Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 1.6 HDI (90bhp) smokes quite a lot on a cold start up. I have just had the glow plugs replaced (£165 is that a lot?), two of the plugs didn't work, but this hasn't stopped the smoking. What would be my next step?
Cheers,
Dibsy.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi All,

My 1.6 HDI (90bhp) smokes quite a lot on a cold start up. I have just had the glow plugs replaced (£165 is that a lot?), two of the plugs didn't work, but this hasn't stopped the smoking. What would be my next step?
Cheers,
Dibsy.
Maybe it's me, but I'd call that a lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
165£ is not a lot. The plugs cost 15£ (or more) each and there is a lot of plastic breakable things to move to even get to them. Then there is the risk of a stuck/broken plug. Seems like a good price.

The smoking could be a lot of things.
In general:
Black smoke=soot, poor combustion, start with air filter and clean intake so it get more air
Blue smoke=oil burning, valve guides if its just in the start otherwise rings or turbo, start with an oil change to get rid of diesel diluted oil.
White smoke=steam from fuel or water, most often normal if its cold, either from an worn engine or just the normal water coming from combustion. Check coolant to be sure.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Glow plugs do not affect the smoke from the engine

Relay will not help either

Only fuel mixture or oil getting into the intake/combustion chamber will make smoke depends what colour the smoke is as to what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Could be a leaking injector couldn't it?

Would start by doing a injector leak off test to see if there is one of them giving different returnflow than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts