Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 207 HDi Sport for my next car. The 206 petrol is being replaced!

I did check back in the forums, but it is easy to miss things on a phone screen. Would anyone be able to point out weak spots to check, please? I think I know the general things to look for, but anything particular to this model?

Mind you, I still haven't found a reliable way to detect rear axle play without axle stands!

TVMIA for any clues you can offer :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just check its had regular oil changes, have a look round the injectors for any carbon build up (leaking seal, easy fix though), take the intake off the turbo and check the impeller shaft for play. If its a 110 model consider the dpf if its on a highish milage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the car looks good, except for a gaping hole on the dash below the radio/CD unit.
I'd have to fill that with something.
Aircon is weak, but it works a bit so should respond to regassing.

I wouldn't know how to check the DPF. Never had one before. I always think of them as something that demands magic treatment fluid from time to time and mostly just works, until it doesn't :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm told the car can pass an MOT test without DPF and it should use slightly less fuel too. No clue about the details of such a mod, though.

I've shaken hands on the deal. Pick it up in a few days :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also look out for the washer pump leaking into the fusebox as this can end up being extremely expensive. DPF has to be programmed out and ECU remapped, there are members on here that can do that for you.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
12,145 Posts
Two which I see a lot are the rear light cluster fault (same as 407) and water ingress into wiring loom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll have to investigate further.

One thing: why does it need remapping if I find the DPF has been 'modified' internally to reduce back pressure?

Without knowing enough yet, I would expect a slight drop in turbo temperature and an improvement in power and MPG due to reduced pumping losses and the sensors would never detect a clogged DPF, because it is too free-flowing to clog :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
You don't necessarily need a remap, though you do need to get the dpf turned off in the ECU as the car will think it is still present and will continue to try to regenerate it and will still use eolys fluid. Generally people will go for a remap as you will still need to pay someone to turn it off. Remember this only apples of you are buying a 110 model. An egr blank is also something you could look to fitting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I see. I thought the ECU waited for the DPF to be partially blocked before it regenerated (and if it has been scooped out then it will never block).

Mine would probably not need regenerating much, if ever, as I drive 25 miles each way on empty A roads :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Related to my 'new' 207 HDi Sport. I am trying to find definitive info on oils, so I can avoid asking the usual questions in the forums.

It is hard. Can anyone suggest links to better info, please?

So far, I have found it needs oil to ACEA A3/B4 and C2. (It seems A relates to petrol engines, B to compression ignition and C to cats and DPFs). But Peugeot recommend PSA B71 2296, which is said everywhere I look to include A3/B4, but no mention of it including C2.

Nowhere I have seen explains what requirements B71 2296 adds to A3/B4.

Does A5/B5 oil also pass A3/B4? I mean is it a higher standard, lower or just different?

C1 is similar to C2, but it has a lower ash limit, or more simply it is 'better' than C2 (all other things being equal) as far as I can tell. C3 is a lower standard, which may reduce DPF life or at least increase the frequency of regeneration.

Opie Oils have a useful website, but it recommends Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30 fornexample, which claims PSA B71 2290 and 2297, but not 2296.

Is 2296 a higher standard than 2290, lower, or just different so we should only use 2296?

My gut feeling is the ESP, or the Pro-tech oil to B71 2297 would be fine, especially as I change oil and filter at half intervals, but I would love to have the definitive answers.

Manufacturers appear to be creating a mess of standards and obscuring the realities!

Sorry. End of rant.

Comments, please? :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Full synthetic 5w30 c2, needs to be c2 as low ash content and helps to prevent the blockage from carbon build up in the turbo oil feed this is further helped to be prevented by oil changes at 6k instead of 12. Sorry cant help re the 2290/2297 query tho!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Oh I see. I thought the ECU waited for the DPF to be partially blocked before it regenerated (and if it has been scooped out then it will never block).

Mine would probably not need regenerating much, if ever, as I drive 25 miles each way on empty A roads :)
It usually needs to be remapped to remove the DPF code from the ECU as there are two differential pressure sensors and the ECU needs to see a pressure difference between the two with the DPF code in place. If the DPF has been gutted (removed) then both sensors will return the same pressure and the ECU will flag a fault - possibly lighting up the EML. It is the pressure sensors that tell the system a regeneration is required if the difference is too high.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just found a .PDF with more detail. Here is a clip:-

Peugeot-Norm Application area
A3/B4 Gasoline and Diesel engines without DPF/FAP before 2009.
C2 Diesel engines with DPF/FAP before 2009.
PSA B71 2290 LowSAPS engine oil for service use aligned to ACEA C2. SAE 5W-30.
PSA B71 2294 HighSAPS engine oil for service use (PSA level 2) aligned to ACEA A3/B3. SAE xW-40/50.
PSA B71 2296 HighSAPS engine oil for service use (PSA level 3) aligned to ACEA A3/B4 or A5/B5 performance.
SAE xW-30/40.
PSA B71 2297 LowSAPS engine oil for service use aligned to ACEA C3. SAE xW-30/40.
PSA B71 2300 HighSAPS engine oil for service use (PSA

That seems to say that 2297 is low SAPS while only conforming to C3, while 2290 is also low SAPS while conforming to the better C2 spec. 2296 (recommended) is high SAPS, so a weaker standard than 2290.

That means I have already bought oil that meets (or exceeds) all the A3/B4 C2 and B71 2296 specs without knowing it, because mine says '2290' on the bottle.

They don't like making it easy, do they!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts