Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me what the knocking from the front of my 206 could be?

It sounds like a couple of heavy bolts rattling around in a cardboard box....sorry about the description but I can't think of any other way to describe it.

It only happens on uneven or bumpy road...smoth roads like motorways and newly surfaced roads is very quiet.

I have checked the bearing on both wheels and they are solid. Giving each corner a heavy push reveals that the suspension is also solid with no noise....infact very little movement even with my best effort.

My local garage wants to charge me £40 just to have a look....last time I took a car to him he quoted £450 when I left it with him and it was doubled by the time I got it back...My wife also took her car there for some pre MOT work and an MOT. He did the work that HE said was needed, and then failed the MOT because the washer bottle was empty and charged us for a second MOT AND for filling the washer bottle....so I hope you can understand my reluctance to leave it with him.

If anyone can sugest what I could look for I would be eternally grateful.

Paul

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hopefully it is as simple as the air filter housing coming loose,happens a lot on the 206,oh and find another mechanic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi moose....thanks for your suggestion. I have already decided that anything that I can't fix myself will be going to a different mechanic.

I have checked the air filter housing and all around but nothing is loose.....It does sound like it is comming from lower down than that though. And, despite my previous post regarding checking the wheel bearings, from the wheel area. Should I be looking at track rod ends or drive shaft play?? If so what am I looking for?? Thanks for your help.

:) Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome to my world of 307hdi mysterious rattle from below mine is going to Peugeot on Monday for a Head office technician inspection by Peugeot Australia to resolve the noise, once I find out exactly what it is, mind you it has taken 12 months, I will post the results and tell all what the heck was the issue in the first place!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wheel bearings tend to be more of a grinding noise. Also you said it was worse on bumpy roads so that would tend to lean towards suspension/shocks,anti roll bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts