Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a 2002 peugeot 307 1.4 hdi style. Headlights are plastic but are they polycarbonate or acrylic

Anybody know....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not exactly, I want to clean them as theres some stuff on them that just will not shift. Ive washed them, Ive machined polished them, Ive used tar remover and it will not shift.

Theres a guy on a detailing forum that may be able to help but he heeds to know which type of plastic it is.

Zoom in on the pic and you will see the texture of the marks, any ideas,

Attachments

G

·
To me, that looks like its either inside the light

Or something has pressed up against it and put stress marks within the plastic

I'm putting money on diagnosis 1 though!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I rub over it I can feel it so would that not mean its on the surface.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would say poly as its designed to be flexible in an accident and best way to remove the scuffs if they are on the out side is to use very fine wet and dry with plenty of water and soap to remove the scuffs then a very light grade of rubbing compound to make it like new,

an electrical buffer is the best as it will take time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i tried 3m fast cut pad on a meguiars 7 inch cutting on a meguiars g220 polisher. I would have used a spot pad but they havent arrived yet.

Will wet n dry sandpaper be more effective do you think.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ive used wet&dry on a windscreen with good results its just the polishing that's the hardest bit I think I last 1/2 a stone:)

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Like to hear the outcome of this , as mine are somewhat similiar without the streaks , i just put it down to that "they were a long time new".

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if they are polycarbonate, the guy cannot help me. His kit is for acrylic. Have a few ideas myself, will post back with results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ever heard of micromesh? It is a bit like wet and dry but very finely grained. It is used in the aircraft industry for polishing out scratches in acrylic windscreens and plastic surfaces, and will leave a finish far better than wet and dry, but you need to use a plastic polish with it rather than water.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you send me a link to buy it. Would plastX be a good polish to use with it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this the stuff here, will plastX be good with it,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICRO-MESH-MI...27aac415ad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1182

Another guy suggested this,

http://www.glasspolishshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=80&osCsid=3ab45e8a7b8e389e82e94c4bcb1713bc

http://www.glasspolishshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=164&osCsid=3ab45e8a7b8e389e82e94c4bcb1713bc

Any advice.

Also tried toothpaste and baking soda as a home method but that was useless.

Hopefully will be receiving my sonus 4" pads and backing plate, that might make a difference.

With the meguiars cutting pad and 3m fast cut plus, it was doing nothing.

So theres no point of even using wet n dry, just go with the micromesh you say.

G

·
Having polished a fair few headlamps with both a PC DA and also a Makita rotary, I would say there is no hard and fast rule as to what works.

Its a bit like paint really - you get so many variations, so no pad & product combination does all.

Like you do on paint, start with the least agressive and work your way up...

Megs Plastix is good, although a "consumer" product - I have used it several times on BMW lamps.

Obviously you wont remove deep stone chips easily, but you can at least restore a great shine.

Your pictures do look like they have had something inside... condensation is common and leaves a cloudy look. You can sometimes clean the inside of the lense by going in through the bulb holders with a long sick and small rag.

Its worth a try really, and new lamps are cheap if you really b*lls up!

D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I seen that trick with the wire and microfibre. Im going to try that out but as I can feel the marks when I rub my hand over them then it can be on the inside.

Also on the sides where the marks are not there the headlight are so clean and clear I can see inside, few spiders and a daddy long legs but relatively clean.

Will have to try that hook and microfibre.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should check out Headlight Restoration Service, located in Birmingham Alabama. I have used them, and my headlights are now like new. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
daffyduck said:
When I rub over it I can feel it so would that not mean its on the surface.
Has the car had a paint job at any time?This looks like paint thinners has reacted with the plastic.Mine looked like this after a visit to a bodyshop.They put this down to a reaction to 2 pack thinners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.