15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 peugeot 306 xsi and have a weird problem with my gauges
When i turn up my interior fan speed, my coolant temp goes up and my fuel gauge
I guess its something electrical but i dont really know

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would guess it's going to be a dodgy earth connection somewhere - likely one of the ones inside the dashboard.

Be best to find a decent wiring diagram as it should show the location of all the wiring earth points on the car.

Had intermittent ABS warning light illuminating on my old 405 of 1995 vintage - traced that to a dodgy plug in earth connection behind the glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the problem has now gotten worse.
When I use my indicators, the dash gauges blink and when I turn up the fan speed, everything goes crazy. All the dash lights come on and my rear windscreen wiper starts going.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This era Peugeot used a stupid plug in earth for some of the smaller wiring connections which are likely to be found behind the dash.

The best thing for these is cut the multiplug off, crimp & solder a decent ring terminal to the earth wires then bolt it on to nice shiny metal after removing the stupid earth fingers that Peugeot used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking around and found this brown thing behind the battery which looks like it should be bolted to something. Does anyone know what it is and if it needs to be bolted somewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's a double relay module that IIRC powers up the engine ECU & they do go wrong.

On my old 405s of 94 & 95 vintage it was bolted to the slam panel - on a 306 I've no idea where it should be bolted to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is bolted to various places over the years strut tower fusebox battery box etc but its not earthed so it wont be your issue
Ok thanks
Another thing I found is these two green and yellow wires (I assume ground wires) just hanging by the pedals not grounded to anything. The big one has M05 on it. Are these supposed to be grounded?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Fingers crossed you might have found the problem - looks like it's detached itself from the bodyshell.

M05 is a chassis ground point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts