Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2007 1.4 HDI 207.

It has been off the road for a few months since June, and I took it for a spin yesterday. Later in the evening, the windscreen washer pump powered on by itself with the ignition turned off. The pump made quite a loud noise as I could hear it from inside and sounded like a hoover. I checked the fuse and its ok. I ran a current through the pump and its works ok. Both front and back wipers work ok but no windscreen washer. Its very unusual for a pump to come on and no ignition on.

Any information and ideas welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water ingress into wiring shorting things out its a known issue on 207.
Thanks for the reply. I read about that in a few other threads. How could I check if it is the wiring?

I read that this can affect ECU operated components such as speedometer, ABS etc..., but I have no warning lights on dash and the car turns on and runs fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Disconnect battery positive and remove the multipin connectors in turn from the ECU (big silver box thing next to the battery).

See if you spot any signs of damp or corrosion on or between the pins. Do the same for the multipin connectors in the fusebox too and just about every other you can find!

Drive out damp with WD40 but rinse out after with a proper electrical contact cleaner spray (not good to leave WD40 on electrical contacts as it's primarily an insulator)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two Earths at Windscreen Washer Pump Connection

Hi. Thanks for all your input. I tried all your suggestions but I still have had no joy.

I changed the stalk just to see but this made no difference, and the same problem remained.

I found out now that the windscreen washer pump has two earths at plug connection instead of a positive and negative, and I wonder if you have any ideas why this could be? and how this could have made the pump turn on by itself?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi. Thanks for all your input. I tried all your suggestions but I still have had no joy.

I changed the stalk just to see but this made no difference, and the same problem remained.

I found out now that the windscreen washer pump has two earths at plug connection instead of a positive and negative, and I wonder if you have any ideas why this could be? and how this could have made the pump turn on by itself?

Many thanks.
Well, two earths won't make anything work! The washer pump is just a motor. It needs a voltage across it to make it work.

One side of the washer pump connects to earth (the metalwork of the vehicle) which on a negative earth vehicle connects to - guess what - the negative terminal of the battery.

The other side of the washer pump connects to the controller module for the thing. When the module wants to wash something it applies +12V to it. Simples.

So, when you say your washer pump has "two earths" going to it, what makes you think that? Are you using a multimeter and measuring resistance to the vehicle metalwork?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts