Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better or worse than your previous car?
Getting my 508 1.6 gt line in 3 weeks, hope it's better than my Passat 馃

Registered
I had two 308s before so I'm used to the smaller steering wheel, in fact I quite like it. The touchscreen is similar as well so I knew what's where etc.
I haven't done much driving on country roads but so far it seems to handle quite well. It sits well on the road as you'd expect from a larger car.
There's a few reviews on Youtube, I watched the CarWow one and another that I think was in Poland but he gig it in english. Both mention the 'typical Peugeot' suspension noise when going over bumps but I can't notice it myself.
They aren't the quickest in terms of acceleration but as with the 308, I think Peugeot have the gearing more biased towards economy.

What is noticeable on the 508 is how over zealous the stop/start is. It's common for it to stop the engine at about 12mph when coming to a stop, not a problem because the power steering is electric. However, I like to lift off the brake a bit at the last minute to get a smooth stop, if you do that the engine starts up again so some stops can feel a bit abrupt. I've also had it stop when going over speed bumps and when turning a corner slowly, but it starts up that quickly that it's not a problem for me anyway.

What has taken me some time to get used to is the lane keeping assistance, particularly if you try changing lanes without indicating. It's a bit like driving Herbie, I'm trying to steer one way and the steering wheel is trying to go the other. There's a switch on the RH side of the dash near the drivers door to turn it off, but it resets itself every time you switch off.

If you haven't already done so, go here INFOTEC - Service Box Peugeot and click on the 508 image. You can then download the full handbook, the paper handbook supplied is a cut down version.

There is one downside and that's the frameless doors when it's frosty. Frost and ice along the window seal across the door stops the glass from dropping when opening the door. I've found sliding my thumb nail between the seal and the glass is enough to allow the door to open properly.

What is handy is that you can change gear with the paddles when in D, you don't have to put it in M. I use it when approaching speed cameras on a downward slope, I just flick it down a couple of cogs just to stop it running away.

I enjoy driving it and I'd definitely have another.

Registered
I went from my 407 Coupe to a 508 Fastback last week. The difference is astounding. I thought my 407 was comfortable and refined. It isn't a patch on the 508.

The lane assist, as Idler says, takes some getting used to. But is fantastic in low visibility situations.

I can't say I've noticed any over zealousness on my 508's start/stop. It's only ever stopped when I've come to a halt. And the function that inhibits is from doing so when it's very cold outside works.

With the higher spec version, you get active lane assist which basically lets the car drive itself. So when on a motorway, set the cruise control, set the distance it should follow vehicles in front and the car will do the rest. You just need to keep your hand resting on the wheel so the car doesn't get huffy with you. (It'll complain if it doesn鈥檛 feel a little bit of resistance when steering after a few minutes)

The boot is mahoosive and there is ample room in the back for passengers.

The ambient lighting and the flat screen dials add a touch of sophistication.

The overall design of the car has my Audi owning colleagues at work drooling over my car. They keep asking to get a sit in it!
One is considering jumping ship very soon.

Above all, it is very quiet in the cabin and the overall build quality is excellent with no scratchy plastics. Even the back door cards have soft touch plastic on them. The pillars are also fabric covered, not hard plastic. Again, lending to a high overall quality feel.

Oh, and the frameless doors all round REALLY work to add to the sophisticated feel.

Overall, I am perfectly happy in making the decision to go into financing for the first time for this car. It's worth every penny.

Registered
I echo the replies from Idler and Blue407. Thoroughly pleased with the car and the main gripes I have are two software issues - mono air con mode not working and slow responses from the steering wheel control for radio/media. Both minor issues and I think the latter has been resolved with a software update.

My previous car was the original 508 in 2.2HDi SW GT guise. It was a good car but this one is better in many ways, including being more refined, easier to manoeuvre (I like the small steering wheel), more nimble, more modern features and gorgeous to look at! I鈥檝e noticed a lot of people turn their heads or do a double take to look at it and colleagues have shown an interest.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! (y)

Registered
I echo the replies from Idler and Blue407. Thoroughly pleased with the car and the main gripes I have are two software issues - mono air con mode not working and slow responses from the steering wheel control for radio/media. Both minor issues and I think the latter has been resolved with a software update.

My previous car was the original 508 in 2.2HDi SW GT guise. It was a good car but this one is better in many ways, including being more refined, easier to manoeuvre (I like the small steering wheel), more nimble, more modern features and gorgeous to look at! I鈥檝e noticed a lot of people turn their heads or do a double take to look at it and colleagues have shown an interest.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! (y)
My wife didn鈥檛 like driving my previous 508 SW GT 6 speed auto. She thought it too big and hard work to drive. She loves driving the new 508. Small steering wheel like her 208, and very light power steering. She drives it with confidence.

Registered
My wife didn鈥檛 like driving my previous 508 SW GT 6 speed auto. She thought it too big and hard work to drive. She loves driving the new 508. Small steering wheel like her 208, and very light power steering. She drives it with confidence.
It does feel like a smaller car and is much lighter. My old 508 SW felt comparatively like it had the turning circle of a super tanker!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Seem to be a few loyal Peugeot buyers. ..think the last one I was in was a 205 gti in the late 80's.
I always get excited when it's time to get a new car, I picked this one on looks inside and out, hopefully the drive will add to the package!

Registered
Seem to be a few loyal Peugeot buyers. ..think the last one I was in was a 205 gti in the late 80's.
I always get excited when it's time to get a new car, I picked this one on looks inside and out, hopefully the drive will add to the package!
Yes, I have been a loyal pug owner since buying a used 406 2.0L petrol GLX in 1996 after having driven Ford Ecort and Vauxhall Cavalier company cars for many years and have been more than happy with pug ever since. I then wanted a bigger boot and went for 406 2.0L GLX estate, then changed to diesel 406 2.0L estate for better economy, then the executive version. I then went down to 307 SW with 7 seats, but missed the large boot so then went for the 407 SW, followed by 2 508 SW鈥檚 until the new 508 came out. My wife had a 308, then a 208 and now the new 208. I guess you can say we are hooked, but all have performed very well and never put a foot wrong. They may be a bit more expensive than their competitors, but after finding a very good dealership locally I am loathed to change.

Registered
Same for me, I鈥檝e had a 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi, a 307 XSi 2.0 HDi, a 308 2.0 GT HDi, the 508 SW GT 2.2 HDi and now the 508 GT First Edition 1.6T 225 Puretech. They鈥檝e never let me down, a few minor niggles along the way but I haven鈥檛 had one stop me getting from A to B and the niggles I鈥檝e had have been dealt with effectively by the dealership.

I鈥檝e always particularly liked the XSi/GT specs and the diesels were great so it鈥檚 a bit of a change for me to go back to petrol but I鈥檓 enjoying it.

It鈥檒l be interesting to hear how you get on with it coming from a Passat.

Registered
I had two 308s before so I'm used to the smaller steering wheel, in fact I quite like it. The touchscreen is similar as well so I knew what's where etc.
I haven't done much driving on country roads but so far it seems to handle quite well. It sits well on the road as you'd expect from a larger car.
There's a few reviews on Youtube, I watched the CarWow one and another that I think was in Poland but he gig it in english. Both mention the 'typical Peugeot' suspension noise when going over bumps but I can't notice it myself.
They aren't the quickest in terms of acceleration but as with the 308, I think Peugeot have the gearing more biased towards economy.

What is noticeable on the 508 is how over zealous the stop/start is. It's common for it to stop the engine at about 12mph when coming to a stop, not a problem because the power steering is electric. However, I like to lift off the brake a bit at the last minute to get a smooth stop, if you do that the engine starts up again so some stops can feel a bit abrupt. I've also had it stop when going over speed bumps and when turning a corner slowly, but it starts up that quickly that it's not a problem for me anyway.

What has taken me some time to get used to is the lane keeping assistance, particularly if you try changing lanes without indicating. It's a bit like driving Herbie, I'm trying to steer one way and the steering wheel is trying to go the other. There's a switch on the RH side of the dash near the drivers door to turn it off, but it resets itself every time you switch off.

If you haven't already done so, go here INFOTEC - Service Box Peugeot and click on the 508 image. You can then download the full handbook, the paper handbook supplied is a cut down version.

There is one downside and that's the frameless doors when it's frosty. Frost and ice along the window seal across the door stops the glass from dropping when opening the door. I've found sliding my thumb nail between the seal and the glass is enough to allow the door to open properly.

What is handy is that you can change gear with the paddles when in D, you don't have to put it in M. I use it when approaching speed cameras on a downward slope, I just flick it down a couple of cogs just to stop it running away.

I enjoy driving it and I'd definitely have another.
I didn鈥檛 know until very recently that the stop/start on the diesel 508 stops the engine as you slow down to 12mph, as you mentioned. On the petrol version it doesn鈥檛 stop the engine until you slow to 1mph. However I think that鈥檚 six of one, half a dozen of the other - with the petrol version I find that it can end up stopping for less than a second when I鈥檓 in slow moving traffic and it鈥檚 annoying so I鈥檝e got into the habit of disabling stop/start in that type of traffic.

Registered
The point at which it cuts out does vary @Twilight but it happens quite often to me. It seems to happen more when approaching traffic lights on red so I'm guessing that the camera picks up the red light.

Registered
That鈥檚 interesting @Idler and would make sense as I know they鈥檝e thought a lot about the implementation, like @Blue407 said about it not stopping when too cold. I鈥檝e also noticed the engine doesn鈥檛 stop when the wheels are turned, I presume on the basis that you鈥檙e most likely to be at a junction and preparing to move imminently.

Registered
The stop/start on the 308s that I had seemed to be affected more by the heater/air con settings than the 508, my 508 will also cut out in less than half a mile. I think there's a lot of battery monitoring/management going on as well, a cold start sapping the battery a bit probably means that it'll want to recover a bit more first.

I've got to say though that the Peugeot stop/start system is very good, I've never had my foot on the pedal waiting for it to fire up.

Registered
The stop/start on the 308s that I had seemed to be affected more by the heater/air con settings than the 508, my 508 will also cut out in less than half a mile. I think there's a lot of battery monitoring/management going on as well, a cold start sapping the battery a bit probably means that it'll want to recover a bit more first.

I've got to say though that the Peugeot stop/start system is very good, I've never had my foot on the pedal waiting for it to fire up.
I hate the stop/start system and was very pleased when my battery charge fell to below 76% which meant the stop/start would no longer be activated. I believe it has only been implemented to comply with emission regulations. I believe it will be bad long term for engine reliability. It requires a bigger (and more expensive) battery which will probably require replacing after 3 years. It needs different (and more expensive) starter motor and alternator. I think it bad for the big-end bearings as the oil bearing has a chance to drain making it lose the oil bearing when the foot is lifted off the brake pedal. I never had it stop on me before being stationary though as you guys report, but is very annoying when slowly nudging up to a parking bay when trying to get close to an obstacle and it keep cutting out as you temporary stop. At least on the new 508 there is a touch button on the dash to stop it cutting out instead of opening the flap below the steering column to press the button as on the previous 508. As yet I have not found a way of switching it off on my wife鈥檚 new 208, but during the last week it has stopped 鈥榮topping鈥 probably due to the battery charge depletion. I was shocked last year when I was on holiday in the US with my American friend and our hire car. It was a Chrysler with stop/start and he had not come across it before. He kept stalling it and I couldn鈥檛 understand why until I realised he was driving with left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator. As he was hitting the gas immediately the engine didn鈥檛 have time to start.

Registered
I remember reading that Citroen introduced stop/start on a small car around 2005, I think the Japs dabbled with it back in the 70s. It's been around a long time albeit in a limited capacity, it would be interesting to know how much difference it makes to the mpg.
I wouldn't like it with a manual 'box because it's all a bit of a faff but I can't ever see myself having a manual again.

Registered
I remember reading that Citroen introduced stop/start on a small car around 2005, I think the Japs dabbled with it back in the 70s. It's been around a long time albeit in a limited capacity, it would be interesting to know how much difference it makes to the mpg.
I wouldn't like it with a manual 'box because it's all a bit of a faff but I can't ever see myself having a manual again.
Yes,i may have given the wrong impression in my earlier reply. I鈥檓 not against stopping pollution and anything we can do to help is ok, but I think stop/start is bad for the mpg efficiency and unless the engine is stopped for more than a few minutes what pollution is saved is made up for by starting the car up again and bringing it to running efficiency again, let alone being bad to the long term reliability of the engine. I dont think we will see trucks using start/stop and they generate far more pollutants. With mostly short journeys now that I do being retired my 508 battery is more often not performing start/stop. After coming home from a longer trip of say 250 miles it resumes start/stop, but only for a few days. Now that my wife鈥檚 208 has been running around town for a couple of weeks it has also stopped so I am happy with that. In my opinion the manufacturers are only paying lip service to government leglistlation at the moment in attempting to aim for targets they set.

Registered
When I first got my car I let the stop/start just do its thing but now I鈥檝e started disabling it, especially if I know my journey will be relatively short. I also find it annoying when slowly entering a parking space and it kicks in, so I鈥檝e got into the habit of disabling it then and I鈥檓 very glad there is a button that allows me to do so, easily.

I agree that it鈥檚 probably not good for the engine to be stopped too frequently and heard that the engine needs to have stopped for at least a minute or two on a journey to make it worthwhile.

Registered
I've had that said to me as well @Twilight but my guess is that it's something of a myth. I would think that with the latest injection systems, mapping, individual coil packs etc that there is a genuine fuel saving. The engine fires instantly, every time. It's only my opinion but I would say that it saves fuel generally. There may be something in it if the engine shuts off for a second or two, but apart from I can't believe it doesn't save.

People used to say the same about florescent light tubes, it was supposedly cheaper to leave them on rather than turning them on and off. That was a myth.

Registered
A good point well made, Idler. You鈥檙e quite right that the manufacturers will have put a lot of thought into this and technology has advanced so much in recent years. The comment I heard about stop/start not being worthwhile if used for less than a couple of minutes wasn鈥檛 from any verified source.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts