Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday i replaced the nearside lower track control arm on the 307 1.4hdi.
As anyone who has done this may know when the hub is allowed to `wobble around` (because it`s not held in place with the lower ball joint) and during the manipulation of the hub whilst dissasembly/fitting the new arm etc it`s possible to pull the driveshaft out from the engine slightly enough to cause a leak of oil from the gearbox.
I didn`t remove my undertray to do this job so most of the oil would of collected on there, but there was still quite an oil loss enough to form a small puddle under the car (after it had dripped off the undertray).

After my first two trips in the car i`ve found a small puddle of oil underneath - the first one i assumed was the excess oil draining off the undertray but the second time it happened has me a little worried - have i damaged something (gearbox/driveshaft oil seal maybe?) or is the driveshaft not seated correctly?

As i understand it the inner CV joint housing is held in position by a snap-ring on the shaft which locates and holds it in place in the gearbox, and i`ve heard that in some cases they can be quite difficult to remove, so would it be possible for the driveshaft to have come out of position slightly causing the oil leak?
It may just need pushing firmly back into place to ensure the oil seal and related parts of the shaft are properly mated?

Also, when you have the wheel hub disconnected like this, why/where does the oil leak from, because the inner CV joint housing is still located in it`s normal position isn`t it, and the in/out movement in the shaft you experience when the hub is disconnected is caused by the normal action of the inner CV joint which allows for the shortening of the shaft when the suspension moves up/down?
So where does the oil leak from?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would replace the driveshaft oil seal, seems like it got damaged. Pretty easy to do but also pretty easy to replace. I would drain the gearbox completely, replqce the seal and replace the oil with the correct amount so you can be sure the level is correct. If you carry on without checking the gearbox oil you'll regret it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, i suppose so, but i really can`t face another prolonged spannering session on that fricking car at the moment...

Have you done the driveshaft oil seal on yours?

What i`m confused about is how the inner CV joint housing would move out of position when it`s supposed to be firmly fixed by that snap-ring?

Another question: if it wasn`t for the rubber gaitor holding the inner CV joint together would it be possible to pull the shaft straight out of the CV joint or is there something in there from preventing the spider/bearing assembly from coming all the way out?

·
5,881 Posts
Just top up gearbox before you drive it the input shaft bearing on them fail very quickly with low oil.

Then wash down undertray and bottom of gearbox. Seal maybe fine you just pulled shaft slightly out when changing arm. In this cooler weather oil can be quite thick and take some time to run off under tray.

The same happened to me on daughters 207 the shaft was only out of place for about 20 secs (the time it took me to see it and push it back). It leaked over 1/2Ltr of oil.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had a similar problem with a Citroen AX. I would suggest cleaning everything down, top up the gearbox and see what happens over the next few days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I`m answering my own question here....
I did the driveshaft oil seal today and it all went splendidly, luckily it was the n/s without the support bearing half way along...
I hope that`s the last time for a while i`ll have to get under that bloody thing - i`ve had it up on stands for the last three weekends..
The oil level was rather low, i reckon on only one litre in there - i topped it up.

There is no snap-ring on the driveshaft which holds it in place in the gearbox - the shaft simply pulls out with ease.
The new oil seal tapped in easily.
There appears to be a spring in the inner CV joint (presumably between the spider and housing) which simply pushes the CV joint into position in the gearbox under that springs pressure.

The end (hopefully)
Hann.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
No peugeot gearboxes use snap rings to hold the shaft into the box just spring pressure in the inner cup on passenger side and drivers side the bearing is bolted into lower mount been this way for many years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts