Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new problem with my ongoing project.
First off it's a 2001 206 1.6 16v with an uprated MA/S gearbox.
Gearbox code: 20CN24
OEM: 2222-R0

Yesterday I replaced the gearbox support. I bought a complete set and this was the last one to go in.

Now when I drive I hear a noise (presumably from the gearbox).
It's like metal on metal at low speeds and high pitched at high speeds.
The noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged. And is more prominent when accelerating and decelarating.

I'm thinking input-shaft bearing or clutch release bearing?. Any thoughts on this?

Not sure why it happend after I changed the support. The gearbox did drop about 2 inches when I took the old support out(I did support the gearbox though).

I always had some problems when engaging the clutch. It doesn't engage smoothly, but pretty hard as if I release the clutch real fast. This is less promintent when the engine is up to temperature.

I sure hope it doesn't mean a gearbox replacement.

P.S. 260k on the gearbox, and I can't seem to find the bearing in the servicebox, only the guidebush which has OEM-code: 2105 38.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I had a talk with someone and he said from experience that new and cheap mounts are very stiff and transfer all kinds of sounds.
Well I bought the cheapest mounts I could find. I refitted the old one (which was actually still in good condition ) and now I can't hear it anymore. At least it's not audible for me.
At low speeds I can hear something a bit muffled, but the high pitched whistle isn't there anymore.

My question now is. It's there still something wrong in the clutch or gearbox which needs attending to?
And can I postpone replacing the clutch plate and pressure plate, ie is it safe to drive?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.