Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks
daughters just come home say car flashed up " Battery fault or electrical charging fault"
the dash not showing any fault lights now,
but the Battery volts are 11.8
and output from the alternator is 11.8 volts

are there any tests to do or checks to do on the alternator ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
guess you did check alternator voltage with engine running? if so would appear that the alternator is your problem, check that the AUX belt is still on as well.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If the battery volts are 11.8 with the engine stopped, and the alternator volts are the same with the engine running, the alternator is defective. Just about the only thing you can do to it is to remove it and examine the brushes. If they are ok, it is probably a problem with the voltage regulator, which will have to be replaced.

The easiest way to do that is to trade it in for a reconditioned alternator, if you can find such.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks
thought that it was alternator goosed, right pain as half way though a job on mrs car

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Before you jump in to swap alternator check a few things first is the small wire still on and secure as this is what energises the alternator.

Is the battery light on the dash working IE is it on BEFORE starting then going out if not check fuses first.

It probably is the alternator but it could be a simple fix

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 wire on the alternator
large bolted one (that the live out ?)
smaller one with push on clip

both look ok

ign light comes on before I start the car, then off when running

as I said volts at both battery and alternator output cable 11.8 volts

so I suspect its voltage regulator in the alternator that's gone,

checking local car spares for price of new/recon alternator

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new alternator fitted works a treat now

pain taking off & putting on

unbolted the air con had it hanging in the air, took of exhaust fire shield off (bit of a wiggle getting in an out) make access to alternator easier
think if you have the flexible racket spanners that could make it easier to sort out the bolts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts