Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I believe the nearest to 4WD for the 3008 will be the hybrid model in a couple of years time. The grip control option on the car is very good though in most scenarios.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hi
Does anyone know if and/or when 4wd is going to be an option for the new 3008?
I suspect Peugeot have sensed a move away from 4WD to the crossover 2WD vehicle at least until the hybrid version arrives.
Subaru are locked into 4WD with all their vehicles and I wonder if they might be having second thoughts about future sales prospects if the public decides they can't justify the added weight/friction/servicing costs plus higher fuel consumption.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I suspect Peugeot have sensed a move away from 4WD to the crossover 2WD vehicle at least until the hybrid version arrives.
Subaru are locked into 4WD with all their vehicles and I wonder if they might be having second thoughts about future sales prospects if the public decides they can't justify the added weight/friction/servicing costs plus higher fuel consumption.
Peugeot just don't have any experience that's recent or relevant with 4wd or AWD. Prior PSA Cars I can think of where just buy ins that were based on mitsubishi platforms like the citroen c-crosser/ pug 4008(2012) which was just an ASX. Plenty of market leading cars(in sales volume) offer AWD, ie sportage/tiguan/cx-5 etc which have sold vastly more units than peugeot.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Peugeot have made 4 wheel drive cars for years !!!

504 505 205 306 405 partner van boxer van ALL had 4x4 options as did equivelent citroens.

French police had 200hp 4x4 405s

·
Registered
765 Posts
Peugeot have made 4 wheel drive cars for years !!!

504 505 205 306 405 partner van boxer van ALL had 4x4 options as did equivelent citroens.

French police had 200hp 4x4 405s
I did say recent.. not sure any of those cars were even produced this decade.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Point is they DO have experience and just because the cars are not sold here does not mean they are not made.

The vehicles i mentioned were made when peugeot were at there best and most of them are highly sought after now they did go down hill rapidly for many years with 407 etc 307 especially rubbish :) but i doubt they will ever make a proper 4x4 again as it would simply be too expensive the best you will get as already said will be the hybrid.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Point is they DO have experience and just because the cars are not sold here does not mean they are not made.

The vehicles i mentioned were made when peugeot were at there best and most of them are highly sought after now they did go down hill rapidly for many years with 407 etc 307 especially rubbish :) but i doubt they will ever make a proper 4x4 again as it would simply be too expensive the best you will get as already said will be the hybrid.
All the competition offer 4x4 or AWD, I'm not arguing that it is a requirement or that people actually need it. But from the number of cars like the sportage that offer with and without, I see a lot of cars on the road with the AWD badge, so Joe public clearly wants it rightly or wrongly. What PSA did 20 years ago, good or bad is irrelevant other than being interesting history, PSA have outsourced that part of the market until now and do not have a platform that can offer AWD, so of course their marketing will be that it's not required.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
To be honest i am very much in the 4 wheel drive club i have driven many 4x4 cars over the years and regardless of what some say the benefits are considerable i always have a subaru of some sort as a tow car but i do feel most drivers want it rather than need it as you say very few actually know how to drive them properly.

Every winter where i live first bit of snow there is a hill littered with 4x4s of all descriptions from jap crap to overpriced range rovers the drivers cant get them up it i dont get why they bother buying something capable and making a total pigs ear of driving it :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There will always be places where winter conditions makes 4WD an advantage and necessary in extremis, but there are so many owners who have decided that fuel economy/emissions are THEIR priority.
Re quality; the PSA group are producing a vastly superior product to that of the not so distant past.
They have gone public in stating that they are on a 'last chance' if the are to survive as independent manufacturers.
Peugeot will always have to put up with the 'french' put down.......for at least a few more years......and the 'German' boast is a tad overdone actually.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi
Does anyone know if and/or when 4wd is going to be an option for the new 3008?
the 3008 on sale today will never have proper 4WD, because it has no room for it with the flat floor. At the best it will have the Hybrid4-thing which is as useless as most of the 4WD-systems on sale today. For sure, if you are not that experienced driver and get stuck on snow or ice it might help you, but the only 4WD systems worth paying for (in my opinion) are the ones you find in Land Cruiser, G-wagon or Land Rover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts