Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ullo, I'm thinking of buying a 308. A red or black 1.2 petrol. My shortlist was a choice between a Focus (don't like the interiors that much), Golf (the most boring looking car on the road) or an A3 (probably outside my range for the current shape one). What do you all think of yours and does the no-button stereo become a pain in the bum? and the limited leg room in the back? and does the 1.2 petrol have enough oomph?

cheers:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my 2.0 BlueHDi Auto SW for just over a month and am very pleased with it to live with. It's the GT Line and has every feature i'd ever need and more that i've not touched. Can't comment on the 1.2 petrol engine however my wife has a Focus ST3 and the 308 feels far roomier. All controls through the touchscreen takes a little getting used to but unless you like to adjust everything on the move its no bother. Not been in the back but its usually inhabited by a person with limited legs so no problem there either ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's worth noting that the SW (estate) version has a lengthened wheelbase and the extra length adds to the legroom in the rear.

Last year my wife and I drove several thousand miles with our youngest daughter and her boyfriend seated in the back. There were a few grumbles but - hey - they're young and can cope. It can't have been too bad as we've been asked if we can take them on holiday again this year!

Petrol engine I can't comment on but I'm really impressed with the 120bhp e-HDi engine. It's a very strong engine and pulls really well from low revs. it feels like a much bigger engine.

I'm with SteveJames on the touchscreen. It would be nice to have a few of the functions lifted off into dedicated controls but it's something you get used to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 1.2 130bhp petrol and am very happy with it - great acceleration and pulls very well on the motorway while still delivering 48-52mpg on long runs.
As for the stereo, see above response. Yes, it's a bit different but you soon get used to it.
Rear legroom, well it all depends on how far back the front seats are... I'm 1.74m (5ft 9 ish) and with my driving seat set up for me I have no problems with legroom sitting in the back behind the driver's seat and I have the hatchback.
No problems in recommending a 308.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was deciding on what to get I narrowed down to between a 308 1.2THP 130PS and a Seat Leon 1.4TSI 150PS and honestly the 308's 3 cylinder engine gave the Leon's 4 cylinder engine a run for it's money, it had bags of character and was very responsive, more responsive than the Leon's 1.4TSI. In fact the 308's 1.2 had noticeably less turbo lag and was very flexible, you wouldn't have noticed that the 1.2 was 20hp and 20nm down on the 1.4.

In the end I went for the Leon as I couldn't get a 308 in magnetic blue, also I wasn't a fan of the gearbox in the 308, it just felt very clunky and vague but I could've overlooked that for the right colour and with the 1.2 engine, absolute gem of an engine and the small steering wheel adds to the fun too.

As for rear legroom, my dad has a 1.6BlueHDi model and he's probably around 5ft 5in, rather short while I'm 5ft 9in and I fit behind him fine with a good amount of legroom.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have to say I've had my 308 just 3 years now and I've never tired of driving, cleaning, waxing it.

Normally I would have been looking at what's out there 6 months ago but this car seems to press all the buttons.

Comfortable and spacious; nice engine with surprising power when you need it; quiet with very little road noise; touch screen is good and doesn't take long to learn it's layout; instruments are clear; brilliant LED headlights; electronic handbrake works really well; spacious boot....etc...etc...

Would I buy a new one...?....I think I would...:thumb:

PS:....oh; and did I mention how good the EAT6 automatic gearbox is...:thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Peugeot 308 allure. Great looking car lots of kit. Looks great inside. Seats are comfortable although I find the seat squab a little long as it brushes the back of my leg. Rear room is a little cramped however I'm about 5ft 8/9 and my 6ft 3 dad can sit behind me so cannot be too bad. No issues so far but only had it 6 months.

·
Registered
888 Posts
1.6 BlueHDi SW 02.2016. 72kkm and average 5,2 l/100km.
Ocasionaly a litle windows ratling especialy when cold. No complaints about stereo/touchscreen, except maybe time of reaction. Once set and forget :)
My screen is allways on audio.
Ocasionaly additional adjustment is temp - tap on temp on top of the screen, tap + or - and leave it to go back again.
Everything else I control by knobs and buttons on the wheel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm just gonna jump in on that touchscreen bit... Yes, it's a bit too much. Just now, driving to work from home, listening to radio, and the wife says it's too hot already and to turn on the A/C, which was off at the moment. So...

1. touch to go to climate control
2. touch to flip A/C on
3. touch to go back to radio

That's three touches whereas on any other ("normal") car that'd be a single click of a dedicated button.
I'm all for having less buttons, a cleaner cockpit, but too much is too much. Peugeot obviously thinks the same since in newer models (3008, 5008 etc) you can see there are those "piano keys" as they call them, with several most used functions.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm just gonna jump in on that touchscreen bit... Yes, it's a bit too much. Just now, driving to work from home, listening to radio, and the wife says it's too hot already and to turn on the A/C, which was off at the moment. So...

1. touch to go to climate control
2. touch to flip A/C on
3. touch to go back to radio

That's three touches whereas on any other ("normal") car that'd be a single click of a dedicated button.
I'm all for having less buttons, a cleaner cockpit, but too much is too much. Peugeot obviously thinks the same since in newer models (3008, 5008 etc) you can see there are those "piano keys" as they call them, with several most used functions.
Why don't you leave it in Auto? At least these few months ....

·
Registered
978 Posts
, my dad has a 1.6BlueHDi model and he's probably around 5ft 5in, rather short while I'm 5ft 9in and I fit behind him fine with a good amount of legroom.
Rear room is a little cramped however I'm about 5ft 8/9 and my 6ft 3 dad can sit behind me so cannot be too bad.
Rear legroom, well it all depends on how far back the front seats are... I'm 1.74m (5ft 9 ish) and with my driving seat set up for me I have no problems with legroom sitting in the back behind the driver's seat.
None of you state whether this is the saloon or estate (SW) you're talking about. If you're all saying that you've no problem with the saloon then that's very interesting. If you're all talking about the estate then it's not unexpected.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
2016 Allure hatchback 1.2 Puretech 130 bhp with manual box.

I really like the i-cockpit, great concept & a real joy to use.

I'm still shocked how the 1.2 engine can provide so much performance & deliver such good mpg at the same time.

The touchscreen - only had the car two weeks but im already pretty much used to it, again its a different concept - some people will love it & other people will hate it.

Rear legroom - no idea i don't sit in the back.

Mine has the panoramic glass roof, lets loads of sunlight in when you retract the blind, its well worth thinking about if ordering a brand new 308.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Almost 3 year old 308SW 1.6 diesel Blue
Very happy with the purchase only problem is the ECO function does not work some will like that I guess. I think a new battery would fix that but dealer refuses to change under warranty as everything else works.
It as to do a couple of hours continuous driving to fully charge battery then ECO works until engine next started.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Almost 3 year old 308SW 1.6 diesel Blue
Very happy with the purchase only problem is the ECO function does not work some will like that I guess. I think a new battery would fix that but dealer refuses to change under warranty as everything else works.
It as to do a couple of hours continuous driving to fully charge battery then ECO works until engine next started.
take it back to the dealers and INSIST. If it's supposed to work and it doesn't then they can't refuse.

Our 308 stopped S&S-ing and all sorts of bits were checked. There are so many parameters that have to be right for it to kick in that it could be very expensive. A new battery was fitted under warranty and I had to pay for a new air intake flap assembly (damaged in an accident) but in the end it worked again.

It's still a bit reluctant at times - I would dearly love to know which ECU is saying "No" when that happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see what you mean. Being constantly irritable because of the touch screen is what's putting me off. And I can't decide on the looks. I've see pictures where they look really good and some where they look a bit stupid.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I see what you mean. Being constantly irritable because of the touch screen is what's putting me off. And I can't decide on the looks. I've see pictures where they look really good and some where they look a bit stupid.
Sounds like you have already made your mind up & would regret owning one, cross the 308 & other PSA products of your list then go look elsewhere for your next car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It just goes to show how we all have different views / needs. I honestly can't remember when I last touched the temperature controls. It's set to 20 come sun or snow. I do think the touch screen takes a bit of getting used to, and perhaps it is not that intuitive, but it works really well for me. Plus, the steering wheel controls help.

I think the back seat room is less than some of its competitors, but the boots bigger. For me that's fine as my son is only little, but if I regularly had adults in the back then it may be a squeeze.

Can't comment on the 1.2 engine, but I do think it is a great car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Engine is better than anything other... I love the car but it has some problems that sometimes drives me crazy... bottom line its not perfect and unfortunately its closer to rubbish.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts