Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm convinced I have one if not both front wheel bearings on their way out. I asked a mechanic and he pointed out that my tyres were knackered. Changed the tyres and although the new ones are much better, this didn't affect the noise.

Then on Monday I asked another mechanic to have a look at it while he did the MOT (passed no advisories :) :eek: , shaln't get into why it's a different mechanic but there is a reason) and he said there wasn't any unusual noise and it was probably just tyre noise. So, I told the tyre story but he was sticking to his guns.

I know how difficult it is to hear noises when you're not used to the vehicle -- it took me about 6 months to get settled into the 407 when I first got it. But I'm telling you there is a noise and its loud!

The noise is a drone/rumble. It's there at all speeds but it's really bad at between about 40 to 47 mph. It's always there, but it's a lot worse on poor surfaces. It's worse on left hand bends -- although this I'm more likely to be imagining.

So: if it's not a wheel bearing then what could it be? Should I just put my money where my mouth is and have it changed?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All 4 spin freely albeit with some noise of the disc on the pads. The rear wheels spin noticeably more freely than the front. No roughness though.
:confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Does the noise go when turning left or right? When bearing had gone on my 306 estate, turning left would make the noise go. For months we replaced everything possible on wheels, didn't think of bearing. Wasn't until it went for test did they tell me and they thankfully fixed it.

Any chance of a video so we can hear it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's an easy test for bearing failure. With the wheel elevated, hold the wheel top-and-bottom and wobble. Now have a helper press and hold the brake pedal and repeat.

If the wobble is gone it is most likely wheel bearing failure. If the wobble remains then it's most likely the lower ball joint/swivel hub.

C

·
0 Posts
When did it last have all 4 wheels aligned?

I ask cos a couple of mates in the last few months have complained of similar noise and couldn't find the cause as a last resort they had four wheel alignment done and couldn't believe the difference afterwards, both said it was like driving a new car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We had a bearing like noise from our 807 after purchase from a car auction and I tried everything to find the cause (spinning wheels, checking for play etc) without success even re-aligned the front wheels.
Gave up, 18 months later bought 4 Michelin tyres (old tyres were a mixture of low cost tyres), drove away from Costco and realised straight away noise had gone and hasn't come back despite covering a further 80K miles. Think car was probably designed for Michelins but surely any premium tyre should be OK.
Seem to recall noise was worst on smooth roads, which doesn't fit your symptoms.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone :cool: It's really appreciated.

It was on four nasty Sunny SN3970s. They're now changed for Michelin Primacy 3 on the front and Michelin Primacy HP on the rear (part worn). The difference is astonishing :thumb: , but no change to the noise. :mad:

No change turning left or right.

Wheels alignment checked shortly before the tyres were changed and spot on.

I'll be recruiting a colleague tomorrow to have a go at wheel wobbling :lol:

A cursory glance at the bottom ball joints and nothing jumps out -- I believe when they're bad it's usual to see a lot of rust and even metal fragments.

Video to follow...

C

·
0 Posts
I've had two wheel bearings fail, one on the 407 and one on the combo van both have been identified by doing the left/right steering test NEVER been able to pick up a failed one with the grabbing of the wheel test. Even a garage I used for the one on the van couldn't pin point which was fault and even changed a rear bearing when it was the front.

Lower ball joints usually give a good old clunk when going over bumps if they've failed, unless the hubs a worn like mine and just constantly groan.

·
5,027 Posts
Small point but you say the wheels were checked for alignment. Was that 4-wheel alignment or just the normal front 2 ??
oh and my tupeneth, i think your not going to be happy until you've changed both wheel-bearings. Its in you head now so is going to eat away at you till you change them...................just saying :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,
i have the same problem.
For sure it could be the tyres but it is really like a light front wheel bearing noise .
If you jack the car up and test there is nothing to find.
Our other car had it when we got it and it has been like this for two years , never got worse.
As some one said unless you change the bearings it will drive you nuts!

Hi,
my 206 which i just bought has what sounds like wheel bearing noise?
Very slight but doesn't get worse the faster you go . Annoys you at 100kph but doesn't get worse if you go faster .
I checked the gearbox oil and it is fine. Then the passenger front wheel,no play and seems fine.

These noises must be common on P 206 cars , what do people do to get them fixed?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right then chaps, I have some videos.

I think the most interesting one is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQ_SelpSrc
This is the front driver's side wheel jacked up off the floor, and pulling on an alloy spoke at 6 O'Clock. There's a clear wobble. It's the same at 3 and 9 O'clock and less so at 12 O'clock (but at 12 I guess maybe I should have been pushing rather than pulling).

Same on the passenger side, but less so.

I've also got
* spinning the front wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRBUfGIE3s
* spinning the rear wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjd0XbB6z0

Here's part of my commute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgwXln98czE
I'm not sure I can hear my noise on the video, but I certainly could at the time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just after replacing two rear bearings myself for the MOT...07 SW with 113000k on it, so not too bad.

Definitely agree with poorer quality tryes giving more road noise!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I put my money where my mouth is (£212 -- another reason to hate Berkshire) and got the front drivers side wheel bearing changed and its no bloody different :mad:

So I'll just have to let it develop :(

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What about the intermediate driveshaft bearing? Might be worth lifting the front of the car up and have engine running in gear and use a stethoscope to check for noise from CV's, intermediate bearing and differential. Make sure car is securely on stands before trying this. However if any of these are worn you should hear a change in noise as you come on and off the gas.

·
5,027 Posts
Well, I put my money where my mouth is (£212 -- another reason to hate Berkshire) and got the front drivers side wheel bearing changed and its no bloody different :mad:

So I'll just have to let it develop :(
oh dear :( Maybe just buy a new cd and turn the music up :nod:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Parallel bearings, as opposed to tapered bearings, rarely show any play even when knackered. A nice little tip here that works on most cars. Jack up the car. Grab hold of the suspension spring and rotate the wheel by hand. If you can feel vibration through the spring then the bearing has had it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't feel anything in the springs on either side, and there's no way I can get in to the intermediate bearing as my trolley jack just won't go high enough. So it looks like I'll be off back to the garage...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't find anything serious but as i said the other car has had this slight noise for 2 years, never got worse.

So when i bought this later car with high mileage , 280,000 klms but in great condition i didn't expect the same noise as the other car which had had a very hard life.

So i wonder if all bloody 206 cars have this noise when the get old?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts