Peugeot Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have no proof either way myself but my thinking is that stop/start saves fuel overall. Not everything we're told is true though, my water usage has increased since I've had a new toilet with the reduced flush. Without getting too much into the nitty gritty, a narrower U bend and less water is not a successful combination, how I haven't got a blister on my flushing finger is beyond me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On the point of STOP / START - benefits and distractions.

This will save fuel (a bit) and pollution (a bit) depending upon one's journey. If one uses the vehicle for commuting less than 20Kms to and from work in peak hour traffic, where the journey has many traffic lights and one spends minutes stationary, then the savings are greater than if one has a 60Kms commute and only a couple of lights.

For me I have a 100Kms each way commute and only the last 5 kms are in stop start conditions. I turn it OFF, because in the 5008 Diesel, the system results in a jolting start when lifting of the brake and applying the throttle quickly. It's a bit smoother if one take the foot off the brake, waits a moment for the engine to start and then applies the throttle; but who does this at traffic lights?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having been the proud owner of. 508 GT First Edition for a year now I have to say it probably is the best car I have owned. I previously had a 2016 308 GT and couldn’t resist the 508 at renewal time.
Really smooth to drive and I make daily use of the adaptive cruise and Lane keeping makes my daily motorway journey effortless. Loads of cool features like Night Vision which really is not a gimmick it has spotted people who for some strange reason like to wear all black clothing on a country lane!!
The only thing I would change is the power of the springs in the doors not sure what Peugeot were thinking of !! It’s really easy to swing the door open and have it come straight back at you (rear doors are worst).
minor niggle though overall a well put together car.
Btw, for those who haven’t had their first service yet be prepared to lose it for a few days as there were 7 manufacturer recalls outstanding. None are safety related it’s just quality issues. Also, don’t forget the 4 software updates that it needs as well!!!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Having been the proud owner of. 508 GT First Edition for a year now I have to say it probably is the best car I have owned. I previously had a 2016 308 GT and couldn’t resist the 508 at renewal time.
Really smooth to drive and I make daily use of the adaptive cruise and Lane keeping makes my daily motorway journey effortless. Loads of cool features like Night Vision which really is not a gimmick it has spotted people who for some strange reason like to wear all black clothing on a country lane!!
The only thing I would change is the power of the springs in the doors not sure what Peugeot were thinking of !! It’s really easy to swing the door open and have it come straight back at you (rear doors are worst).
minor niggle though overall a well put together car.
Btw, for those who haven’t had their first service yet be prepared to lose it for a few days as there were 7 manufacturer recalls outstanding. None are safety related it’s just quality issues. Also, don’t forget the 4 software updates that it needs as well!!!
I agree the overall driving experience is very good and leagues ahead of the previous 508 which was pretty good. Mine was a year old in January and has had the ‘workshop interventions’ attended to. The last one a couple of weeks ago to check that the back massagers on the front seats were OK. I didn’t find out the detail but apparently 5% may need some corrective work. Mine didn’t. The only small gripe I have is that the radio reception is not always good, especially on DAB, and it will not interrupt for traffic announcements no matter what settings I adjust when tuned to DAB stations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree the overall driving experience is very good and leagues ahead of the previous 508 which was pretty good. Mine was a year old in January and has had the ‘workshop interventions’ attended to. The last one a couple of weeks ago to check that the back massagers on the front seats were OK. I didn’t find out the detail but apparently 5% may need some corrective work. Mine didn’t. The only small gripe I have is that the radio reception is not always good, especially on DAB, and it will not interrupt for traffic announcements no matter what settings I adjust when tuned to DAB stations.
Yep, know what you mean about the DAB but, as I tend to spend most of my life in a queue of traffic on the M25 I’m using Apple CarPlay and Spotify lol.
Mine has been booked in again for the massage seats apparently I do have a fault with the passenger one obviously never used it myself I’m nice a cosy in the drivers seat having a nice cat paw massage lol.
Btw, my daughter picked her new 208 gt-line up this afternoon beautiful car a little mini 508 in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yep, know what you mean about the DAB but, as I tend to spend most of my life in a queue of traffic on the M25 I’m using Apple CarPlay and Spotify lol.
Mine has been booked in again for the massage seats apparently I do have a fault with the passenger one obviously never used it myself I’m nice a cosy in the drivers seat having a nice cat paw massage lol.
Btw, my daughter picked her new 208 gt-line up this afternoon beautiful car a little mini 508 in my opinion.
My wife picked her 208 GTline 1.2L 100 up on 30 Jan. she loves it. Would you do me a favour and take a look at the front body panel immediately below the bonnet please. It is the very small panel that has the 208 badge on it. I have put a separate thread in the 208 forum concerning it. When we picked it up I noticed the alignment of this panel was not ideal. Both sides were raised above the bonnet line and the sharp corners at each end could easily be caught. One of the bodywork engineers attempted to improve it, but he couldn’t do much so I checked the other 208’s on the site and all showed varying degrees of poor alignment. I agreed to let them speak to Pug and have them rectify it when my wife took it in for its 1000 mile check. We did this this week and they have managed to realign the strip to be acceptable to me, but it is still not perfect and I expect some recall in the future. I would like other folk’s opinion about it. I think they have done some work on the others on sight since I pointed it out initially and there was a new e-208 there which was the same as ours after it had been adjusted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ah, so it's not just mine that refuses to interrupt for news and travel. Good to know.
I too find I use my Spotify via bluetooth most days. Now that I have this option, I find I tire easily from the constant adverts on the radio and switch to bluetooth quickly. I have 16 days of tracks on my miscellaneous play list! So that does me just fine :)

RE the doors. Must be a "First Edition" thing as I have not noticed any spring action on my doors.

I think my most favourite thing about the 508 is the active lane assist. On long journeys I really only rest my hand on the wheel and people watch out the windows. The car does everything else :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife picked her 208 GTline 1.2L 100 up on 30 Jan. she loves it. Would you do me a favour and take a look at the front body panel immediately below the bonnet please. It is the very small panel that has the 208 badge on it. I have put a separate thread in the 208 forum concerning it. When we picked it up I noticed the alignment of this panel was not ideal. Both sides were raised above the bonnet line and the sharp corners at each end could easily be caught. One of the bodywork engineers attempted to improve it, but he couldn’t do much so I checked the other 208’s on the site and all showed varying degrees of poor alignment. I agreed to let them speak to Pug and have them rectify it when my wife took it in for its 1000 mile check. We did this this week and they have managed to realign the strip to be acceptable to me, but it is still not perfect and I expect some recall in the future. I would like other folk’s opinion about it. I think they have done some work on the others on sight since I pointed it out initially and there was a new e-208 there which was the same as ours after it had been adjusted.
Hi, I checked for you and to me it looks fine completely flat and in line with the bonnet and wings. Let me know if a picture would help.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hi, I checked for you and to me it looks fine completely flat and in line with the bonnet and wings. Let me know if a picture would help.
Thanks for checking IanS2699.
I’m pleased they appear to have rectified the alignment, unless they come out of different plants. The bonnet on my wife’s maybe a tad low then. I might have a look to see if it can be lifted, but it’s better than it was so may just live with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This will save fuel (a bit) and pollution (a bit) depending upon one's journey. If one uses the vehicle for commuting less than 20Kms to and from work in peak hour traffic, where the journey has many traffic lights and one spends minutes stationary, then the savings are greater than if one has a 60Kms commute and only a couple of lights.
I found some data that said that while idling an engine consumes between 0.5 and 0.8 litre of petrol per hour. So, let's grab the highest value.
0.8l / 60min = 0.01 l/min
2€/l * 0.01l/min = 0.02€/min

So the saving is roughly 2 cents per minute.
During my commmute I rarely reach 5 minutes of stop time, only once I got 15 minutes. So, for me it is 10 cents twice a day, 20 cents a day means saving 6€ per month (at best) on fuel - on weekends I tend to drive longer distances with fewer stops.

PS. I appreciate it's an old thread and possibly no one will read my calculations :)

Reactions: Idler

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it better or worse than your previous car?
Getting my 508 1.6 gt line in 3 weeks, hope it's better than my Passat ?
Don't really know what it's like to drive.My car is nearly two years old now and has turned out to be a lemon.Steering has been the issue since day one.First two dealers looked at it numerous times and declared it fine (wheel alignments after each trip found the geometry out each time) Third dealer (who seems much better) found lock nuts on rear supension adjusters broken off. Who did it,don't know-could have been dealer,could have been wheel aligner.How do you prove such things? Trouble is parts delivery from France to Australia is 5 to 6 months.And i'm pretty sure it's got the weird intermittent notchy steering problem that some posters have noted. Dealer network in Australia used to be quite good.Not anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's the best riding car I have ever owned and one of the best cars that's ever driven by me despite 18" wheels . Even in Sport Mode the car goes over the bumps as if there's nothing there ;) . It glides over the road and rides much better than BMW G30 5 Series (that car came with 20" run flats but it was non M Sport package )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very good on fast roads and the handling is excellent. The low speed ride is poor mind you. It really crashes over poor surfaces. My choices at the time were a 508, new 3 series or a Volvo S60. The handling of the 508 won out but engine wise, it was not as good as the 320d.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts