?

He thinks that a fully blocked DPF would cause a non-start. He said he could not get any air (or water) through the DPF when he first took it off.

Anything else to check? or shoudl I wait till he sees if it will start?

thanks all

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
As said on another thread here tonight , i have seen a car not start after clutch change because the keys needed recoded , i am not saying this is your problem just a possibility which is easily checked , just recode your keys :nod:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts