Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first ever post.

I bought a 308 Gti 270PS a few weeks ago, my first ever Peugeot.

Last saturday was my first experience of a fast road( the A1) with some moderate amounts of standing water. I was suprised to find the car did not react well to the water despite slowing down to under 50mph it needed plenty of corrective work on the steering wheel, it was much more difficult to drive in these conditions than other makes I have had in the past.

My passenger guessed this was down to being in a lightweight car with wide tyres.

Would appreciatte some feedback please.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
If you think the 308 is a lightweight then god knows what you normally drive :)

All cars react differently in puddles etc i had someone in a focus spin in front of me on motorway the other day my car was fine through the same water.

·
4,024 Posts
Hi...I would have a look at the make/condition of the tyres as ist their job to clear the water.....not the make of car

·
9,195 Posts
What tyres are fitted to the car some budget tyres have poor wet weather grip/handling

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tyres are Michelin Supersport with 9500 miles of use, plenty of tread on them. Thanks for your comments but I do not think it is a tyre issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello all, first ever post.

I bought a 308 Gti 270PS a few weeks ago, my first ever Peugeot.

Last saturday was my first experience of a fast road( the A1) with some moderate amounts of standing water. I was suprised to find the car did not react well to the water despite slowing down to under 50mph it needed plenty of corrective work on the steering wheel, it was much more difficult to drive in these conditions than other makes I have had in the past.

My passenger guessed this was down to being in a lightweight car with wide tyres.

Would appreciatte some feedback please.
Sorry for the late reply....

I also have a 308 GTi and have exactly the same issue, the car's traction in the dry and wet is outstanding, but if you drive quickly over any standing water it aquaplanes more than any other car I have had. I also put this down to the width of the tyres for the weight of the car. Which to me makes sense, the car's weight is spread over a larger contact area, which is great generally, but hitting standing water at speed, it will be easier for the front tyres to lose contact with the road.

Just be careful with the corrective work on the steering, best thing is just to lift of the accelerator and avoid the brakes until you have traction again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an RCZ R, i find it very good in the wet (though she runs Goodyears and not Michelins), your tyres may well be the issue but as ive not driven the 250/270 (though its a similar mechanical setup), it should still be good in poorer conditions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an RCZ R, i find it very good in the wet (though she runs Goodyears and not Michelins), your tyres may well be the issue but as ive not driven the 250/270 (though its a similar mechanical setup), it should still be good in poorer conditions.

My tyres are currently on their last legs, but I have always found this with the car. Its not an issue, grip in the wet is generally really good, but the drainage on my nearest dual carriageway is poor leaving large puddles of standing water in heavy rain. The car is more prone to aquaplaning when driving over this standing water at high speed than other cars I have had.

I've put this down to two points:

1. The tyres are fairly wide for the weight of the car so there is less weight on the contact area; plus
2. Reviews do say that Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres have "Poor resistance to aquaplaning"

Two fairly simple fixes:

1. Slow down when there is standing water!
2. Gently back off the accelerator if it aquaplanes, nose of the car drops, grip returns

·
Registered
32 Posts
Noticed this with my wife's 308 GTI also. It's not the best in the wet.

I thought it might be the pilot super sports and the light weight as said above. I have an Elise which basically has no weight over the front and is terrible in the wet.

Reliable406 - the 308 GTI is nearly 200kg lighter than all of its competitors!

·
Registered
188 Posts
And yet the RCZR is only 75kg heavier but handles like a dream in the wet. Anyone tried the MPSS4's? Or is that what the 308 GTI comes with?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok, having a look, it seems the Michelin PS4S are what you are after replacing your tyres with as they have improved wet handling :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, having a look, it seems the Michelin PS4S are what you are after replacing your tyres with as they have improved wet handling :)
Thats the plan - my fronts are on their last legs...

to keep this thread in perspective, the car handles really well in the wet, probably the best I have ever owned, but, it is not a fan of standing water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts