Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi back again. My 307 makes a whining noise at high speed. I have a 1.6 manual. It goes in gear fine and drives fine but I really don't know what this noise is. Any help would be great

·
Registered
441 Posts
could you perhaps describe how/when it happens? while accelerating or just only in high gears..etc?
you say high speed, is it checked/serviced regular?
oil in gearbox level checked?
is it louder while turning corners?
what speed are you at when you notice noise?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi it does it between 50_60 mph it's there when foot is on accelerator but if I take foot off the noise slows down as the car is slowing down. I have checked oil and water etc and all seem Ok. I have not had the car long.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used to have an Audi that did a similar thing. Had it checked by Audi who said it was just a noisy gear box. Lasted years and didn't really get much worse.

I think sometimes things will wear to the point where they will become a little whiny at certain times - but will still the job and last for ages...... back to the wife again lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Could be a number of probs to be honest, how long you had it?
has the cam belt been done?
does it suddenly stop whining when you get to a lower speed or does it go quiet with the lower speed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it doesn't do it at low speed. Not sure if cambelt has been done only had it a couple of months. It's done 82000 miles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
ok, what I should have asked was has it always made this noise since owning it? anyway, i asked about the cam belt because last weekend my neighbour had a similar prob and the cam belt was splitting/shredding...very close call on her focus!

it's sounds very "bearing sounding to me" shaft, gearbox, wheel....etc
its very difficult while trying to help with just msg's when you need to hear it?

put a post up on here for someone in your area who might be able to pop over and take a listen, this site has some great guys with experience and probably a fraction of the cost of a garage...might even charge you a cuppa :)

I'm north Birmingham by drayton manor

sorry I can't help you more...good luck!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi thanks for your help. No it didn't do it when I first got the car. It's only started doing it in the last week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts