Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one identify this strange noise that is happening on my 307 2007 1.6 petrol, it sounds like it coming from a component thats attached to the serpentine belt, but I'm just guessing

https://vid.me/msQm

·
Registered
596 Posts
I heard it with headphones, when you push your camera/phone deeper, the whining goes to the right ear, where the alternator is. Try it yourself.

This can be false though...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can some one identify this strange noise that is happening on my 307 2007 1.6 petrol, it sounds like it coming from a component thats attached to the serpentine belt, but I'm just guessing

https://vid.me/msQm
I may be mistaken but your tensioner pulley doesn't appear to be spinning??

If this is the case, change it asap. If not, it'll snap your belt in no time. (Change the belt too)

But if it is spinning, I recommend this as the source of the noise.

The pulley is relatively straight forward to change, usually 1 or 2 bolts. There should also be a square socket on the pulley so you can put a ratchet/breaker bar on to release the spring and remove the belt. (Or a socket on the visible bolt in the centre of the pulley)

Also depending on your confidence, it can be handy to take a picture of the belt routing so replacing the belt is easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys, however I have just checked to see if the pully was actually spinning and it is, the video make it look static fro some reason.

Could it be a bearing in one of the components such as the alternator

·
Registered
287 Posts
Havnt listened to the video.

but same thing on mine, has been doing it for atleast 5000 miles. hasnt really gotten any louder.

was worried it was the turbo but discovered it was happening from idle and heard the whjine increase as soon as reves increased.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with the alternator theory. Sorry to complicate things and not wishing to throw a spanner into the works ( no pun intended ) but I have also heard a similar noise from a failed water pump.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you've not already sorted it, get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope. (pretty cheap online)

This should allow you to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Probably cheaper than a gamble as I think everything has been suggested so far ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts