Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whistling noise comes from the engine (Turbo) when i release the speed padal on peugeot 407 1.6 HDI, if i see the trubo, there is black smoke stuck on the top. taken to couple of garages, some says, better to replace the turbo as fault in it rest said, no issues, turbo would keep working ok except that whistling noise, can someone on this forum, please advice? Any ideas how much it normally costs to replace the turbo of 407 1.6 HDI diesel? some says that it is a tricky and expensive job to replace the turbo, bought the car even less than a year 05 plate with 40k milage.... Quite new to the peugot cars and this forum as well, would appreciate any helpful suggessions on this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turbo clamp - to stop whisteling noise.

thank you, makes sense, how easy it would be to put the clamp onto the turbo? you mean, to buy it from peugeot dealer or can be get from any parts shop....do you know please what is this clamp called?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil- Exactly this is the same noise coming from my car's turbo. it's been nightmare, took my car to the 4 different garages including peugeot dealer - all had different opinions, some wanted to replace turbo and the other's said no probs with turbo. peugeot said, it is normal.... nothing to do. 1 of the garages charged me £250 for the diagonosis but even could not trace where the noise is coming from. they taken out the fuel injectors etc and at the end given me recomendations that fully empty the fuel tank as it can be due to poor quality of diesel - total non-sense and the rip off as well.

thanks for your advice - went to the clamp fix thread (link) but link is not working, can you pleae help..

Web Site Unavailable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Guys, noise is exactly the same as phil has mentioned, i have been gone to the above thread- 407 turbo leak but the pdf link is not working.

very much appreciate this, as been trying to get to the root cause of this problem from last couple of months. been to 4 garages - few wanted to replace turbo, rest not (including peugeot). dealer said no need to change and advise that this is normal behaviour of HDI turbo but noise is there like cryin baby... 1 of the garages even charged very high diagnostic fees of £250 and said no fault at the end. they non-sensely recomended to fully empty the fuel tank.... so a lot of hassale plus a rip off but problem is still there. Hopes this clamping fix will resolve this issue. many thanks for your help guys...

·
Registered
552 Posts
thanks Guys, noise is exactly the same as phil has mentioned, i have been gone to the above thread- 407 turbo leak but the pdf link is not working.

very much appreciate this, as been trying to get to the root cause of this problem from last couple of months. been to 4 garages - few wanted to replace turbo, rest not (including peugeot). dealer said no need to change and advise that this is normal behaviour of HDI turbo but noise is there like cryin baby... 1 of the garages even charged very high diagnostic fees of £250 and said no fault at the end. they non-sensely recomended to fully empty the fuel tank.... so a lot of hassale plus a rip off but problem is still there. Hopes this clamping fix will resolve this issue. many thanks for your help guys...
I meant to sort that out this morning, I've been busy as hell!

A turbo was never going to be able to compress air at high flow rate while spinning around 50,000rpm or so, and be silent. Listen to your average VW Turbo (same as these) - they sound quite nice.

Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay - Many Thanks Phil - i agree with your advise and I would ignore this whistleing noise then. i would keep driving as it is :)

·
Registered
552 Posts

PDF link is up and running again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PDF link is up and running again.
Thanks again, phil, as you have advised, no problems with Turbo, only bit of noise, getting used to it as with this post, i am very confident that i am not making the situition any worst. so would not go for any fix for this moment but would keep this pdf safe, in case would be needed in future.

I have Found this forum very useful and hopes that would keep benefiting from the experience of you guys of driving peugeot, i am glad that i have joined this forum :):thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts