Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys/girls I know it's late on a Sunday night and we should all be asleep for Monday

I'm both new to the forum and also to 407 ownership so I'm still in the 'loved up' stage of ownership, and like any forum of this nature most of these forums most threads are regarding help with faults etc I thought I'd start a little lighthearted thread

What I wanted to know is what made you all choose the 407 in the first place? Practicality?! Love at first sight?! Cost?!

I'll start off at the beginning of my long road to 407 ownership

Back in 2006 I got a summer job at Avis Rent-a-Car whilst at uni, for a 20 year old it was an amazing job, getting to drive all shapes and sizes of cars from the good -Mercedes E Class, to the amazing -Range Rover to the most horrible driving experience ever -Fiat Stilo (remember them?! Eugh!) anyway I digress, one of the cars that Avis had in hoardes was the Peugeot 407, I remember thinking that despite what I'd heard about Peugeot before it was a damn nice car to drive.

Anyway a few years later when I been on the big bad world for quite a while my 2003 1.4 Seat Arosa was getting tired I got a promotion which meant a commute, in this new job I was offered the chance of a lease car which I jumped at as I'd never had my own brand new car before, so after much deliberation I plumped for a Bianca White Peugeot 207 HDI 90 Allure 3 Door and I was in love, the car had everything a 25 year old could want for his first 'proper' car, 17" alloys, Cielo roof, USB port, half leather interior, tinted windows and amazing MPG, however sadly all good things come to an end and I got a new job closer to home which meant the car had to go back

So gutted at losing the 207 I was in search for a another car, I was blown away with the MPG so I decided to stick with a 1.6 Diesel engine but in a car slightly bigger, looked at Focus', Astra's etc but eventually went for a 2008/58 Peugeot 308 1.6 110 Sport 3 Door (3 door as I wanted to be a little different as so few about!) I have to admit I liked the 308 but it never quite caught my heart like the 207, especially as I lost a couple of features like half leather, Bluetooth, USB and Cielo roof.

At the start of this year I got married and inevitably talk of children in the next 3-4 years crops up so decided while the car had a bit of value to trade up to a 5 door, so I began looking at the usual suspects like Focus, 308, Mondeo, Golf, Passat etc, I decided that I wanted a larger car and ideally an estate, as for some reason I've always wanted one (most kids dream of a sports car where I've always wanted an estate/ 4x4! - strange child I know!)

Sadly in amongst all of this I injured my back in the form of a slipped disc which caused me nightmares trying to use a clutch so I decided that an Auto was the way to go, in my price range there were no Passat Estates and only previous gen Mondeo estates in my price range which left the 407SW, which of course I remembered enjoying driving from my time with Avis.

Scrolling through Autotrader and Gumtree night after night and hour after hour seeing endless SE's which didn't really catch my imagination I finally spotted a Sport version just outside London which didn't have full leather (which I'm not a fan of for some strange reason) so in the pics it looked awesome, only complaint would be that it was an identical colour to my 308 but beggars can't be choosers when in a hurry! So I called the
Guy up negotiated a deal, flew to Stansted then a train to the garage and fell in love with the car and drove it all the way back to Edinburgh that night!

So far have to say I love the car, has everything my beloved 207 had except the USB, and I've solved that by buying the Peugeot box and just need to get round to fitting it! Only a couple warning lights which have now disappeared (touch wood they stay away!)

So that's my long winded ownership story where I've become a totally unintentional Peugeot fanatic!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm on my second 407. First a 2005 2.0 hdi X line saloon. This one is a 2008 2.0 hdi GT multimedia saloon. Full red leather :grin:. Also had a D9 406 saloon.
I like 407s quite a lot. Even persuaded my old man to buy one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my second 407. First a 2005 2.0 hdi X line saloon. This one is a 2008 2.0 hdi GT multimedia saloon. Full red leather :grin:. Also had a D9 406 saloon.
I like 407s quite a lot. Even persuaded my old man to buy one.
Very nice choice, the mid-life upgrade looks great with the darker dash and of course the Sat Nav unit looks excellent in that space where there is just an awkward ledge in the regular version (I can just balance my iphone in it...just)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Very nice choice, the mid-life upgrade looks great with the darker dash and of course the Sat Nav unit looks excellent in that space where there is just an awkward ledge in the regular version (I can just balance my iphone in it...just)
Yeah the Sat nav is nice, as is the hard drive. So far I've got all of Iron Maiden's album on it and still a shed load of space for all my Metallica and Judas Priest :)

C

·
0 Posts
Hello Me I decided on the 407 after looking around and finding nothing but Mondeos ( Which I already had at the time ) & Vectras ( Last one blew head gastket :nono: ) when I finally got round to test driving the 407 I was smitten with the amount of toys and smoothness of the drive. I also loved the looks of the big mouth and the Panoramic roof. So after looking a few I found my 407sw handed over some beer tokens and have never looked back although I am tempted to upgrade to a newer motor but again can't decide what to get so I may just end up getting her remapped and seeing how it goes :thumb:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I decided on a 407 after my 106 burst into flames and my father (trem1), sister and brother where in a crash in Trem1's 407. I was impressed with how it stood up and protected them and also came across a sweet one. Had it a year now
Im only 27 so they defo not an 'OLD' mans car lol, im going to go run and hide now

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was 26 (just) when I got mine.

I'd started off looking at the A4, Passat, V70 or Mondeo but when I saw this 407 the level of spec, comfort and clever features like the split tailgate and glass roof for the money compared to the others made it a clear winner.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got mine as it was a bargain lux coupe. Ideally would want an Audi A5, but wont pay the money! And i think a 4 ltr petrol BMW 6 series would be a bit expensive to run. A Jag XK a bit unreliable and i just don't like Merc coupes.
It was a choice between Hyundai 2.7 V6 petrol, or the Pug. The Pug had more toys so it won.
Got mine for £4k with 32k on the clock. Quite a bargain i think. And its £270 a year to tax. Which for the 2.7 HDi, is good as well.
Might give a clean this week now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the 2.0 version of the Hyundai, great car, in black. Always wanted the 2.7 v6 but the majority where auto's and i wanted a 6 speed manual
Years ago my dad had a Hyundai Coupé, lovely car, also toyed with the idea if one before I got my 308 but practicality won out in the end

I still think on the whole they are very very underrated cars

·
11,875 Posts
I got my first 407 back in 2011 at the age of 38. I say first because its only a matter of time before I get another.

For me it was just a great looking car, it has enormous presence and isn't a run of the mill exec clone like all the Mondeos and Focuses you see daily.

The interior is well designed, comfortable, and doesn't leave you tired or drained after a long run. The day after I got mine I did a coast to coast run - North Wales to Scarborough on a mix of motorway, dual carriageway, single carriageway and narrow country lane - and at the end of a long five hour journey (the roads were choked with traffic) I felt like I'd just done a 20 mile trip.

Mine had some niggles (EGR hesitation, faded display, the rear light cluster issue) and needed a wiring loom for the cooling fan (warranty repair). But nothing major, undocumented, or beyond my skill.

Sadly the 407 is too wide for my parking bay where I live, and I'm not leaving it on the road - its on a bus route next to a private school with a school run done by women glammed up to the nines in Chelsea tractors who can't drive or park without clipping something.

But as soon as I move within the next year or so I'll be back.

·
5,044 Posts
I got to my current 407 because, My 406 was written off by me going through a ford and the don't like water :rolleyes: and because i'd taken out Gap insurance when i bought it and it was still valid for the next 3 months, it wiped out the finance etc to where i started from, but there was a clause (isnt there always) but not a terrible one this time, I had to go back to the car dealer i bought the car from and they would issue the cheque direct to them, It was a Peugeot main dealer where i bought it so off we went to look at 406's, they had a very nice black 53reg saloon there and i thought yep that'll do me until the salesman said 'had i thought about a 407' didnt think i could afford one said i, to which he said have a look through the workshop window at this 407,its only just in and we are checking it over, so we looked through the window and i bought it there and then, no test drive.............nothing :eek: Anyhow that was a fabulous car until it got written off last december in a crash so another 407 was an obvious choice for replacement, this one although not as nice as my last is still a very,very nice car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me it was if anything, a forced decision but one I'm glad of at the moment (Only had it a week).

I wrote my Vectra SRI off one early morning on a country road by trying to go around a bend that the car decided I wasn't able to go around and then finishing up in a ditch (I drive like a grandad by the way, no boy racer :D ) which has put me off ever owning a vectra again!

Looked around like many have said and didn't fancy a mondeo( everything in my price bracket had done to many miles) the Vauxhall was off the list so didn't know where to turn.
Thought about getting a 4x4 (Honda CRV or RAV4) but didn't like the tax bracket or the fuel consumption.

Then came across the 407. Good price, low miles for the year and luxury spec (Half leather with satnav etc).

Drives better than the VECTRA the missus likes to drive it so that's a winner on it's own.

I'm just waiting for things to go wrong (never bought a car from a dealer before) but I have 6 months warranty to look forward to.

So nice looking comfortable drive, nice spec and good diesel engine under the hood. What more do you need :D
Oh yeah...forgot..I need cruise control which will be the next add on!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The interior is well designed, comfortable, and doesn't leave you tired or drained after a long run.
I'll agree with this. I did Grimsby - Porthmadog in one hit. Apart from a 20 minute pee and sarnie break. Perfectly comfy and happy. That's about 235 miles, 4.5 hours. The Mrs was bitching but hey ho.
We did Grimsby to Oban too, although we did have a couple of hour stop both ways in Gretna for some dinner, bugger doing a 7 hour stint in one go!
Also did Grimsby to Bristol and back one monday morning straight from work ( I work 12 hour weekend nights). I was dead, but picking my new 407 up and driving it home was worth it :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
First time i came across the 407 was in 2004 when my dad got one as a company car, of course then they were very few around at the time & everyone stared because they were funny looking things! thats mainly why i bought one in 2009, eventually i started trading 407's last year which made me a fortune as their owners usually gave me huge discounts & they were good sellers due to the level of spec they had. I've moved away from selling them though as they tend to need too much work doing to them before sale :rolleyes:
I still think their great looking things, specially compared to the E65 7 series im plodding about in now :(

·
Registered
682 Posts
Im on my second 407SW and the main reasons I bought my first is because theyre cheap and I like Peugeot who I think are under-rated. My first SW was a 1.6 and not without its problems, my second is a 2.0HDi which is superb and has just hit 158K miles and still drives great and has just towed my large five berth caravan to Normandy from Hull and back at a canter. I will be changing in six months and would love a 508SW but think ill be getting a C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi as it shares a lot of parts with the 407 and I know these cars inside out now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Second 407 and think they are very underrated

Hi Everyone, My first 407 was an impulse buy had an X5 3.0 Diesel and met an amazing women that lived 35 miles from where I worked and lived. I monitor all my fuel costs and after spending £360 in 2 weeks on fuel for the X5 decided it had to go quickly and get something more economical temporarily, always liked the look of the 407 and ended up with a 2005 1.6 HDI 407 saloon with 118k miles, for which I paid £1600.

After living with the car for a couple of months I decided I really quite liked the vehicle and decided to keep it, I got to 142k miles after a year, with nothing expensive failing, just regularly servicing to pay for, and it was still going as well (if not better) as the day I purchased the car, sold the car for £1000, to someone who drives them to Croatia and uses them for spares. I was browsing on Ebay and came across a 2005 2.0 HDI SW executive, with 116k miles and only 2 owners. However it came with (in my experience) the normal engine management light on (my first 407 had this on for the whole time I owned the vehicle) and a side light fault light. I paid £1800 with 8 months tax, and think I did extremely well. The engine management light I have ignored, as the fault says something about the dpf oil being overfilled, which it isn't, but the light fault turned out to be just an earthing problem, on the rear light cluster. Have now done 134k without any issues except the normal bottom ball end joints. I tend to service the car at less than the normal 20k miles, probably unnecessarily, but am from the old school. My father was a car mechanic, and he drummed it into me to always have cars oil changed as a minimum regularly, and use decent oil. So I use carparts4less.com for the service parts I use fully synthetic oil and use a neighbour who's day job is as a mechanic, to service the vehicle.

I obtained a consistent 46 mpg with the 1.6 and now get 40 mpg with the 2.0 sw. I think the extra cost is worth it for the power of the 2.0 litre although I have to say the engine when cold is significantly noisier than the 1.6. I have been told this is due to it being an older engine, however again I am told it is a stronger unit than the 1.6. Another thing I have noticed is that it never gives the normal diesel smoke, whereas the 1.6 always seemed to smoke a little particularly when pulling away after idling at lights.

In summary, I have driven for 40 years, so am very old.. lol, and had every brand under the sun, I personally feel the 407 is the best value for money vehicle currently on the road. The executive with its panoramic sunroof, leather, cruise, multi CD, electric seats etc. Is the cream on the top.

My experience is that if a 407 has been well serviced, they seem to go on forever. So look for some sort of service record particularly with high mileage. I am absolutely confident my latest SW will easily cope with 200k miles.

I would also like to add my thanks to all the contributors on the forum, I am usually better informed than some garages, when it comes to any faults my Peugeot has.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's the next model up from a 307. That was what started it. I bought a 307 on impulse in a rush because I needed an estate car quick and I loved it. It sadly died and required a new engine, so after owning a Vectra SRi cdti auto for all of 4 weeks I sold it and bought the 407 because it had all the toys, is black and looks cool with its sp grill and its just the right size for me with a boot that is big enough, I'm not arsed about the room in the back. I supose its a bit random for someone my age to drive a car like this, but it gets all the attention, i promise; its the glass roof that does it. It's a 54 plate car with 76k now on the clock and apart from the lack of cruise control which is really getting on my nerves ( I have a tear in a disc in my back which makes driving very very painful, but it affects the right leg only so 2 pedals, 3 pedals, I don't care; beats walking! The lazy Vectra auto was nice though) and the slightly crap fuel consumption, but we're getting somewhere with that I love it and want to keep it a couple of years and change for something fast and impractical, but I may just keep it and have 2, why not?

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's a 54 plate car with 76k now on the clock and apart from the lack of cruise control which is really getting on my nerves ( I have a tear in a disc in my back which makes driving very very painful, but it affects the right leg only so 2 pedals, 3 pedals, I don't care; beats walking!
Adding cruise control is easy enough. You should just need the stalk and access to Planet/Diagbox to turn it on, maybe another brake switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts