Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mayday! I've just changed the fogged up destroyed headlamps on my 2006 car for nice new ones, and the drivers side works fine but the passenger side is completely dead. I've checked the wiring with a multimeter and get 1.5v for the sidelights.

Neither side, dipped, full or left indicator bulb works, suggesting to me it's not a fuse (I've checked the dipped and main beam fuses and they are fine, not sure if there's a separate one for indicator/side)? I didn't disconnect the battery to swap over the lamps, but I wouldn't have thought just disconnected the plug would cause a problem.

This woulds suggest to me that the unit is fine, but some relay or other isn't working correctly? Or would this be a wiring fault somewhere? Should I be measuring the resistance to earth - or to +ve?

TIA!

EDIT: Also just tried a BSI reset, no change.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mayday! I've just changed the fogged up destroyed headlamps on my 2006 car for nice new ones, and the drivers side works fine but the passenger side is completely dead. I've checked the wiring with a multimeter and get 1.5v for the sidelights.

Neither side, dipped, full or left indicator bulb works, suggesting to me it's not a fuse (I've checked the dipped and main beam fuses and they are fine, not sure if there's a separate one for indicator/side)? I didn't disconnect the battery to swap over the lamps, but I wouldn't have thought just disconnected the plug would cause a problem.

This woulds suggest to me that the unit is fine, but some relay or other isn't working correctly? Or would this be a wiring fault somewhere? Should I be measuring the resistance to earth - or to +ve?

TIA!

EDIT: Also just tried a BSI reset, no change.
Do not try to measure resistance between ground and +12 - your meter is likely to not like it...

Given that all the bulbs in the housing are out but all other lights OK, I'd suspect a ground issue. Not sure of the 307, but on the 206 the dipped and main share a ground wire while the indicator and sidelight have separate ground wires direct to the bulb holders - not sure if those all join up to a common ground point, but not unlikely, so wherever that attaches to the body is something to check..

A quick test could be to use a pointy probe and wire to provide an alternate ground. Ground end of wire, carefully probe into the connector where the ground wire goes into the connector and make contact with the crimped on contact element in the connector housing. For safety you'd want an inline fuse in the wire in case you probe the wrong hole and hit +12... Big enough to handle the expected load, but not unnecessary big. Main/dipped 55W bulbs, 5-7.5A should do it, if only one at a time.

If you measure voltage between the plugs +12V pin (sidelight, indicator dipped and main when they're supposed to be active) and proper ground (negative battery pole or solid grounded bolt), do you get a solid feed? (12V or better)
If you do get that, but not as much when you measure between say positive and ground pin in sidelight, indicator or dipped/main connectors -> ground issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will investigate further with the multimeter once daylight returns tomorrow.

I checked there was continuity through the new lamp unit, it was when sticking the probe across the two lugs from the car loom feeding power to the sidelight that I got 1.5v.

Are the relays for these lights accessible (IIRC there is a relay box next to the fuse box?) or not?

I figure that during the install I must have somehow damaged the loom or knocked a local earth connection loose for all the lights to go out at the same time?!?!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks, I will investigate further with the multimeter once daylight returns tomorrow.

I checked there was continuity through the new lamp unit, it was when sticking the probe across the two lugs from the car loom feeding power to the sidelight that I got 1.5v.

Are the relays for these lights accessible (IIRC there is a relay box next to the fuse box?) or not?

I figure that during the install I must have somehow damaged the loom or knocked a local earth connection loose for all the lights to go out at the same time?!?!
Not sure about the relays, but since all lights are out, and you get something, but very low, on the sidelights - I'd sooner suspect the grounding.
Did you measure the headlight plug?

If you get 12V on the sidelight if you measure between the positive wire of the sidelight and the neg battery terminal --> ground issue...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you still got the old lights? if you do plug them into the plug and see if they work if they do then I would say its a wiring issue on the new unit as they might have swapped the wires around.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
This sounds like an earth issue as a test fix an extra earth to 1 of the bulbs whatever 1 is easiest to figure out earth side then earth other end to body i recon your light will then work.

Sometimes the earths go bad INSIDE the light casing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone!

Following reliable's signature, I plugged in the old lights and they worked fine. I investigated and found that the plug on the new lights wasn't located properly in it's plastic lugs (gotta love peugeot quality control) so just pushed out of the way instead of making a connection. I bodged the clips open with a broken up cocktail stick and hey presto it works now.

Not sure what the 1.5v reading was due to. As mtempsch suggested I tried measuring between battery GND and +12v pin on the light and got around 10.7v (12.4v ish battery minus the 1.5/1.6v). Maybe the car detects that there is no bulb connection/bulb has blown and shuts off the supply? I've never noticed any blown bulb detection on this car except the double flash indicators. Mystery!

Car looks a beaut now with shiny headlamps again, will post a pic once the crash bar is resprayed black to get rid of 140k miles of paint chips.

SUMMARY: Assume nothing check everything twice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts