Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

Firstly, may I apologise that this query relates to a Ford S-Max. I know, I know... but it wasn’t my choice etc etc...

It does at least have a PSA engine (2.2 TDCI, as Ford call it), confirmed by Grumpyoldgit and reliable406 in my first post, so some redeeming features :)

Anyway, does anyone on here have any experience of poor performance / lack of boost in 6th gear only?

The car pull hard and boosts well in all other gears, to about 24psi according to my Torque Pro app on my phone. Then when I go into 6th (it’s a manual, btw), it flashes up to about that level then immediately goes back to base boost of around 14-15psi. It will climb slowly, ever so slowly, up to abou 17psi but by then it’s had time to gather a bit of speed anyway. One other thing: the cruise control won’t set in 6th but works fine in other gears. Cruise is important to me as I have an Achilles’ tendon problem so it helps for long journeys.

For context, I’m not expecting rocket-ship acceleration up hills in 6th. I know it’s a tall gear, but in 32 years of driving I’ve drive a wide range of cars and know what 200BHP and ~300Nm should feel like.

Any thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does the car have gear position on the dash ?

Has it car got standard wheels , are the tyres about he same tread front and back ?

Does the car have traction control ....can you switch it off and try it on the road again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the car have gear position on the dash ?

Has it car got standard wheels , are the tyres about he same tread front and back ?

Does the car have traction control ....can you switch it off and try it on the road again
Hi mechcanico
Thanks for your reply.
It has a "change up" light on the dash which works fine and tells me to shift to 6th when it thinks it can pull it.
Yes, standard wheels and good, evenly worn tyres all round.
It doesn't have traction control but does have ESP which is of course switchable. Do you think it could be related to that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Esp is traction control , yes try it with traction disabled see how it goes , if no better try it with the abs fuse pulled out , if you lose the speedo doing this try unplugging one of the rear abs sensors .

I’m doing this so there is no intervention or torque reduction from abs/ traction ecm , it can take signals from gear box position and road speed and affect the engine ecm .

Some of the Citroen automatic models do strange things when you replace just one axle set of tyres , they won’t change gears properly and hold back on power , my own auto Citroen c5 did this after I replaced front tyres only .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Esp is traction control , yes try it with traction disabled see how it goes , if no better try it with the abs fuse pulled out , if you lose the speedo doing this try unplugging one of the rear abs sensors .

I’m doing this so there is no intervention or torque reduction from abs/ traction ecm , it can take signals from gear box position and road speed and affect the engine ecm .

Some of the Citroen automatic models do strange things when you replace just one axle set of tyres , they won’t change gears properly and hold back on power , my own auto Citroen c5 did this after I replaced front tyres only .
Thanks again mechcanico.
I'll try this (not today as it's snowing heavily) and see how it goes. It certainly makes sense that it might affect performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts