Peugeot Forums banner

white puff of smoke ! ?

6K views 31 replies 4 participants last post by  Mellkat86 
#1 ·
Hi All ,

is it just me or everyone ??!! when i try starting my 307 hdi 90 54 plate ! and when it finally starts " please read my other post " a puff of white smoke comes out exhaust what can that be ?

also how do i check the fuel filter is working properly which someone has said to check for as the fuel maybe dropping back to the tank ?"

any ideas guys ??? :eek:

#6 ·
white puff of smoke !

well the car starts like a van ! turns over 5-6 times then starts keep thinking my going to flatten the battery !! i have had it on a diagnostic pc and no faults came up ! also changed the starter motor and glow plugs are all ok and battery is ok as well so not sure now what to check for ?

someone said it might be getting air in the fuel lines ?

how can i tell ?

G
#7 ·
well the car starts like a van ! turns over 5-6 times then starts keep thinking my going to flatten the battery !! i have had it on a diagnostic pc and no faults came up ! also changed the starter motor and glow plugs are all ok and battery is ok as well so not sure now what to check for ?

someone said it might be getting air in the fuel lines ?

how can i tell ?
Ok, now we have some info into the problem. You failed to give any of it first post.
What year model is your 307?
what mileage?

#10 ·
white puff of smoke !

sorry its a 2004 model not sure if the fuel filter has been changed only had the car 4 weeks but a invoice said it was serviced couple of months ago ?! just topped the diesel up yesterday so now full tank ! ? i put some red x in tank yesterday as well ?!

someone did say it might be drawing in air over night ?

#16 ·
but the peugeot guy come out and turned the key over and over and said it was the leak off pipes sucking air in ! ?? as the little green seals on the leak off pipes are shit and as i have already change the start motor , and the glow plugs and battery are good dont know what else it could be ?!

#21 ·
If it's Siemens (no in-tank pump) then a satisfactory start every time if you pump the primer confirms an air leak SOMEWHERE in the fuel supply circuit. Could be anywhere from tank to pump, and back again.
If it's Bosch (with an intank pump) then it could mean either a slight air leak again, or the in-tank pump is failing. The CR pump needs to see 15psi at the inlet or it wont make rail pressure, and it it won't make rail pressure it won't inject. But if it doesn't immediately see rail pressure rising and you keep on cranking, the ECU enters a special bleeding and purging strategy which will result in a rough and smokey start.

what make is the injection system?

#23 ·
look at the common-rail pump, big black thing at the front of the engine. Should be marked...

and to answer your PM, the primer is a black rubber squeezy bulb. Likely either inder the engine cover, kinda above the CR pump, or to the side near the timing belt cover.

edit: Actually I've just looked on servicebox and it looks like only Siemens has a priming pump.

#25 · (Edited)
oh forgot to say "" i took the clip thingy off the airbox pipe ?! think its the maf sensor not sure !! so anyway i started the car up and it started ok should there be any lights on dash if i unplug it ?

p.s my engine looks like all the parts are bosch ! ? common rail has a sticker on it says bosch ! ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.