Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Peugeot 308 1.6 90hp but it's a rather different model I guess. My many friends told me that it has no particle filter since it is 90 hp but it does have. Similarly, they told me that it has no intercooler but it does have intercooler. Now I need to change the engine oil, I have checked some websites and they recommend 5W-30 and 5W-40. It's DV6TED4 engine. Could you please tell me which oil you use?
Another question is, does sump plug requires square head key which I used in my 307 or do I need to have another special tool for this job?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 21mm spanner.

This happens using the wrong oil:
That look real bad.
I will go for Castrol 5W-30. I don't know Magnatec or Edge.

Oil change procedure is the same as the one in petrol engines right?

Here is the list that I am going to change next weekend.
1. Oil
2. Oil filter
3. Air filter
4. Diesel fuel filter

What else do you think necessary to change? The car has 42000 km. on.

D

·
0 Posts
Pollen filter and brake fluid. Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two yrs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Something like this works well.
Eezibleed Brake Bleeding Kit | Screwfix.com

Brake fluid changing is imperitive. you'll notice the difference afterwards.
It seems a bit of a time requiring job but something that I can do myself. So I will definitely do it. I have looked at some videos and there they say that the bleeding order depends on the vehicle. Can you tell me what order should I follow?

I am now checking the brake fluid that I need to buy. I have found that I need Dot 4 but I see that they also recommend Dot4 plus. What is the difference between them and which one should I use? Normally I see it in servicebox for my 307 but I couldn't find it for 308.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oil

Hi Pug, I changed oil and filters a couple of months ago. Same engine as yours and I used Magnatec 5W30. When I started engine after change it developed a bit of a rattle when cold, it has quietened down a bit now. I don't know if was coincidental or maybe the viscosity differs slightly between manufacturers. I don't know, but I am considering Total Quartz ineo first 0w30. See my thread.

D

·
0 Posts
It seems a bit of a time requiring job but something that I can do myself. So I will definitely do it. I have looked at some videos and there they say that the bleeding order depends on the vehicle. Can you tell me what order should I follow?

I am now checking the brake fluid that I need to buy. I have found that I need Dot 4 but I see that they also recommend Dot4 plus. What is the difference between them and which one should I use? Normally I see it in servicebox for my 307 but I couldn't find it for 308.
All Peugeots take dot 4.

http://total-gbr.lubricantadvisor.com/CustomerData/productsheets/HBF 4 - 06.2011.pdf

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Pug, I changed oil and filters a couple of months ago. Same engine as yours and I used Magnatec 5W30. When I started engine after change it developed a bit of a rattle when cold, it has quietened down a bit now. I don't know if was coincidental or maybe the viscosity differs slightly between manufacturers. I don't know, but I am considering Total Quartz ineo first 0w30. See my thread.
That's strange :confused: I don't think that there is a distinguishable difference between Castrol and Total.

·
Registered
108 Posts
oil

Like I said I don't know, just clutching at straws really, just seems strange engine rattle started after oil and filter change.

·
6,567 Posts
What brand filter is fitted, good quality filters have anti drain back valve to stop oil draining back into sump. Rattle could be filter needs to refill before oil pressure builds up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
oil

Hi Windy, oil filter is O.E. which I have changed for another one. There was still a fair amount of oil in the cannister as I found when I unscrewed it. The filter valve seats in the bottom of housing at about 7 o'clock as I look down from side of passengers wing. The rattle lasts for about ten minutes after start up then goes quiet, mabe it needs a thinner oil, I don't really know and the labouring sound also goes when above 1800 revs.

·
6,567 Posts
Whats the mileage and service history and what condition was the old oil in. If its missed a service or two or been badly maintained its possible oil strainer is getting blocked and reducing flow when oil is cold.

May be worth the risk of a can of forte flush or similar to see if it cleans up, but check turbo feed pipe filter after flush

·
Registered
108 Posts
oil

Thanks again mate, will try a flush next month. Bought car three months ago with full service history mostly done by Halfords. Time between services is 12,500 miles which is the rcommended intervals but when you take into account that the 308 only has a 3.75 litre sump I think the interval between servicing should be about half what it is.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks again mate, will try a flush next month. Bought car three months ago with full service history mostly done by Halfords. Time between services is 12,500 miles which is the rcommended intervals but when you take into account that the 308 only has a 3.75 litre sump I think the interval between servicing should be about half what it is.
Thats a good idea. 6k at least.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something like this works well.
Eezibleed Brake Bleeding Kit | Screwfix.com

Brake fluid changing is imperitive. you'll notice the difference afterwards.

Hi david,

I was about to buy this tool but cancelled it because I have some doubts to clear out first. With this tool, I am going to put pressure from the brake fluid reservoir. I saw some other tools that the tool sucks the fluid from the bleeder of each wheel. In my poor opinion, this method would be better since I can see the air bubbles coming out if there is and I can easily see the change in the fluid color (between old fluid and fresh fluid) and once I see the line, I can stop bleeding further. Do you agree with me?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts