Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

All across the Summer, I noticed the amount of people with AC problems jump up. With winter fast approaching I think we all know many people are going to start asking the same questions on a daily basis. Stuff relating to bad batteries, bad bulbs, poor earth connections and if it gets really cold, glow plugs failing.

Is it worth pooling our collective knowledge on how to get your car ready for winter, so we can direct all those unwilling (lazy) to search for the answers themselves? I've put it directly in here as my knowledge is limited to my 307 and it is possible other models need different preparations.

The most obvious check is the battery. Check it's strong enough for your 307 and check its condition. If you have no idea how old your battery is then deffo time to think about a new one. A good quality battery will not break your wallet and will help a lot when it gets cold. Will also stop other strange electrical problems from happening that this forum is full off.

I'd then check all bulbs are in good condition. Clean all connectors up and maybe consider one of those emergency bulb packs. Can easily pick them up in any supermarket for a fiver and will stop you from annoying the rest of us when you decide to put full beam on!

Give your a tyres a thorough check and check your pressures. May be a good time to check you can get your wheel nuts off in the off chance you have a flat.

Glow plugs is a grey area for me. I know on 306 they were vital, but 307, they only kick in at very low temps? Hopefully someone else can give their knowledge on this, assuming this thread becomes useful.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
bulbs and tyre pressures are a common thing to do all year round.

i always carry spare bulbs. theres kits for less then £4 now

check your coolant will offer enough protection. best start using some decent screenwash soon too

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very very true, but I just know the first morning when clocks change, everyone will suddenly remember they have no headlight :rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I agree Battery, Coolant, Tyres Bulbs etc are all worthwhile checks but IMO even if we put a "How to prepare for Winter" Thread I'd bet my backside that there will still be people on here that sign in for the 1st time saying " Damn & Blast French Rubbish My headlight Bulb has blown after 10 years Should I scrap It? & Who can I complain to?" :lol: But on a serious note any extra tips would be very useful! My winter checks are :-

1 - Battery Condition ( Just replaced )
2 - Battery Connections ( Just greased up )
3 - Coolant strength
4 - Screenwash Level
5 - Tyre Tread Depth & Pressures etc
6 - Will Wheel Nuts will come off etc
7 - Wiper Condition
8 - Do all Bulbs Work?
9 - Blanket in Boot ( Helps if you Break down )
10 - Tool kit in boot ( Tow rope etc )

And Yes Pr1vatepiles are not essential for a HDI to start unless the weather is very Cold I did see a chart on here the other day for the heating times at certain temperature but Can't remeber where :confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Winter or cold weather tyres. For me, they are an essential in addition to all other points mentioned above. I changed my wheels over on my 307 last weekend and got the tyres changed on the firms Merc today....so all set for driving with a good grippy set of rubber over damp or frosty roads.

I've also learned to keep a spare wiper in the boot even if it is only an old one as my wife has forgotten to free them before now when they froze to the windscreen and broke....

·
Registered
22 Posts
All of the above, plus lubricate doorlocks with a spray of WD40 and a thin application of vaseline or silicone grease to door seals. Not much fun trying to open a frozen door first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glow plugs is a grey area for me. I know on 306 they were vital, but 307, they only kick in at very low temps? Hopefully someone else can give their knowledge on this, assuming this thread becomes useful.
I see a glow plug light in my 1.6 hdi only when -15 celsius or colder.

Good list.
I think most important is to check coolant strenght (and also screenwasher fluid). Frozen coolant can split up your engine block.

·
11,711 Posts
"Back to Black" is good on rubber door seals. Its less noticeable that proper grease and reduces the risk of you getting it on your clothes.

Same with using it in the window runners.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I only spray a small amount of silicone grease onto a cloth and wipe it around the door seals. It worked last winter in the very cold weather we had. Wasn't aware that back to black does the same job. Good to know.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I'd also suggest carrying a full 5 litre can of whatever fuel you use. When the weather report warns that it might snow somewhere in Siberia, all the muppets come out and cause gridlock. When the real snow does arrive, all the motorways & normal roads get blocked and running on fumes hoping you can get to the pumps before it runs out is not fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts