Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having my cambelt done next week and I will be changing the Water Pump at the same time. What antifreeze should I put in a 2.0HDi? Red Blue Green any particular make or specification?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i'm not sure on the brand but it comes in a black bottle from halfords...never had a problem with that...kept my engine at 80 degrees - even in the hot sun (when we had it) and that was on long journeys to scotland aswell... used the same stuff during the recent winter...engine started first time with no problems everytime (so very low freezing point)

C

·
0 Posts
Silicon free organo-phosphate, which is red or pinky/orange. 50/50 protects down to something like -30 Celcius, 30/70 down to something like -10C. Pug dealers sell it ready mixed, but it's better value buying it from Halfrauds and adding your own water to the desired ratio.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Having my cambelt done next week and I will be changing the Water Pump at the same time. What antifreeze should I put in a 2.0HDi? Red Blue Green any particular make or specification?
Halfords Advanced Anti Freeze & Coolant Concentrate
The Halfords Advanced Anti Freeze & Coolant Concentrate meets the requirements of: Audi (TL774D), Ford (WSS-M97B44-D & ESD M97B49-A), Mercedes Benz (MB325.3), General Motors (GM1899M & Opel GM QL130100), Seat (TL774D), Skoda (TL774D), VW (TL774D), MAN (324-SNF), Chrysler (MS9176), Volvo, Renault (41-01-001) as well as many other vehicles manufactured after 1998, if in any doubt, always refer to manufacturers recommendations & handbooks. It has a 5year life and is suitable for all year use as a coolant and anti freeze. The silicate free, organic acid technology (OAT) provides superior engine protection and is compatible with all vehicle manufacturers' colours of OAT coolants.

Features & Benefits
5 Year Life
Suitable for all year round - anti freeze / summer coolant
Temperature range from +108C / -34C
Maximum concentration = 50% water / 50% anti freeze
Suitable for most vehicles manufactured after 1998
Silicate free, organic acid technology (OAT) for superior engine protection
Compatible with all vehicle manufacturers' colours of OAT coolants
Enhanced corrosion protection
Additional Information
If in doubt, always refer to manufacturers recommendations & handbooks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try the VW/Audi stuff

bettyswollocks said:
PINK in my 307 :p
I'm new here, so not taking the pi$$ but having just pulled my Touareg apart at 132,000 for a new thermostat... The VAG G12 Plus Plus (Pink) coolant is going into every vehicle I every buy! The V8 they use is all alloy, and the machined surfaces behind the water pump and thermostat looked like they had been machined only a few hours earlier, not 7 years and 132,000km's ago. They were mirror like and gleamed!

Contrasted with my wife's 307 that had only had Peugeot chemicals in it from the main dealer and a full system flush required recently as the coolant had turned to gunk and the radiator was partially blocked. I suspect my 607 would also benefit from a flush (its registering 100c more often than not).

No one asked for it, but there is my 10c

C

·
0 Posts
I did my 407 just after it's 5th Birthday, and everything was shiny and neat, no problems. The NASA spec chemicals and lubes in my Toyota powered 107 knock the cheap VW stuff into a cocked hat - fully synth SM 0w/20 from the factory for a start...

PS, I'll slap up some pics of the new 107 soon.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
yo_clarkie said:
I'm new here, so not taking the pi$$ but having just pulled my Touareg apart at 132,000 for a new thermostat... The VAG G12 Plus Plus (Pink) coolant is going into every vehicle I every buy! The V8 they use is all alloy, and the machined surfaces behind the water pump and thermostat looked like they had been machined only a few hours earlier, not 7 years and 132,000km's ago. They were mirror like and gleamed!

Contrasted with my wife's 307 that had only had Peugeot chemicals in it from the main dealer and a full system flush required recently as the coolant had turned to gunk and the radiator was partially blocked. I suspect my 607 would also benefit from a flush (its registering 100c more often than not).

:thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yo_clarkie said:

Thanks yo_clarkie where do you get it from

C

·
0 Posts
The VW stuff is manufactured by BASF...who also manufacture the Peugeot stuff...

The G12 VW stuff is the same as Peugeot OAT stuff, made to the same Euro standard, by the same supplier...

They're also OE coolant suppliers to Daimler, Porsche, Vauxhall-Opel, MAN & all the other VW group manufacturers.

Nice label ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke to the local Peugeot dealer today to ask how much antifreeze must i add to the system. Depending on model of engine it holds either 7.2l or 9l in either case 2l of antifreeze is required to be added to the system then topped up with water. They also said that they use Blue or Green antifreeze not red as I originally thought. Ordered my cambelt kit and water pump today thats the next job im calling on an expert for this one.

C

·
0 Posts
Its quite safe to use the blue/green glycol based coolant, but it has only half the life of the standard red/orange OAT stuff. You can even mix them safely, although this reduces the lifespan of the red stuff to the 2 years of the glycol.

C

·
0 Posts
2-3 years for glycol coolant.

4-5 years for OAT coolant.

Most manufacturers also specify mileages at which they should be replaced if reached before the time period, as it'll only survive so many heat cycles.

The anti-free propertie remain unaffected, but the anti-boil and anti-corrosion properties of the coolant go for a burton.

·
Registered
34 Posts
chopper1192 said:
2-3 years for glycol coolant.

4-5 years for OAT coolant.

Most manufacturers also specify mileages at which they should be replaced if reached before the time period, as it'll only survive so many heat cycles.

The anti-free propertie remain unaffected, but the anti-boil and anti-corrosion properties of the coolant go for a burton.

Learning new stuff! Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts