Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird, but true: My beloved 407SW 2.0 HDI have started running the wipers even with the ignition off, even with the key out! Tried disconnecting the battery, wait 15 min and the reconnect. Still the same. They even keep wiping when locking the car, although they stop after a while then (as light dims).

No response from the wiper control stick either, the wiper seems to be in interval mode.

Relay problem is the first thing that comes to my mind, but I think I heard somewhere that the relay on these cars are integrated in the BSI.

Other than that, the car runs like a charm.

Anyone have a clue whats going on??:confused:

·
5,087 Posts
Have you Got Hid's fitted ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, I have HIDs. Had them for about five years with no problems. Unplugged them, disconnected battery and tried with no luck.

My brother in law (ex pug mech) suggested it could be the wiper motors, its been a couple of years since he was working on Peugeots but he seemed to remember a couple of cases like this.

But if its the motors, should they wipe on their own? Aren't they just on/off motors, or do they have some sort of controller on them that could cause this?

Strange. Guess I have to bite it and call a dealer... :)

Have you Got Hid's fitted ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I'd post how this went for future referance for anyone who runs into this problem and searches the forum.

The culprit was (probably) my HIDs frying the wiper motor microcontroller
due to e.g. powerspikes from the HIDs. Pug-dealers reported this was a common well know problem as HID-kits got common to install.

In my case, the passenger side wiper motor was faulty.

Bought myself a year/model matching pair of wiper motors from a scrapyard,
and replaced the original ones. Its a fairly easy fix, took me about half an hour to replace them both.

Works great now.

Thanks for all replies in solving this :)

·
5,087 Posts
its always the Hid's that cause this. I was lucky with my last one so i'm not fitting them to this one.
Thanks for posting the result, it will help others

·
Registered
4 Posts
And this one was solved nearly 2 years ago. The OP posted the solution on 26th March 2013
How did he solved it?
Replaced the motor & prayed for the motor not to fail again?

Motor will fail again sooner or later if he doesn't remove the HID kit.
I wouldn't call that a solution.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How did he solved it?
Replaced the motor & prayed for the motor not to fail again?

Motor will fail again sooner or later if he doesn't remove the HID kit.
I wouldn't call that a solution.
You seem to be missing the point of my reply.

You repled that the issue had been solved in a different forum years ago. I was pointing out that the OP had found that the HID kit was frying the wiper controller chip over two years ago. Your input was rather redundant and over 2 years after the OP had already discovered the HID's were the issue.

If the OP wants to replace the motor and keep the HID's then that is his perogative - Sure they may fry the replacement motor controller but it doesn't negate the fact that he now knows what is causing it.

Your reply that the motor is going to fail again if he doesn't remove the HID's is like saying his tyre treads will wear out if he uses the car or his bulbs will eventually blow if he uses his lights. Yes he could prolong the life of his wiper motor if he removes the HID kit just like he could prolong the life of his tyres or bulbs if he never uses them. The statement is imho pointless.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So if one quits mid wipe the other one risks mangling the arm and blade?.
One motor with mechanical linkage strikes me as less costly to make and much easier to synchronise than two separate motors.
Not that the French make their cars the easy way.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So if one quits mid wipe the other one risks mangling the arm and blade?.
Yes, I guess that's what would happen! Trouble is, on the 3008 the wipers are arranged in a "clap hands" configuration, i.e. they come in from each side so there is a motor on the extreme left and another one on the extreme right. Great idea isn't it :confused:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Might have been ok on old cars with clap hands wipers that didn't touch in the middle. My wife's 307 manages with only one wiper motor.
I have driven a 1959 Cadillac in rains quite a few times, I had a reasonable view. Quite surprising considering most of the middle of screen was unwiped, and the wipers couldn't follow the deep curvature of the sides either.

Roger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You seem to be missing the point of my reply.

You repled that the issue had been solved in a different forum years ago. I was pointing out that the OP had found that the HID kit was frying the wiper controller chip over two years ago. Your input was rather redundant and over 2 years after the OP had already discovered the HID's were the issue.

If the OP wants to replace the motor and keep the HID's then that is his perogative - Sure they may fry the replacement motor controller but it doesn't negate the fact that he now knows what is causing it.

Your reply that the motor is going to fail again if he doesn't remove the HID's is like saying his tyre treads will wear out if he uses the car or his bulbs will eventually blow if he uses his lights. Yes he could prolong the life of his wiper motor if he removes the HID kit just like he could prolong the life of his tyres or bulbs if he never uses them. The statement is imho pointless.
Sure right...

Wiper motors & BSM are components expected to wear-out.
Every few thousand miles you pay $1000 to Peugeot to replace them.
Same as tyres & bulbs...

That is not solving the problem.
If you read my post carefully you will see is totally different than what the OP said.
There are special HID kits that will avoid all this issues.
Much easier than replacing wiper motors & BSM every 1 or 2 years.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Just to clarify what you seem to be misunderstanding.

But like you said yourself, they are expected to wear out and need replacing.

The OP knew at the time it was the HID kit causing the controller chip to fail. Replacing the motor or just the chip will get the wiper motor working again. If the person wants to carry on with the same HID chip knowing that the motor is likely to fail again then it's his choice.

The issue has been solved because the OP didn't know what caused it then found out the reason so the mystery has been 'solved'. Running with the same HID kit doesn't negate this fact. All it means is that the cause hasn't been eliminated and the issue hasn't been fully resolved. There is a world of difference between the definition of the word 'solved' and the word 'resolved'.

The issue has been solved but maybe not resolved.

The fact that your reply to the original question was over two years after the OP discovered what caused the wiper motor to fail still makes your initial reply redundant.

If you pay that much for replacement wiper motors then maybe you should learn about after market suppliers who sell OEM quality parts at a fraction of dealer prices and invest in a reasonably cheap workshop manual that will walk you through replacing these kind of items yourself then the total cost would be a fraction of the dealer price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have same problem. How can repair the chip in motor and what is the solution? Remove hid or install a filter or something to avoid interfere with extra annoying signals?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wiper moters and BSM module fried due to HID lamps

I have had teh same problem - twice!!

I changed to un-original HID lamps that by the way worked great, but suddently one day, the wipers was starting as soon as the power was on - and would first stop after 3 min after powering off the car.

Problem was intermediately solved by removing the fuse (#12).

I then seached the net and found here that problem could be related to the LIN drivers in the wiper motor. See then thread:
Changing the TJA1020 LIN driver chip in the Slave wiper motor (right side of car) solved the problem, and wipers then worked well again.
I replaced the TJA1020 chip with the newer TJA1021, and this was a fairly straight forward job if you know how to use a soldering equipment aand surface mounted components.

I then replaced the HID lamps, and car worked well for 8 month - then the problem occured again one mornign when I turned ON the light - wipers start running every 4 sec!!

Again, I replaced the LIN drivers in the wipers - but this time it did not do the trick :(

For some time I then 'solved' the problem by adding a relay to the power for the wipers (via fuse #12) remotely - and I have lived with this for nearly a year.
But if then decided to get it fixed - and via a Polish homepage elektroda.pl did I find a thread that also included some information on replacing the LIN driver in the engine fuse box.

Replacing the LIN drivers in the wiper motores was not that bad (I'm a electronic engineeer), but replacing the LIN driver in the fuse box was a nightmare!!
1) after removing the fuse box, I had to cut the the bux open using a sharp knive - but while being VERY careful not tp cut to deep as this could damage the print and components.
2) The processor board need to be removed from the assepmbly. This requires that all the interconnections must be unsoldere. This require both good skills and good equipment. Especially the 18 connection near the ground plate was VERY tricky as the heat disapears on the ground. I had to use high temperature (450 degC) to make it work - but far from easy!!

After replacing the TJA1020 chip (again with a TJA1021), the board then have to be soldered again, then the box have to be glued (and sealed).

BUT - SUCCESS - the vipers was then working agian :lol:

I have since then got rid of the HID lamps - live with the light I get from the standard halogin bulb!!

I have taken several pictures of the work - write to me if you need any of these.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts