Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

We just bought an old 307sw. Had it less than two weeks and have already spent almost as much on repairs as we spent on the vehicle itself. That's OK, though, because the cars quite nice.

Here's a video showing the sound our car is now making. On the way back from work it lost power (a common issue, I see) but unlike other reports, our engine started making a scratching noise. The best way to describe it is as if something has been sucked into the engine and is being bounced around inside it. Eventually it seems to settle somewhere and goes quiet. You can hear this in the video. Ignoring the scratching sound, the engine itself sounds normal, not like it's misfiring or anything.

I can also see the belt to the left of the engine, and that's fine. It's due for a change, but hasn't failed that I can see. (Is it possible to fail but not snap?)

Car: 307 SW 1.6 HDI (red I, 110bhp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkaY1gSaWU4

Any thoughts on the cause?

More things to note:

It drives slow, but gear changes are fine. We managed to get the car home fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rattling sound

I would be looking at any revolving items such as the crankshaft pulley, any belt driven pulley or belt tensioner pulleys. The audio on my computer doesn't' allow my poor ears to pinpoint the sound but at a rough guess I wouldn't be surprised to find a failed bearing on a tensioner pulley. good luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sound turboish to me. Unscrew the clamp and pull the air pipe off the turbo (to the right when standing in front of the car) and then try moving the turbo shaft. If there is more that a mm or so of movement then the turbo has had it. Check for metal swarf as well.
Might not be that at all though, hard to tell from the video, but lack of power would link to no turbo.
The 1.6 hdi 110 needs regular oil changes (every 6k or so) with the correct low sap c2 grade oil. If you don't have a proper service history then you could be in for more expense.
Edit your profile to show where you are. There may be a member nearby with Peugeot Planet who would be will to give the car a quick once over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers for your input, guys.

I thought Turbo to start with, but it really is a more metallic scraping sound rather than an air/turbo sound. The scratching started at exactly the same time as the power loss. You may still be right though!

We were promised, but did not get, "official" full service history, however we did get a comprehensive pack of receipts, and can see what's been done, and we knew there would be some work when we took it on. I can also see that back when the car was new it was maintained. (It's an oldie from 2005)

(Further inspection shows that the car is probably still running the same brake disks from 2013, which were mentioned on the MOT from that time, but then no record of them being changed, and the one listed on the advisory is still the most worn disk- I suspect we've got a "mate-job" on the MOT pass, which happened the day before we bought it.)

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks! I'm a little concerned it might be an "Accept your mistake and cut your losses" thing!

[Profile updated! :) We're from Macclesfield.]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ah OK probably not turbo then.
I would measure the brake disc thickness and if they are below the limit then I would considered reporting the MOT station that issued the certificate a couple of weeks ago. Brakes are not something that should be left.
Does sound like a bearing though. You could always run the engine very briefly with the auxiliary belt off (doing this can damage the crank pulley damper, but it might be that anyway!). If the noise disappears then you've began to narrow it down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rattling sound

Don't forget to check the cam belt pulleys , if any are defective I would guess
that it would effect the power output or at least activate the "limp mode".

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I'd still check the turbo. If there is excessive movement the vanes could be scraping the inside of the chamber. As others have said it could be a pulley or belt tensioner. Try taking off the auxiliary belt and try again see if the noise is still present. If not then you've narrowed it down to one of the pulleys associated with the belt.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Before you have a go at the mot station consider this.
I was an mot tester for many years, an mot certificate only means a car met certain minimum requirements for a number of safety and emissions items on the day of the test.
I have seen cars which I passed a day or so previously with illegal tyres and brake discs that weren't on the car when I tested it. I've even seen a car with old wiper blades in place of the new ones I checked.
Brake discs aren't necessarily easy to check with the wheels on, during a test nothing is to be removed, missing wheel nuts can be hidden by a hubcap.
A full service with the wheels and brake drums off and covers and undertrays removed will reveal how much work is needed, just because something passes an mot test it may well be worn and due replacement.

Roger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mot

Off topic but Rusty roger has a valid point, from personal experience I have witnessed wheels/tyres, brake drums etc. fitted for the test only to be removed immediately after:nono:. Re the noise though it sounded to me on the video as the noise wasn't quite in sync with the engine revs - maybe a quarter or half engine speed , don't know how the Turbo spin speed fits in with that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not to add FUD to this story, i'm REALLY inclined to believe his problem is on the engine head. Maybe not... any how, good luck :)

Regarding MOT, or whatever is called in your country, leave them be. I've seen people do a exquisite operation to their 4x4 just for it to pass the MOT (like lowering, removing spacers, removing tires, removing all sort of things just for it to pass MOT anually).

Things in PT are now MUCH more serious, after a series of arrests. Cars have cameras all the way during MOT, and the emissions test is validated by a central server, but even then, i can remove my xenon bulbs, and whatnot so it passes inspection. After that, put them back in :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, thanks guys. I wasn't going to go nuts at the MOT station, but I was interested in knowing if the items were tested so I could go back to the guy who sold us the car and ask what was going on; If it's not already illegal, it should be (to get an MOT then replace the parts with faulty/worn ones that would not pass, then sell the car with MOT.)

I do suspect multiple things have been changed on the car- it's also noticable from the video that there are a couple of actual missing parts!

I'm getting the vehicle looked at tomorrow (by somebody unrelated to the initial purchase/MOT, somebody recommended.)

I've got lots of painful questions for them (including "Have I been royally done over with this vehicle.")

As for it being the Turbo, I thought this only kicks in at a certain point, but the engine is making a racket right from start. We can't get the revs high enough to trigger turbo (I've watched a few other videos of the car with the turbo being activated and I'm pretty sure ours isn't even reaching the point where the actuator/valve kicks in- I may be mistaken.)

Anyway, thanks for your input guys. I'm pretty sure it's a pulley issue from your comments. We'll see tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update:

The garage took one look at it up the ramp, looked at us, and said,

"Where did you get this?"

Basically, Clutch, Flywheel, Pipes all knackered, and multiple points of MOT failure that are unlikely to have been swapped out.

The car is unroadworthy, and we're looking at a false-passed MOT here.

Damn shame, because it was a nice car!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
With that being the case I'd be looking at getting a solicitor to send a letter to the seller seeking recompense for the money already spent on this and possibly notifying the police of their fraudulent actions as they are surely complicit in getting a bogus MOT certificate and selling the car as roadworthy when they knew it wasn't. If they knew enough to take it somewhere that deals with dodgy mot's they obviously knew they needed their services.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've gone to the CAB, VOSA, Trading Standards, and got a copy of the original advert (which also had some incorrect information) and they're being investigated.

Stuff's hit the fan here!

Not sure what pictures are going to do, but I'll have a comprehensive list of faults from the garage at the end of the day!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry to hear it has turned out Bad for you Damien and I wish you luck with the outcome,
Maybe naming and shaming both the dealer and MOT station( if allowed on the forum) may benefit forum members who might otherwise get involved with either in the future.

·
Registered
596 Posts
We've gone to the CAB, VOSA, Trading Standards, and got a copy of the original advert (which also had some incorrect information) and they're being investigated.

Stuff's hit the fan here!

Not sure what pictures are going to do, but I'll have a comprehensive list of faults from the garage at the end of the day!
Didn't meant to intrude on your privacy :)

But this bit got me puzzled:

Basically, Clutch, Flywheel, Pipes all knackered...
Is this visible ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers.

After we're done I'll post details about the incident. The MOT station has been in trouble before!

Didn't meant to intrude on your privacy :)

But this bit got me puzzled:

Is this visible ?
They were for a brief time (when we got it up a ramp), but we didn't go ahead with repairs due to the discovery we had not been sold what we expected. It was just a quick 5 minute look that showed problems with all of the above to some degree. Other damage was plainly visible even with my own eyes from a short distance away- like severe rust to the additive tank support (that was less than ~5mm away from snapping) the brake disks, and other parts under the car. Some parts of the car were flat out missing (fair enough, they may not have been required, but they should still be there.) I could also see coolant leaking from the vehicle at quite some pace.

I trust the garage who's doing the tests today, as they deal with quite a few of my friends vehicles. He may find that indeed not everything mentioned is as bad as it first seemed, but that seems unlikely.

I did find it funny that he guessed the MOT station used- they must have a bad name!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you intend to name and shame, make sure you stick to facts that can be verified rather than expressing an opinion. That pretty much means keeping quiet until VOSA, Trading Standards and CAB have done their work.
I'm saying this because some forums have been shut down as a result of libel actions. A dodgy mot station might not take such action, but big businesses have done this.

Roger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts