Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 407 is coming home today after some surgery.
Clutch had gone apparently but after dismantling it turned out to be the flywheel causing the bother. My mechanic showed me the old one. Some of the spring things inside it had literally smashed in pieces, all this without any real warning. Anyway, I bought a whole conversion kit including a new clutch to change to a solid flywheel which apparently is a better job. Is this a common fault and can I expect to notice any driving difference with the solid flywheel ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 407 is coming home today after some surgery.
Clutch had gone apparently but after dismantling it turned out to be the flywheel causing the bother. My mechanic showed me the old one. Some of the spring things inside it had literally smashed in pieces, all this without any real warning. Anyway, I bought a whole conversion kit including a new clutch to change to a solid flywheel which apparently is a better job. Is this a common fault and can I expect to notice any driving difference with the solid flywheel ?
I had the dual flywheel changed to to solid becuase its so common fault. Only diffrence is that its allot faster in changing gears and seems like more torque.

But you will def see a change in the clutch, it makes it allot harder and stiff to push down.

·
5,071 Posts
Lots of Debate on various forums about the solid conversion,PeugeotD is the only one i can think of that hasnt slated it. good luck with yours, i personally dont think the dmf is a 'common' fault, yes they do go but normally around the 100k mark, hardly unreliable.

·
3,001 Posts
total agree with above posts...my old fleet of transits depended on the vehicle use....the ones constantly used for small multi drop..lasted about 30k as the ones on long distance never had a problem..sold at 100k....moral of dmf=heavy use ..quick wear

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Solid flywheels are fine but harsher gearchanges and can cause more wear in the gearbox

Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb some of the torque when changing gear to make the gearchanges smoother and to protect the gearbox the debate has been done to death and both have pros and cons

Personally i prefer a dual mass but if i done a lot of towing i would probably use a solid flywheel its really down to driving style and use more than reliability

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went for the solid flywheel primarily because the car was on the ramp before the mechanic could know for sure what the cause was. I couldn't get a DMF at very short notice so he said the solid one would be fine. Plus it was much cheaper too, £275 at ECP for the full conversion kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back this afternoon. All seems well. If anything the clutch is lighter than before but perhaps that's because the DMF was on it's way out for a while before it blew and wasn't performing as it should.
Gear oil was changed too and the gear lever also feels very light and smooth. Only thing I noticed is that there is a very slight judder when first moving off in first gear and when using reverse. It lasts for just a second, perhaps it's my clutch control that's causing it. Overall I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Got the car back this afternoon. All seems well. If anything the clutch is lighter than before but perhaps that's because the DMF was on it's way out for a while before it blew and wasn't performing as it should.
Gear oil was changed too and the gear lever also feels very light and smooth. Only thing I noticed is that there is a very slight judder when first moving off in first gear and when using reverse. It lasts for just a second, perhaps it's my clutch control that's causing it. Overall I'm happy with it.
yes you get that, once you master the new flywheel you wont notice it much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes you get that, once you master the new flywheel you wont notice it much.
Thanks PeugeotD.
My mechanic only charged £110 for doing the job so I can't complain (I buy the parts). He's a real old fashioned type mechanic who has spent a lifetime building and racing stock cars. Definitely old skool and highly effective. The downside of his pricing is that he works at his own pace, not mine, hence the reason it has taken 2 weeks to get done!! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
yes....mine took me about 6 days on my own....first time i'd done it ...wasn't in any particular rush so i did the flywheel oil seal + diff seals and input shaft oil seal too ,belt n braces approach i have...all easy enough ,but a lotta junk in the way lol,whole was front off....scary !:D
neil

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks PeugeotD.
My mechanic only charged £110 for doing the job so I can't complain (I buy the parts). He's a real old fashioned type mechanic who has spent a lifetime building and racing stock cars. Definitely old skool and highly effective. The downside of his pricing is that he works at his own pace, not mine, hence the reason it has taken 2 weeks to get done!! :)
dont worry, Ive been fixing my busted rockers extra extra for two months! lol to my defence it was cold outside and we have a spare car. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just posted about my woes trying to find someone to fit my conversion, no one wants to know in Mansfield (Nott's) just posted a request on the forum for any local mechanics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts