Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 1mm left (before they become illegal) on the tyres that came on the car when I purchased it new in September 2015.

They're Michelin Sport Pilot 3's but they are VERY expensive (£170+ each). I had a ring around local tyre places and two they recommended are Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's (£127) and Avon ZZ5 XL's (£111). The Peugeot dealer offered to put on Nexen (never heard of them) for £90 each.

I'm assuming the Nexen are cheap and nasty if the dealer is selling them at that price.

The Michelins are on 20000 miles (plus whatever I can get out of the last millimetre or so), having done seven trips to Germany on fast roads.

I know tyres are a subjective subject, but I would appreciate any feedback, in particular those of you who do a fair few motorway miles.

I've got a 1.6HDi Allure, with 235/45 ZR18 98Y tyres. :thumb:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nexen aren't bad (generally, not exactly tried them in that size on your car ;)).

They're no Michelin, but they're certainly no Stomil either...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tyres

I've got about 1mm left (before they become illegal) on the tyres that came on the car when I purchased it new in September 2015.

They're Michelin Sport Pilot 3's but they are VERY expensive (£170+ each). I had a ring around local tyre places and two they recommended are Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's (£127) and Avon ZZ5 XL's (£111). The Peugeot dealer offered to put on Nexen (never heard of them) for £90 each.

I'm assuming the Nexen are cheap and nasty if the dealer is selling them at that price.

The Michelins are on 20000 miles (plus whatever I can get out of the last millimetre or so), having done seven trips to Germany on fast roads.

I know tyres are a subjective subject, but I would appreciate any feedback, in particular those of you who do a fair few motorway miles.

I've got a 1.6HDi Allure, with 235/45 ZR18 98Y tyres. :thumb:
Hi I have same car as you just bought a full size spare wheel and tyre Michelin payed £137 for tyre £200 for wheel which fits in wheel space but looked at Asda Tyres Joyride Sport RX6 might be worth a look

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a full size steel spare, which I'm glad to say has not been used in anger. I wanted a proper spare as over the past 20 months I've driven to Germany seven times, and didn't fancy being stuck on the side of the autobahn with a can of gunk!

Is the Michelin the Sport Pilot 3? If it is, where did you get it for that price?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tyres

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a full size steel spare, which I'm glad to say has not been used in anger. I wanted a proper spare as over the past 20 months I've driven to Germany seven times, and didn't fancy being stuck on the side of the autobahn with a can of gunk!

Is the Michelin the Sport Pilot 3? If it is, where did you get it for that price?

Hi yes it is same tyre bought mine from OPONEO.co.uk but noticed that the price has gone up check them out

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normally £174, but on offer for £142. Add fitting and it's about the best price I've found locally. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I had Nexen N8000 on my 508 GT. More than happy with them, I might get them on my RCZ.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nexans are fine. I changed the wheels and tyres on my 2.0litre 150PS FAP, because the 225 x 60 R16 Michelin Snow and Mud original fit were so noisy. Fitted R17 wheels and 225 x 50 Nexans (£90 from Peugeot) and they were much quieter, but last Christmas I had to have two tyres replaced in an emergency and they were only £50 each! To my very great surprise they've been very good. Quiet, good in the wet and roadholding is fine with the 2.0litre 150's firmer suspension. I find these are SUNEW and almost certainly from China. So swallow your misgivings and try them. As it'll only cost you £200 you can always chuck them! Brunel Tyres in Bristol if you're not too far away. AQ

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tyres

Hi looking at getting these Goform Ecoplus UHP 235/45 R18 98 W XL £47 a tyre any info would be nice for my 3008 Alure

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which Tyres

Just changed the Sunew cheap tyres for Hankook and the difference is surprising. Quieter, softer and improved roadholding. Just goes to show a) One can be wrong and b) Very cheap tyres are a mistake!

AQ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.

I’ve just put on a set of Falken FK510’s for £450 fitted. I’ve only done a few miles on them so no real feedback on performance.

However, the Michelin’s they replaced, although still legal, were well past their best. 7 trips to Germany at 1500 miles a trip, and, about the same amount of trips to Lincolnshire at 450 to 500 miles per trip squared them off nicely.

I’ll give updates as and when I have any. :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the tyres a few months and I’m pretty pleased.

Noise level appears about the same as the Michelin’s they replaced, comfort level just as good and very little sign of wear after 3000 miles. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had a couple replaced on my 3008. Went for General Tyres Altimax Sport, as they were a reasonably cheap "mid range" tyre and had pretty good reviews.

The fitter explained that General Tyres are actually made by Continental and are definitely one of the better "no name" brands.

I've had them on for about 1000 miles and they seem to be wearing pretty well (in fact I can't see any wear at all on them yet) and they certainly perform as well as the Michelins they replaced.

I'll certainly be buying them again once the other two need replacing.

At £100 a corner, I thought they weren't too bad value.

·
6,778 Posts
Nexen aren't bad (generally, not exactly tried them in that size on your car ;)).

They're no Michelin, but they're certainly no Stomil either...
I was recommended Nexens for my DS and have used them ever since A rated for wet grip and quite low noise. They drive fine in all weather and are quieter than the michelins they replaced. They also last well.

A bonus is they are "Insured" by nexen if you get a non repairable puncture or other damage that makes the tyre unuseable they will refund a percentage of the purchase price based on wear (eg 50% worn 50% off a replacement). Touch wood never had to try to claim yet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tyres

Maybe you are sorted by now? But I would have suggested the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, which were great on 17-inch wheels on my 1.6HDi Active, but they don't make them in that size! So my best bet would be Continental SportContact 5, which always get good reports, ride well, and are available on-line, for local fitting, for around £115 upwards.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check out the on line tyre places (camskill, black circles and mytyres) for prices on their tyres and fitting, they will also give you a wider spectrum of brands for you to choose from ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update.

I’ve just put on a set of Falken FK510’s for £450 fitted. I’ve only done a few miles on them so no real feedback on performance.

However, the Michelin’s they replaced, although still legal, were well past their best. 7 trips to Germany at 1500 miles a trip, and, about the same amount of trips to Lincolnshire at 450 to 500 miles per trip squared them off nicely.

I’ll give updates as and when I have any. :thumb:
I'm looking at purchasing these tyres but can't seem to find any information regarding rim protection (protecting the alloy from being kurbed) do you know?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its best not to get close enough to a kerb in the first place rather than let the tyre do the work :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts