Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to go down to Margate yesterday. Halfway along the M25, saw signs warning that the M20 was closed, junctions 4 - 6.
OK, so will use the sat nav to show me a way round it.
Wrong, sat nav insisted I travel along that closed bit of motorway, though it did warn me of some conjestion at the end of the M2 further on my journey.

Wonderful system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drove up from Cornwall to the Lincolnshire coast yesterday. Not only was the sat nav giving me traffic updates that weren't on my route (I had a route set), but it was constantly telling me about roadworks on the M1 that, again weren't on my route, but they were still popping up when I was the coast side of Lincoln.

It was also a bit frustrating getting directions to 'bear right' at pretty much every other motorway junction.

·
6,448 Posts
Check your settings (if similar to Smeg units) there is an option on the traffic reports to set on route only and/or within a defined number of miles around vehicle. Often is set to a stupid 100+ mile default area

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know that one, mine is SMEG. Mine is set to 25 miles or so, but I was within yards of the closure and it wasn't telling me. It was telling me of conjestion 25 miles further on my route so clearly the option was on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine was set at 12 miles but it was certainly giving messages from further away, and in the wrong direction. I've just reduced it to 6 miles so will see if that makes any difference. Theres no option on mine to set to route.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting warnings of events a bit further away is a niggle, but not being told of a major closure (for the whole weekend) on the actual route is a bit more of a problem.
The Garmin I used before always routed round things like that automatically.

Fortunately my daughter was in the car with her smart phone. That worked much better as it also pointed out where the worst jams were. Not that we needed that, being all but stationary for best part of an hour.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just use the satnav as basically a glorified road atlas. I think I've used it once for directions to go through London and picked up a £60 fine for using a bus lane in the process. If I need directions I'll fire up my phone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure what I did when I changed my settings, as there isn't that many settings to change, but the next time the unit booted up, it was flashing up with what appeared to be every traffic update in the country. You'd close the message down and another would immediately pop up. It took about a minute or so of doing this before i could get into the settings and turn the whole damn system off...!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find the accuracy and reliability of the traffic updates to vary on locale.

The live traffic is really not so good in Germany; like what you guys are saying, a lot of stuff gets missed. I use my mobile nearly exclusively here.

But I cross into France a lot, and it works great there. Even major city/urban thoroughfares get marked for congestion, roadworks, and notable weather conditions (heavy rain). So the sat nav does the job here, although unfortunately it does not provide speed camera locations (unlike my phone).

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are not legally allowed to show speed camera locations in France. All they can show are "danger areas". But mine tells me of these.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are not legally allowed to show speed camera locations in France. All they can show are "danger areas". But mine tells me of these.
I know the legal restriction; and there is also a disclaimer that pops up when I go into the setting for it. But I can't even turn it on via the setting as it's greyed out. No biggie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts