Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Have just done a tour of west Scotland with my cc with no issues or probs but now back home and at work its developed a "droning" type noise.
I'm on 73.5k miles now so wondering if the wheel bearings might be packing up . Its difficult to pin point the source of the noise but wondering if its the tyres or bearings. Its not a clunk or squeal or grinding sound. Sounds as if one or more tyres are flat but all four are ok with good tread.
The drone starts about 35mph and is consistent with speed up to about 70mph then fades out. No difference if braking or cornering. Same noise if cold or warm.

Any thoughts chaps or is it better to jack up the motor and see if each one free wheels ok with no binding etc.

Thanks

·
2,968 Posts
Hi..do a wheel bearing check by jacking up each corner...and spin each wheel...you will need to listen carefully as you cant spin it too fast and there is no weight on the bearing....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks noddy - hol.
If they are knackered or on way out are they a diy fix ? Done a few on an old mgb years ago and was a piece of cake then but now ...........

·
Registered
453 Posts
You need a hydrolic press to remove the front ones for certain and would imagine the same for the rears too, last time I did one an engineering Co. did mine and they needed 5 tonne press and lots of heat fro an oxy torch to get it out !

·
2,968 Posts
HI...your old m.g.b. probably had taper roller bearings...not too bad to do d.i.y...but as previous post its a press or hub and bearing replacement ..identify it first just in case its an easy fix..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas for responses. Checked wheels over the weekend, no noises or binding on any. Checked for any play or movement and all appears ok on all 4. I'm thinking tyres to be honest.
I've read the 2.0 cc are heavy on tyres so after a 1450 mile Scottish tour I think they may need changing now. Can't see any blisters, bubbles or undulations but can't see what else it can be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the saga continues. Decided to pop into my local Tyre expert and get them to check the tyres. Almost immediately he picked out the rear offside Tyre as out of shape !!!
Went along with this and had a replacement. Quite confident this was the reason i went tootling off. A day or so later no change !!!

Next was to swap over fronts to backs & backs to fronts. Done this last night .....................still no change.
However i did notice my discs especially the fronts are very thin and lipped with a nice rusty crust in the rim. Knocked this off with a hammer and cleaned up just to see if it made a diff.
I'm going to change these in any case as they will be prob be an mot failure but wonder if they could be the culprit. While the car was off the floor i checked for bearing noise and could not get any movement at all. Only noise was the pads on the discs at a certain spot only on the offside front.

Drove to work this morning and still there, still got a low back round type drone and a slight faint pulsating feeling through steering.

My thoughts are to change the discs and while there change the bearings. Cars on 74k miles so expect they might be due

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have also checked previous mot (Sept 16 - Sept 17) to see if any advisories on there. "Slight play offside steering tie rod" was mentioned.

Could this be the reason for the resonating coming through the steering and possibly the noise ?

·
2,968 Posts
Hi...your unlikely to find play in a modern wheel bearing but rotate them as fast as you can while jacked and listen for a slight humm....when turning when driving.. with the weight on.. a bad bearing will howl....the tie rod will have no effect just slight play in the steering

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes agreed , the discs will have to go. I think the fronts are a straightforward swap but the rears have the abs ring and bearing to consider in the fitment. I'm also going to change the tie rod ends as well , only £8 each so might as well while I'm in there.
Anyone found a good cheap supply of post facelift discs out there. Prices seem cheap until you realise that its for one and you need a pair. Quotes go from around £40.00 up to £100.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Background droning is a classic wheel bearing symptom. However it can be hard to find the culprit simply spinning the wheels. No doubt you needed a new tyre. If the discs are worn then obviously they should be replaced, regardless of when the mot is due.
But it may be you simply need to wait for the noise to get worse to identify the faulty bearing.

Roger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Managed to source a local comp who have the pads and discs (with bearing & abs ring on rears) all in for £100 which isn't bad.
Will bang these on then then if it still persists it got to be the front bearings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone confirm if the rear axle nut that secures the disc is 36mm. Just need to make sure got the correct tools before starting .

thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts