Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
308 2008 1.4 vti.

Good job I was wearing my rather fetching brown slacks last night - as a 'Antipollution Faulty' message popped up.

Got it onto PP2000 - the error message is:

'Permanent fault. Exhaust variable timing electrovalve control. Open circuit.'

Cleared the error and restarted - fault has now gone - drove home no problems. Even when the fault was showing there was none of the usual 'limp home' mode.

So, what is the car telling me, and do I need to have another pair of brown trousers to hand?:thumb:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Could be a spurious warning. Sometimes a voltage glitch can do that. Especially true when operating the starter. 50% of my cold starts give me a warning bong with no indicated symptoms. C'est une Peugeot. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
The fault basically means the solenoid is not working and the antipollution fault MESSAGE comes on to alert the driver of an issue its not worth getting any more brown trousers its normal peugeot system rubbish ANY issue throws up antipollution.

Not all issues have any noticeable symptoms and it may well be a glitch due to low voltage bad connections whatever.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came back and went away again today.

Anyhow - a bit of research on google - and I've a pretty good idea how to sort this out.

My EP3 has two VANOS solenoid valves - to control emissions - the exhaust valve acts like the good old EGR.

Luckily, the exhaust solenoid is on the front left top of the engine - easy to get to. It is replaced by taking off the electrical connection and removing a single 10mm bolt. The values themselves are 20 quid each.:thumb:

I'm in no particular rush to change as its intermittent and doesn't change how the car drives.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It came back and went away again today.

Anyhow - a bit of research on google - and I've a pretty good idea how to sort this out.

My EP3 has two VANOS solenoid valves - to control emissions - the exhaust valve acts like the good old EGR.

Luckily, the exhaust solenoid is on the front left top of the engine - easy to get to. It is replaced by taking off the electrical connection and removing a single 10mm bolt. The values themselves are 20 quid each.:thumb:

I'm in no particular rush to change as its intermittent and doesn't change how the car drives.
There is 2, theres one at the back too, and that is a big PITA to get too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is 2, theres one at the back too, and that is a big PITA to get too.
The exhaust one is one on the front...I think.....

I've decided to take it into the garage to sort out tomorrow - I'll be supping tea while the mechanic skins his knuckles.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to wrap this one up.

Mechanic said these solenoids rarely fail - he was right - he took it out - cleaned it - and all has been well. All wiring was checked as well.

There's a fine mesh on the solenoid that gets clogged up by bits and pieces as the oil passes through it.

He had a 'concerned' look on his face when he showed me the gunky solenoid - yea - the engines only done 100k plus - its bound to be squeeky clean inside - I thought - I was too polite to say this out loud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts