Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now then,

I did a stupid, and tried to take off the rear view mirror. This put a 2 inch crack in the windscreen. It's not repairable, and the company my insurance company want me to go with said it's gotta be replaced

My insurance company says I'll be paying most of the cost, and will have a years no claims frozen.

So is there a cheap way? IE going to a scrappy and getting it replaced? Somebody I know mentioned the seals will have to be professionally done and it's quite a tricky job. If somebody could shed some light i'd be chuffed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Jazz. I don't believe the no claims will help at all. However if you have fully comprehensive insurance then you can get it done at the cost of your excess. But I'm guessing you would of known this if you have said the insurance company wants you to pay for most of it. Still would suggest getting it done professionally, heard it's tricky to replace. Could work out more expensive if you crack the new windscreen from scrapyard.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Hey, i had a similar problem. I pulled the front wipes off, opened the door and they both slammed down cracking the windscreen. If you have fully comp it should state the excess on the cert, you can call autoglass and book it in and pay the excess in cash and let them deal with the insurance co. Do not admit you broke it, say you were driving behind a lorry then that was a smacking sound, i did. Mine was slightly different, i got my excess halved by using the hotline in the booklet i got.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll do that then. I'll give the insurance company a ring. Swift cover are completely online so it's a real farse trying to get things sorted.

It's annoying that I have to pay excess AND get a year frozen. :mad:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
sounds shite mate. when i had to claim on mine they said glass doesnt effect my no-claims in any ways but rolling my car does - halfs it, if they agree...so they gave me 3 years when i joined and gained 1 year myself so i had 4, so now it goes down to 2. im due a renewal so ill keep yous posted.:thumb:

tbh mate, you could just ring auto glass and get a quote to see how much it would cost if you pay out right, not getting the insurance involved. if its let say £200-£300 i'd do it out of pocket if i were you, but any more i'd bite the bullet. thats if the "i dont know how it happened" clause doesnt work.

hope this may help you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give them a bell tomorrow at work! Gonna threaten to leave :D

Windscreen cash is nowt to them. They're an insurance company, they're loaded! Shouldn't be so stingy!

·
Registered
535 Posts
A few years back, I had a Citroen BX19 and the screen cracked. The insurance company suggested Autoglass as they had a tie-in with them. Autoglass wanted £125, of which I was to pay £75 excess. I hunted through Yellow pages and a guy came out and did it for £60 all in.

The Volvo wasn’t so cheap though - £300 cheapest, so I went through the insurance, but I did have windscreen cover and no loss of NCB.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh man!

Well my insurance company go with people similar to autoglass (everything the same but the name) and they wont repair anything over the size of a pound coin.

My crack (pardon the pun) is two inches. another one roughly same size thanks to the chunks of rock..... would the bloke who did it for you repair or just replace?

A lad I know said I should find one of the autoglass lads and ask him to do it on a weekend or something, you know, on the side?

Cheers for the advice so far like lads. Cheers PureJoe

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
thats a bit wierd, if you want i give the number i used for getting mine replaced. basically its goes to different numbers and the first company to answer gets the business...not too sure if they will be able to help but there is no harm in trying if your interested...

you will need to tell them that it has to be a new windscreen.

just tell them that a rock hit your screen as you were behind a lorry on the a1 near catterick :p (total blag)

check your insurance cert, somewhere will say windscreen excess...this is what you will need to tell them and pay the techy when he arrives :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got in the car today, closed the door and the crack goes from a 40mm comfortable length to a good half metre... nearly got two pieces of windscreen now

Gonna have to bite the bullet. Anyone know of cheap places in county Durham? I'm gonna pay it

·
Registered
481 Posts
Windscreen cover is added to a fully comp policy and does not affect NCD , no matter what the tight arse gits are trying to tell you. Ask for any affect to NCD put in writing as the insurance ombudsman has advised you to request this.

The arse will fall out their trousers , then they will remember they were 'mistaken' in other words they are trying to get you to pay for it privately by saying it affects the NCD , a trick that is becoming more and more common !

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the swift cover website I think its open to the public. A year frozen NCD and 65 quid

I've questioned them about it but it seems legit

·
Registered
481 Posts
http://www.swiftcover.com/carinsurance/policy/windscreen-window-damage/

Its cheap insurance for a reason im afraid. As i said they cant remove NCD on the basis of glass replacement , however they have engineered it so the following year you are not entitled to an increase , same difference but worded differently to get around it!

Friend of mine is a SC engineer incase you ever need any claims advice specific to them , i can offer general claims advice in relation to entitlement etc :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one cheers mate!!

Yeah I can't really get around it can I?

But the windscreen is probably getting done as we speak now. But the car is at home, me mam is in to pay the bloke :D and I'm at college

·
5,017 Posts
JazzJPH said:
Nice one cheers mate!!

Yeah I can't really get around it can I?

But the windscreen is probably getting done as we speak now. But the car is at home, me mam is in to pay the bloke :D and I'm at college
not darlo college????

1 - 20 of 48 Posts