Peugeot Forums banner

Whoosing noise under acceleration

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nigel hobbs 
#1 ·
Hi,

Car: 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI 110bhp.

I have recently had a new turbo fitted (feb 2019) - check engine light came on on Thursday so took the car into my local garage and they re-gened the DPF as that had been clogged up - engine light is now absent. Driving home last night I noticed quite a large whooshing noise under acceleration (it seems its coming through the air vents too?). It seems to be un-steady under acceleration but after a few minutes driving it seems to level out.... any ideas would be appreciated? Thanks!

#2 ·
It may be you have a split boost hose/intercooler and this may have been what killed your old turbo you dont say WHY you got a new 1 so i would be looking for oil stains drips near any pipe joints 1 may well be loose if not check intercooler for signs of oil leakage as the oil will leak out any splits in the intercooler.

#3 ·
Hi reliable406,

Sorry about that, the new turbo was installed due to what is known as 'black death'. Injector 3 leaked and it blew the turbo due to a busted seal. I will check the pipes for any splits tonight. I have plugged it into a diagnostics and it came up with P0234 - Turbocharger Overboost... sounds worrying given the turbo is only a month old!

Thanks for your advice though, much appreciated!!

#4 ·
Overboost is where the turbo is working too hard so does sound like a boost leak.

The black death as you call it is not really what killed your turbo what i mean by that is the injector seal may have contributed to the turbo dying by dumping carbon into the oil but in itself was not the cause the oil would need to be pretty bad to kill the turbo i suggest you change your oil more frequently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.