Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on what type of fuel to use in an EW10A powered 307? The manual says 95 but having used it for a while now I don't notice any difference between 91 and 95 - no change in economy or anything.

I wondering about just going back to 91 to save some money. My wife does about 700kms a week so the fuel price difference adds up fast. The car is a beater and we'll either run it into the ground or flog it to put toward a Nissan Leaf EV so I'm too concerned about re-sale value but if there are any good mechanical reasons to not use 91 in it I'd like to know what they are.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the manual says 95 min though (but check!) that's for a reason - the engine is set up not to destroy itself on 95 even in the worst conditions - coolant very hot, ambient air very hot, dry air, long time at high power e.g. uphill.

But maybe your old 307 has lost enough compression and/or you have not seen the worst conditions above to damage the engine so you can risk it...but accept it is a risk.

I've driven in NZ in a Volvo XC90 I used 91 like you as its cheap - but that car can run 91 and above, I could hear it detonating however on XC90 it is controlled by the knock sensors - that cars calibration allows it to control the 91 fuel (even though you can hear some detonation).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lets look at a few details. the 307 should run on 95, you want to save money with 91. ok... lets point out a few facts.
the americans use fuel as low as 87 octane and it doesn´t damage their cars. Thats due to the engine ECU or BSI adjusting the ignition timing accordingly to the fuel used. The car is programmed to avoid Pinking by advancing the ignition. Using 97 Octane would be the reverse, retarding the timing. you can use 91 without problems. it will just means that you will lose round 1-2% performance (slower acceleration). Can you really save that much money by buying 91 in the UK????... I live in germany & it`s not worth the effort.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
The octane rating wont make any real noticable difference the ecu will retard ignition if pinking occurs and power would drop off slightly just like the 98 super unleaded debate it makes no real improvement in performance and improving your driving to avoid braking will give better overal improvements than any change in fuel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts