Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ask what people think of these as a way of keeping the battery topped up through winter on my 307...

Solar Battery Charger - 12v ideal for Cars, Caravans, Tents and Boats: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Ive had one for many years and used it on my 306 with no issues. It saved my battery sometimes when it was needed (I had a bad battery for a while).

I ask because Im leaving my car at an airport for 9 days whilst abroad for Christmas. I occasionaly go abroad and infact have just got back, having left the car for 3 days. It started ok, but from the sound of it, Im not sure it would last a week or more of not being used, especially in the coldest part of winter!

I'd have to attatch this directly to the battery as the cigar lighter port becomes inactive when the ignitions off. Personally I dont think it would be an issue, but I dont want to risk spiking the BSI. Equally, I cant risk getting back to the car late at night, finding it wont start and being stuck, or calling out the breakdown people who would only jump it, which will spike the BSI!

Good idea???

·
Registered
71 Posts
jumping the car shouldn't spike your car as long as its done right. when jumping make sure you turn both head lights on, that way any surge of power from the alternator when it realizes battery power is low is taking by lights,

i jump start trucks all time, and they have about a million ECU's at the moment,

however i dont know about the solar charger thing

-skip-

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skip, that makes me feel a bit better. I will bear it in mind.

Still interested to hear if anyone else with good electrical knowledge of the 307s can advise wether the solar panel charger is safe to use. In theory, it should be ok as its supplying a tiny tiny top-up charge to the battery which is going to be "live" anyway... as long as the charge isnt going through the car to the battery. These solar chargers also have a cut off system and anti reverse charge safety feature built in.

Would just like my views confirmed as correct or not really :)

·
11,766 Posts
Considering how fragile the 307's electrics are I'm not sure I'd chance it.

If the car can't stand being stood for nine days without problems then I'd say the problem is with the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Gibbo.

I dont think a battery should drain that much in 9 days either and in normal conditions i would be bothered if it did... but considering this will be over christmas and (migh) drop below -5° on some or most days, possibly, id not like to risk chancing that it MIGHT be ok when i got back to it. At the same time, yes, there are the concerns of sensitive electrics. Hmm... bit of a "damned if you do, damned if dont" situation... maybe?

·
Registered
71 Posts
buy a spare battery, take spanners or sockets what ever you need, park up, when you get back change the battery if it dont start ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did think of that and probably will one day but for now i wanted to see if anyone had opinions or experience of these solar chargers. But yes, that would be a sensible answer to my concerns.

·
11,766 Posts
Well fellas last night I went down to my 307 I've got for sale. Its been stood locked for 2 weeks and 4 days and started absolutely fine, no Economy warnings or anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts