Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, owning a 407 is a strange one at times.

My 407 2L Coupe diesel has this strange whining sound coming from the engine compartment when you get between 1500 - 2000 revs, usually in 1st & 2nd gears when your taking off.

The only way i can describe the sound is it is like cop car siren in the distance. In fact when it first stated a few weeks ago i was looking in the mirrors to see if the cops were coming down the road behind me wanting past.

Apart from this noise the car is running fine with no problems at all its just a bit annoying, im more worried about what this noise is leading up too. A turbo problem perhaps?

Anybody with any ideas as to what it may be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It`s your Turbo , i have the same ,it`s like someone with no teeth trying to whistle , it doesn`t worry me :thumb:
Thats exactly how it sounds like.

Why doesnt it trouble you though, its not normal is it?

The car didnt do it before and only started a few weeks ago. My main worry is this is a prelude to the turbo going pop?...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see your point Betty.

I was just wondering if this turbo starting to whine means i need to start puting away some ££ if this whine means it may go on me in the near future.

My love affair with this car is seriously being tested, reliability is non-existant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to bring up an older thread but I've been searching Google trying to narrow down how to describe this noise and scottn's post perfectly sums it up!! It's going into the garage tomorrow for them to diagnose it but I'm sure I already know what they're going to tell me...

Does anyone know if this is actually a serious problem? Can it be sat on and not worried about? Or is it a matter of sorting it now rather than later? Any more replies greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest it doesnt affect the running of the car in the slightest.

I asume its just the turbo winding itself up in 1st & 2nd gears, still it shouldnt make a noise though.

I would expect the Peugoet garage to want to change the turbo and as usual with them you can guess a price, double it then add a bit more on the get a cost.

Let me know what the come back with though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be honest it doesnt affect the running of the car in the slightest.

I asume its just the turbo winding itself up in 1st & 2nd gears, still it shouldnt make a noise though.

I would expect the Peugoet garage to want to change the turbo and as usual with them you can guess a price, double it then add a bit more on the get a cost.

Let me know what the come back with though.
Hi mate, yeah you're right in that it doesnt affect the car but it was a little concerning! I aired on the side of caution, although I didn't take it to a Peugeot dealer!

Took it to my faithful local garage and they checked it out and basically said there's nothing wrong and it's working fine! So a bit of a result. However one of the ball joints was on the way out (which I was aware of and have been for some time) so finally got that sorted!

Hope that helps? How many miles has your car covered? Mines on 139,500 so it wasn't entirely unexpected. I can deal with the sound, its mildly amusing and I usually have music on the go anyway so will be none the wiser :).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has done about 90k now.

Did your mechanic say what was causing this noise and if there was any way to sort it without replacing expensive parts.

Like you say it doesnt effect the car but people turning round to look when they hear the noise as you take off in 1st gear is a bit off putting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has done about 90k now.

Did your mechanic say what was causing this noise and if there was any way to sort it without replacing expensive parts.

Like you say it doesnt effect the car but people turning round to look when they hear the noise as you take off in 1st gear is a bit off putting
No he didn't explain what was causing it, except that the turbo itself is operating normally. To be honest it's what I wanted to hear in the sense that it could of been a whole lot worse, I don't think he even knew what was causing it.

For the time being I'm happy for it to stay like this, I'll keep an eye on the car and any change in behaviour. Have you taken you're car to a garage yet? Maybe then can give an answer..?

·
5,071 Posts
Mines got two whining noises:nod: first is from the engine bay the same as yours, and the second.........................................is from the passenger seat when i put my foot down:lol: she cant brake for me on a 407 like has recently been reported on other peugeots can she ??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to keep bringing this thread back I just thought I should provide an update, nothing has drastically changed except the noise has got a little louder. I'm not sure how to feel about this? "scottn" did you notice this?

I was starting to wonder if it was just me being paranoid but surely I would start to not notice the noise after a while as opposed to hearing it more?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you end up becoming more paranoid over time about it, possible with the warmer weather and the window open.

Dont think mine is getting any louder but if it didnt cost a fortune i would get it sored even though ti doesnt affect the car running at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be honest i think mine origionaly got louder and is now starting to decrease, or perhaps im just becoming immune to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be honest i think mine origionaly got louder and is now starting to decrease, or perhaps im just becoming immune to it.
Well it's probably written off any chances of actually selling it for anything now?! Not like it's worth a great deal anyway but hey, if I was a buyer I probably wouldn't even consider it :(.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly now i know what it is its surprising how many other make and model or cars i hear going exactly the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll find that this whistling whining noise is as a result of a split vaccum or turbo hose, simple fix once you can find the source!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts