Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backing down the drive I caught the offside wing mirror on the wall, this pushed it a lot further forward than it normally goes. Now when I lock the car the mirror folds in ok, but unlocking the car the mirror goes a lot further forward than it should (more or less than the wall pushed it too) I can push it to where it should be in order to use it, but it does not click in this position. I am reluctant to take it to a dealer and them to say, that will be £300 sir for a new mirror and fitting. So what I am asking, is it possible to get the back off the mirror as I cant see any screws. Then I might be able to fix it. Any advice would be much appreciated,

Alan

·
3,290 Posts
HI...does the mirror 'sit ' in the correct position when you lock the car?ie folded in to the max?

·
3,290 Posts
You may want to stop the mirror when you unlock when its in the correct position...theres probably a cam that has slipped and may need slipping back...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, Just given it a try, was living in hopes.. But no, it didn't work, thanks anyway.

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Alan
Did you ever fix this? I have been asked to look at a car that has this problem. The mirror was knocked and displays the same fault, folding back correctly, but when unlocked, goes all the way round to the front.
Thanks
Duncan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had this I let it go all the way forward then pulled it back to where it should be by hand it was O.K after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was something we tried first, as you suggest it had worked for some people.
However, like Alan, not on this car. I am hopefully going to get it dismantled at the weekend and if I can fix it will do a write up as it seems to be an issue which affects other Pug mirrors too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I managed to get the mirror off today. We split the mirror down, by carefully prising the glass off, and removing the plastic covers around the frame. The mirror bezel came off first, by removing the mirror motor, then looking for the twin slotted clips round the edges.
Once that was off, the chrome and black front cover was easy, the puddle light being a bit tight to get out.
We got to the frame and removed the wiring loom, taking care to note the positions of the wires.
The motor for the folding action was inside the frame and could only be accessed from below.
Removing the door card was easy and undoing the nut on the mounting bolt was done with a Halfords deep 13mm socket.
Once off, we extracted the loom and had a look on the bench. The side indicator also needs to come out and be unplugged. It is worth setting the mirror in the right place now so you know where it should sit correctly.
It appears to be impossible to separate the frame from the mount plate, so we couldn't work out what was causing the motor to not stop and continue to turn. As you could stop the mirror manually, we decided to bodge it and used a rubber exhaust mount from a Saab 9000, cutting it to size and screwing it into the frame to act as a stop. As it is rubber, it forms a soft stop for the motor, which does stop under loading.
If you look at the base of the frame, you can see the two screws. It effectively makes a stop. You could use plastic, but it needs to be screwed into the frame, or the torque of the motor will just rip it off. The MOT did advise the mirror was loose, but with the stop in place, it is now firm.
It was a pain to get the cabling back through the mount, but once reassembled, the frame stops in the correct position. Give it a bit of grease and clip the frame back on and you are done. Yes it is a bodge, but at £130 for a new mirror, we will get one once it breaks completely.

Now, if anyone knows what the black nobble is under the wing mirror is,(by the puddle light) I would like to know. It has two wires and looks a bit like an electronic component inside. I wonder if it is a tilt switch and tells the mirror where to stop? If so, that could be the issue, but we don't know why a knock would cause it to fail.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The black nobble under the mirror is the outside temperature sensor for the dashboard display.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts