Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really is bad, just had tyres changed and still terrible. Was speaking to a guy, he told me its nothing to do with tyres, his son has a 307 and it is also terrible in the snow

Any thoughts.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you put snow tyres on? There's a bloke with a range rover near me and I passed him the other day stuck in the snow. He has summer tyres on big wide wheels and it's just a big sledge. I have snow tyres on the car and the van and I never get stuck anywhere. New tyres are better than bald tyres, but new snow tyres are what you need in snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 2 sets of wheels. For both the car and the van. Snow tyres on both spare sets and they go on in October/November time and come back off in March April. Doesn't cost any more tu run with them after the initial purchase of a spare set of wheels. When you're wearing your winter tyres, your summer tyres are sitting in the garage waiting to be used so there's no more wear overall. :thumb:

Bear in mind that snow tyres are also designed to cope with low temperatures aswell as snow. Normal summer tyres that everyone buys in this country are fine in summer, but when the temperature drops they go very hard. Winter tyres are a softer compound (hi Silica content) and stay soft when it's down in temperature. If you want to be mobile in snow then blaming the car isn't really the way. Blame your tyres if anything.

Another thing to consider. If you skid and smash the front bumper on your car, then that will cost you as much as a spare set of wheels and tyres. If you skid into someone else, then you're quids out of pocket.

G

·
Mines non too clever either on 205/50 17"

saying that i've been struggling a lot less than some people with standard wheels so cant complain too much :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was just strange to me as I have been taking my mums micra recently. It is great in the snow believe it or not.

G

·
Yes. Smallish car, fattish tyres, not a good combination. Short or buying snow tyres, or a set of 155s to cut through the clag, there's not much to do.

Driving technique is the biggest factor though - seperate all manipulation of the controls. Never change gear while braking, roll round the corner with no braking or throttle input, etc.

My 308s not brilliant, but it'll never get stuck in the deepest mire unless I did something stupid. The 407 is fantastic - so long as you're light on the controls the ESP intervenes very sympathetically.

The biggest improvement though is to listen to police advice, and only go out if "necessary" (or "life and death" in Scotland, as they said yesterday). That means emergency food or medical attention, it doesn't meen the shops for a pack of tabs, or work, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts