Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pertol V6 3.0 ltr. It has done 80k so does anyone have a recomendation for the best oil to use in the engine. I have looked at 5W-40 and 10W-40 but which make?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
davidg6529 said:
I have a pertol V6 3.0 ltr. It has done 80k so does anyone have a recomendation for the best oil to use in the engine. I have looked at 5W-40 and 10W-40 but which make?
dont go near 10W-40...

recommended is fully synthetic 5W 40.

I always use Shell Diesel Ultra..

you can use others but I have found that other brand heat up quickly but Shell remains below 90c at high speeds too..

PS. 10W-40 heats up very quickly and provides no protection to the engine..

G

·
Yes, provided it ALSO carries an SL rating or higher.

Check out the pug dealers - in my experience they're not badly prided for oil. Netto also occasionally has good oil at bargain basement prices. Opie often do good deals and last week I picked up 5 litres of Motul 5w 40 synth, delivered to my door for a few pennies under £30. Bargain.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Why does 10/40 heat up more quickly than 5/40?

Why is this a bad thing - one of the functions of oil it to dissipate heat from the engine - hence why some motors have oil coolers.

Why does 10/40 offer little protection when the engine is hot?

Do you sell oil?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Engine oil for 607

The main thing with the oil is to have a rating of at least SL as required by
Peugeot .I use SM Mobil HP1000 which is not synthetic and is 20W50. The thickness/viscousity 5 /10 /15/20 of the oil depends more on the temperatures which you operate in and in Adelaide it can get very hot but the oil temperature never reaches 90c even when in traffiic with the air on. In the UK I would use 15 /40. Regular changes including the filter are the most important and i do mine every 3000 miles. When you change the oil let it drain for aleast afew hours to remove all dirty oil you would be surprised how much extra will come out . I drain mine overnight .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to follow on from this thread.
Just been quoted £69 for an oil and filter change from my local Peugeot garage :eek: They said i might as well get an 'interim' service (check levels/kick the tyres etc) done at £89 :nono:

National tyres for the same oil 5W-40 and filter change.. £46 and with my £5 voucher, a bargain £41 :thumb:

Guess where I'm going.........

Cheers Nige

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Nige
That is not a bad price for a garage but it is a very simple job the filters are available for about 5 pounds at Motoquip on the net. It is easy to do it yourself and the filter is very accessible at the front of the engine and when you do it you can let it drain for a few hours but the garage wont . I wouldnt be putting 5 /30 oil if it has done a few miles and it is summmer there more like 15/40 but sure it will be ok as these cars rarely use oil.
Nigel
ps Car take 5.5 litres with filter

G

·
The comparison is meaningless unless we know what make of oil and filter both the dealers and the independent are using.

An oil and filter change takes 0.6hrs book time, so by the time the labour cost has been deducted from the price I'd be suspicious of the standard of materials used for a total of £49. There's doubtless a good reason why one costs £20 more than the other.

BTW, I wouldn't filter my bathwater with a Motaquip filter. OE/Purflux (or Denso on a 107), or MAHLE are all I would let near my pug engines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chopper you are right it depends on the standard of the products and do you even get the oil you paid for which is a problem in OZ .Not familiar with your filters so much we use Ryco here in Oz which are more expensive but good Feel the weight of the filter and check if it has anti drain valve in the centre of the filter .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Guys, just to say my oil was changed today Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 and a Fram filter. Got a nice suprise when i payed as it was actually £35, then the £5 voucher, only £30 :thumb:

Think I will have the oil changed every 10K instead of 20K now :)

Happy Motoring :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well that seems a good deal and the Magnatec oil is very good quality and Fram filters are fine .10000 kms changes are even longer than i would normally go .Regular oil and filter changes are the key to long engine life . My cars are all changed at 7500 kms or 12 months
Nigel

G

·
When I was in the trade Fram filters often caused us grief, oil pressure problems etc. We got curious and chopped one in half and the pleats of the filtering meduim were so tightly packed that they were touching, and not allowing the oil to flow through in many places. It also didn't have a non return valve, meaning the oil galleries drain while the engine is off and starving the engine of oil for a few seconds after start up.

Conversely, Magnates should be fine. A decent oil from a reputable manufacturer.

Provided you're using decent oil and filters there's no benefit to changing the oil any more frequently. Stick religiously to the manufacturers guidelines and you're spot-on.

G

·
Just be sure the oil is to the latest SL/SM standard. Eyeballing some cheap Castrol in Netto over the weekend and I noticed it was SF, so probably decade old stock from somewhere, and not of a suitable standard for modern motors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts